10 Rules for Running (Read 630 times)

Julia1971

This is my running and isn't meant as an insult to anyone who does/believes differently.  And, I probably have more but with 10 minutes of thought...

1.  Make running every day a habit.

2.  If you don't plan to succeed, you plan to fail - make a plan and stick to it.

3.  Quitting is not an option.

4.  Replace your shoes regularly.

5.  There's no shame in getting faster slowly.

6.  Recovery runs can't be too slow

7.  Long runs can be run to fast - save the racing for race day.

8.  What you tell yourself on training runs is what you'll tell yourself on race day so always be positive.

9.  There's always someone faster than you.

10.  High five the kids - especially the girls.  Smile

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

This is my running and isn't meant as an insult to anyone who does/believes differently.  And, I probably have more but with 10 minutes of thought...

1.  Make running every day a habit.

2.  If you don't plan to succeed, you plan to fail - make a plan and stick to it.

3.  Quitting is not an option.

4.  Replace your shoes regularly.

5.  There's no shame in getting faster slowly.

6.  Recovery runs can't be too slow

7.  Long runs can be run to fast - save the racing for race day.

8.  What you tell yourself on training runs is what you'll tell yourself on race day so always be positive.

9.  There's always someone faster than you.

10.  High five the kids - especially the girls.  Smile

+1

steph  

Why is it sideways?

Been thinking about this for a while:

1. Show up.

2. Run hard twice a week.

3. Go fast when you feel good.

4. Don't chase numbers.

5. Race your friends.

6. Don't be a wimp.

7. Appreciate the good ones.

8. Forget the bad ones.

9. Marathons suck.

10. Believe.

Roses Revenge

1.  Start

2.  Finish

3.  Have fun

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

some call me Tim

1. On training runs, always start slower than you really want to.

2. Include at least some small amount of stress on every run.

3. Make a training schedule.

4. At least once a week, change up your workout or blow off a day based on how you feel.

5. Occasionally do a long run without extra water or fuel. Don't be stupid about it.

6. Run on the flat and the hills and the roads and the trails.

7. No stretching! But set aside 10 minutes a day for joint mobility and deep tissue work.

8. Run with other people as often as is practical, regardless of pace.

9. Always show up early.

10. Race like you don't care if you eat it.

Hoban-Jay

1.  Start

2.  Finish

3.  Have fun

4. Repeat.

Jeff F

Free Beer

ShockedShockedShocked  What?

A very cold can in a very hot shower.

Preferably with a friend.

+1

9. Marathons suck.

I completely agree.

The ramifications of that rule don't sink in quickly enough.

If there is a continuum with endurance at one end and speed at the other, while not above average at either, I'm much closer to the speed end. And yet, I continue to chase after better marathon times. Even in the midst of a 20 mile run I'll think to myself, "marathon training sucks, why am I doing this," and then eventually remember, "the whole marathon experience kind of sucks." And while there may exist some amount of satisfaction in simply finishing a marathon, the distance has a way of leaving me disappointed and entirely drained every single time. The whole time knowing that I actually enjoy racing shorter distances.

Vexing.

#artbydmcbride

Been thinking about this for a while:

1. Show up.

2. Run hard twice a week.

3. Go fast when you feel good.

4. Don't chase numbers.

5. Race your friends.

6. Don't be a wimp.

7. Appreciate the good ones.

8. Forget the bad ones.

9. Trent sucks.

10. Believe.

Cool

Runners run

northernman

Fight The Future

1. Don't forget the nipple tape

2. Underwear first, then pants (this is important)

3. Music is nice

4. Audiobooks are nice

5. Silence is nice, too

6. Relax

7. There is no secret sauce (to training)

8. "Be" there for the run

9. Running is stupid

10. Not running is even stupider

1. Don't forget the nipple tape

2. Underwear first, then pants (this is important)

3. Music is nice

4. Audiobooks are nice

5. Silence is nice, too

6. Relax

7. There is no secret sauce (to training)

8. "Be" there for the run

9. Running is stupid

10. Not running is even stupider

Nipple tape, yes. Forgot that one. Also, bodyglide the inner thighs.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

DaBurger

1              Run because you enjoy it.  (find a reason: it feels good, PRs are addicting, it’s cool to run through parks…etc )

2              Listen to your body, not your gadgets

3              Understand that plans are made so you can change them

4              If you feel good every day for a week, you’ve probably got more to give

5              If you feel like crap every day for a week, you’re doing it wrong

6              Have a long term (i.e. 6 weeks ->6 month time frame) goal for your training

7              Trust your training

8              Race intelligently, but not fearfully

9              Don’t panic

And on goal race day keep this in mind:

10           "What's the worst that can happen. You can go out on pace, blow the fuck up and the last (few) mile(s) will suck. You'll live. Better than than lying in bed at 3 in the freaking morning for the next month or two knowing you COULD have done it if you hadn't been such a pansy ass."

Know thyself.

sugnim

10           "What's the worst that can happen. You can go out on pace, blow the fuck up and the last (few) mile(s) will suck. You'll live. Better than than lying in bed at 3 in the freaking morning for the next month or two knowing you COULD have done it if you hadn't been such a pansy ass."

Before the HM I did this past July, a sports psychologist gave a talk about mental strategies to our running club.  He said something like, "What's the worst that could happen?  You shit yourself and it runs down your legs.  Big deal, you move on."  I live in a smallish town where you can't go anywhere without seeing someone you know.  Shitting yourself in a race in front of everyone would be a HUGE deal, IMHO.  On race day, I kept imagining this happening, and it was an awful image that I couldn't shake.

joescott

1.  The night before clear the path to your clothes and shoes.  Otherwise in the dark trying not to wake your DW you will step on a small Barbie shoe, a Lego, DW's hair dryer plug or an awkwardly situated belt buckle for sure.

2.  Get the coffee down first thing so it can do its "magic" before you're out the door and then you don't have to take along the TP.

3.  Fix the stupid garage door keypad so you don't have to stand there punching in the code 5 times to get the door to close.

4.  Start slow.  Not because you really want to, but because apparently in spite of all your efforts to deny Father Time his due you really are getting older and stiffer and you can't just blast down the driveway like you used to could.

5.  Wash your running shorts every 4 or 5 runs, whether they need it or not.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DaBurger

Before the HM I did this past July, a sports psychologist gave a talk about mental strategies to our running club.  He said something like, "What's the worst that could happen?  You shit yourself and it runs down your legs.  Big deal, you move on."  I live in a smallish town where you can't go anywhere without seeing someone you know.  Shitting yourself in a race in front of everyone would be a HUGE deal, IMHO.  On race day, I kept imagining this happening, and it was an awful image that I couldn't shake.

Random guy on the internet says, "well, if everyone watching me race saw that happened, at least I was racing while they were chilling out on the sides."  And most people I race with are on board with the "that takes guts" mentality, and wouldn't give you too much shit.

...Though I was getting to the starting line for my race last night and squeezed past some girl who said "Oh, you're already sweaty"

Know thyself.