More 'obsolete browser' weirdness... (Read 92 times)

Mr MattM

So, I had an issue with the most recent IE10 version reporting as an obsolete browers here on RA.  I downgraded back to IE9 and everything worked fine.

Now, as of today, when I browse to RA I get the obsolete browser box again.  Still on IE9.  When I enable the developer tools it shows the browser mode as 'IE9 Compat VIew' and the Document Mode as 'IE7 standards'.  What the hell?  It doesn't happen on other sites.  This.Is.Weird.

be curious; not judgmental

eric :)

Matt,

I was able to reproduce the problem a while ago on IE10.  It reverted back to IE7 mode.  After i disabled compatibility mode and restarted the browser, the problem never came back.  I also have seen the problem on IE8 and the training plan editor.  It kept reverting back to IE7 mode.  I believe in both cases, the problem was IE detected a rendering problem with the HTML created by JavaScript.

I was not able to figure out the problem in IE8 and the training plan editor since the generated HTML is standards compliant as far as I know.  It is possible that the ads you're getting are triggering compatibility mode too.

As for other sites, IE9/10 may or may not render in IE7 mode, depending on the ads.  I gather disabling compatibility does not fix the problem?  What happens if you change the doc mode back to IE9/10?

Mr MattM

Hey Eric,

If I manually change the rendering then the site displays properly.  If I don't change it, then the site has some funky display stuff.  Either way, the obsolete browser box stays... and, the next time I connect to RA, IE reverts back to the IE9 Compat View witrh IE7 Standards.

I haven't had time to play around with it yet, but I'll do more digging later.

Mr MattM

Ok, so I went into Internet Options and reset the Advanced tab.  Problem appears to be resolved.  Weird.

Come on, Admit it.  You are using a Radio Shack Tandy TRS-80.  

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Mr MattM

No... I upgraded to the 1000SX with the 8087 math co-processor.  Smokin' fast!  I mostly play King's Quest and surf BBSes over my 1200bps modem.

IE? Why? Chrome, Firefox etc. all run on Windows...

Mmmmm...beer

With the cassette tape drive!  Damn we're old. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!