Nike drops Armstrong sponsorship. (Read 882 times)

I heard this on the news this morning, definitely  a decision they should have made long ago.

They also continued to support Tiger Woods although in my view his morals made him a serious liability,  his apologies notwithstanding.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

AFAIK they still support Michael Vick, too.  I really love Nike's shoes and running clothes, but I am not at all fond of some of "the company they keep."

Trek also dropped Armstrong, which I think might be a bigger deal than Nike dropping him.  Lance is pretty much the only really household name associated with that brand.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

They also continued to support Tiger Woods although in my view his morals made him a serious liability,  his apologies notwithstanding.

Help me understand this.

Lance Lance Underpants never owned up to what all the evidence says he did. Sure, question his morals, I get that.

Tiger openly admitted his errors and has tried to make amends. And yet you still question his morals? If you make a moral error, does that mean no amount of apology should allow you to move on?

Prince of Fatness

Tiger openly admitted his errors and has tried to make amends. And yet you still question his morals? If you make a moral error, does that mean no amount of apology should allow you to move on?

Agree.  Same could be said about Vick.  He paid more of a price than Tiger did (rightly so), but from what I see he is trying to be a model citizen now.

Not at it at all. 

In addition to what Trent said, the moral failings of Tiger, Kobe and others were not directly tied to his athletic achievements.

I certainly don't consider Tiger a role model for marriage, but I still appreciate his talent and work ethic with regards to golf.  So I think from marketing standpoint for golf apparel, the sponsorship still works.  When you think of good golfers whose name comes up first.  Unless you are serious golf fan familiar with the world rankings, it's still Tiger.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

BeeRunB

Help me understand this.

Lance Lance Underpants never owned up to what all the evidence says he did. Sure, question his morals, I get that.

"Once the cloth of the soul has been stained, it can never be pure again" --Mo R. Allypure, author of  The Ascension Of My Undies

xor

"The Skidmarks of my Soul"

--Tom Jones

(from the same album that "What's New Pussycat" was on)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"Once the cloth of the soul has been stained, it can never be pure again" --Mo R. Allypure, author of  The Ascension Of My Undies

"He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone" -- some dude

dennrunner

"He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone" -- some dude

That's Dude to some of us.

But, yeah.

Dude from the Big Lebowski?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

xor

The Passion of The Dude.

The Last Temptation of The Dude.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Followed after only three days, by The Return of the Dude !

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.