Yet again I find myself in the market for a new Garmin (Read 347 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I purchased the 410 back in 2011, loved it. Last week the wrist band ripped because 1: I had no idea I could take them off and clean inside (go figure), 2: Too much water.

So I purchased another one, love it. It is simple and easy to use. I got it off Amazon for $194.00.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Everydog

I just got a 110. First GPS of any kind and I only had a heart rate monitor once, a hundred years ago. I like the thing a lot. Kept going into power save on the treadmill and spin bike when I wanted to see my heart rate. It seems it only senses activity though GPS working, Not sure.  I took the advice from various reviews that current pace isn't necessary but that actually seems like it would be nice for fartlek stuff or compound intervals   and in rolling hills .  As you all probably know, the HR monitor can help with this by watching effort instead of pace but  I would like to see the current pace.

I just got a 110. First GPS of any kind and I only had a heart rate monitor once, a hundred years ago. I like the thing a lot. Kept going into power save on the treadmill and spin bike when I wanted to see my heart rate. It seems it only senses activity though GPS working, Not sure.  I took the advice from various reviews that current pace isn't necessary but that actually seems like it would be nice for fartlek stuff or compound intervals   and in rolling hills .  As you all probably know, the HR monitor can help with this by watching effort instead of pace but  I would like to see the current pace.

Indoor mode and current pace (as well as a lap time display) are features of the 210, not the 110.

Runners run

No more marathons

I  I would like to see the current pace.

Current "real time" pace or current lap pace?  Not sure how helpful the first is because it can change greatly not by anything you do but a momentary blip in satelite connection.  I keep my gps set with a 1 mile lap and average pace for that lap.  Not quite as instananeous feedback as current pace, but enough to let you know if you are speeding up or slowing down.  And most likely more accurate.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Current pace has gotten a lot better on the newer Garmins. It stays pretty stable if your pace stays the same. I don't have much use for it, but I played around with it and it does work.

Runners run

jfa

I splurged and bought a new 610 when they first came out a couple of years ago.I  liked it, especially the display but it had hardware problems.

It  was a long saga but as a credit to their tech support , Garmin replaced it for free, 6 times!  In what I figure was one of those rush a new product to market deals, each replacement had a different issue. But they did get it right. This last one has been very good .Been using it now for at least 6 months without a problem.

Indoor mode and current pace (as well as a lap time display) are features of the 210, not the 110.

There is an indoor mode on the 110.

There is an indoor mode on the 110.

Okay then maybe it's user error on Everydog's part?

Runners run

runlikeagirI

I splurged and bought a new 610 when they first came out a couple of years ago.I  liked it, especially the display but it had hardware problems.

It  was a long saga but as a credit to their tech support , Garmin replaced it for free, 6 times!  In what I figure was one of those rush a new product to market deals, each replacement had a different issue. But they did get it right. This last one has been very good .Been using it now for at least 6 months without a problem.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware problems have you had?  I got mine about 6 months ago because I was sick of the band on my 405 breaking every few months.  For the most part I love the 610, but I have had issues with it corrupting workout files that won't transfer to garmin connect which I have to delete to avoid having trouble with subsequent files, screen freezing 3 miles into a long run and requiring a reset, etc.

Everydog

Operator error on my part wrt indoor on/off on the 110. Don't think it gives current pace.

jfa

Just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware problems have you had?  I got mine about 6 months ago because I was sick of the band on my 405 breaking every few months.  For the most part I love the 610, but I have had issues with it corrupting workout files that won't transfer to garmin connect which I have to delete to avoid having trouble with subsequent files, screen freezing 3 miles into a long run and requiring a reset, etc.

Mine ran the gamut from powering itself off, to freezing, to not getting satellites, to stopping in the middle of a run, etc.

Have you updated your software regularly? Have you tried calling their tech support? They are very helpful and in the USA.

At one point, I had an intermittent problem that they could not fix. I just lied to them and told them it powered itself off all the time (previous issue). They can't really argue with that and they sent a replacement. If you do get a replacement, ask for a new one, not a refurbished one.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Current pace has gotten a lot better on the newer Garmins. It stays pretty stable if your pace stays the same. I don't have much use for it, but I played around with it and it does work.

Who is this Garmin-loving freak that has hijacked mikeymike's account?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

ik,r?

Runners run

xor

Adding something not worthwhile, but on the subject of "rushing a product to market".  I could say the same thing about the 310xt.  I have one of the first units.  This thing has done every "my gadget is possessed" trick you can imagine... all the typical garmin weird issues, plus three things: 1) it will, on rare occasion, just take off on its own and suddenly tell me I'm running a 5-something mile (when I'm really running 9ish), 2) (related) it will, on not-so-rare occasion, tell me I'm collecting distance while standing still.  Seriously, it'll keep on counting away, and 3) it will, always, if it loses signal and the reacquires it, do something mighty spooky. It is supposed to do a straight line approximation from where it lost to where it reacquired... but not mine, nope.  If I go into 7-11, hear the "loss of signal" chirp, and then come back out, I will find that I just covered anywhere from .2 to 1 mile.

But that's all just weird.  Here's an ACTUAL hardware problem my unit exhibits... I didn't believe it could be hardware at first.  Thought I had a firmware issue or was just missing a setting.  Three years later, I finally confirmed it is hardware.  My Garmin can't tell time.  For real.  And, given how GPSes work, this is amazingly odd.  And I don't mean a timezone offset... I mean that my Garmin 310xt thinks it is some completely random time. Even though (location, time) is exactly what GPS operates with.

My Garmin tells me that it is currently 5:00p.  It is actually 2:32.

(I get asked almost weekly, "why are you wearing two watches?")

Can't be fixed.

#artbydmcbride

I think you got the 'alien' edition  Big grin

Runners run