Ultra-processed foods (Read 1274 times)

Ostrich runner

Just beginning to, um, digest this. Thoughts?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Christirei

I am a food lover to the core and because of multiple food allergies in my family we eat gluten and casein free and mostly corn  free as well. Like the article said, we primarily only eat foods from the first unprocessed category with some foods from the second box, but it is a huge committment. I cook from home every day and most afternoons I am cooking from scratch so that we have plenty of things to eat during the week, it takes a lot of time! I make my own tomato sauces, all of our own baked goods, granola, even clarified butter. It's expensive and time consuming, but definitely worth it. My family is extremely healthy and I feel great. In fact, since I started running and eliminated gluten from my diet, the chronic migraines I used to suffer from have almost all been eliminated. The article is a good one and worth reading

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Anyone want to, um, weigh in on PopTarts?

You had me at the introduction

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

xor

"Nature's" "perfect" "meal"

Beef,

just skimmed through that article, very good.  Although I don't  consume a large portion of processed foods,  I know that my diet could use alittle bit more "tweaking".  that article gives more motivation to do so.

still think that pb & banana sandwiches are "natures's perfect meal".  hey at least its on wheat bread!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

It's pretty depressing to think about really.

Even tho we don't use that many processed foods here either.

steph  

Ostrich runner

I haven't read the linked commentary pdfs, but that front page did strike me especially about bread. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is just an article about ontologic classification. It really does nothing to support assertions that one class is necessarily healthier or less healthy than another.  I'm not sure the point he is making.

BTW, I had a veggie hot dog last night.  With saurkraut.  And a RyePA beer.  Yummy!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

pb & banana sandwiches are "natures's perfect meal".  hey at least its on wheat bread!

According to the article:

- pb = processed

- bananas = food (although as we get them, they are arguably processed)

- bread = ultraprocessed

These classes don't help us discern whether the sandwich, nature's perfect meal, is healthy or unhealthy.

Wheat.  A perfect food.  Would you eat it as is?  Nope, you are likely, at a minimum, to grind it and add hot water. That is processing, by the article's definition.  I agree, it sure is.  Does that make whole wheat porridge unhealthy?  BTW, add a touch of honey to it and, by the article's definition, it becomes ultraprocessed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes.

According to the article. PopTarts, nature's perfect meal, are ultraprocessed.  So they are no different from the whole wheat porridge with a taste of honey.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I cook

The moment you cook and combine ingredients, according to the article, you are ultraprocessing foods.

BTW, add a touch of honey to it and, by the article's definition, it becomes ultraprocessed.

Or a little olive oil over a bowl of vegetables. Most people would call it salad. They call it ultraprocessed.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

"Nature's" "perfect" "snack"

FTFY

It takes a box of them to make a meal.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What I find cool is that most of the milk we drink is ultraprocessed, according to the article.  At a minimum, it is processed.  But most milk is homogenized by a process (heh) that dissembles it into component molecules in big vats (i.e., fat over here, water over there) and reassembles it to spec.