Funny Observations while running (Read 1311 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I've been asked for money many times while running, and I always wonder what these people are thinking - especially because a few of them have been very persistent and insisted that they knew I had money that I didn't want to give to them. Do I honestly look like I'm carrying a bunch of money in my running shorts?
    Ditto.....Don"t you just love urban America. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

Today I spent a mile of a 5k running behind a guy wearing only his Fruit-of-the-Loom whitey-tighties. Had I been in less pain at the time, I suspect it would have been pretty funny. And now I finally understand why my better half keeps trying to talk me into boxers.
      See ...you CAN learn something valuable while racing. And you learn things you didnt want to know reading forums. Less reading, more racing.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Old, Slow, Happy

I live in the country in a farming area. I run early on Sunday morning (5:30 am). I was running past a house about 1 mile from home. I heard a noise and saw the male resident of the house standing on the front porch, about 30 feet from the road, relieving himself. I can't believe the front porch is closer to the bedroom than the bathroom. He was turned away from the road, so all I saw was man-butt. I hate to see man-butt!!! It ruined the remainder of my run. GAWD!!!! I hate man-butt!!!!!
          I see lots of people on bikes that make me look twice. Yesterday I saw a guy wearing one of those tear-drop speed trial bike helmets on a el cheapo mountain bike that sounded like it was falling apart. In the past I've seen chubbies wearing matching jersey/shorts combos on beach cruisers. One of my favorites is the guy on the recumbent that's totally sealed with the racing helmet wearing Chuck Taylors and non-matching knee high athletic socks (I don't know what else he might be wearing cuz I can't see the rest of him). The dude does hell though, I'll give him that.
          2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
            This happened two Saturdays in a row, about 6 months ago. It was still dark, and I was just running through my neighborhood with my iPod on (please dont' hate me). Anyway, I hear this rather loud noise coming from a parked car. I look over and there's a guy snoring in the front, drivers side seat with the window down. Now, I don't even want to know why he was there. So drunk he couldn't make it to the house? Wife/girlfriend was so mad he wasn't even allowed to sleep on the couch? Either way, scared me half to death.
              On my run through a local park this morning I saw a man teaching his dog to pick up litter and throw it in the trashcan. I think it was a border collie, and it almost had the trick worked out. He was having trouble actually dropping the litter into the top of the can, but he was pretty close. Not really sure how useful this would actually be. I guess its good to see the pet population practice a little environmental stewardship. Wink
              - Tony
                While running by a park I saw a woman walking her cat on a leash. A couple of dogs got loose from another person and immediately went after the woman's cat. The poor cat would get into a defensive posture. Just as a dog was about to snap at it, the woman would pull the leash and swing the cat around through the air to get it away from the dog. I really felt for the cat, repeatedly finding itself dropped into a dangerous spot, then, just as it was about to defend itself, ripped away and airborne and the incident repeated. I ran in to help, but the dogs had been restrained before I got there. The cat looked traumatized but unharmed.

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

I had to run past 15 or so vultures this morning who were snacking on a dead deer. I just politely said "good morning" and they just stared at me. They're kind of creepy that close.

- Anya

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I was visiting my brother in Knoxville a couple years ago. While running in the downtown area, near a Salvation Army or some such shelter, I was approached several times by the clientele panhandling for spare change. I mean, I'm in running shorts and a tank top running shirt, how much money am I gonna have on me?
                    A similar thing happened to me the other month. I was running on a stretch of sidewalk and this kid stepped out and asked me to make a donation to his HS basketball team... I just gave him a quizacle "are you serious?" look as I passed by. Conversely, when I visited Boston in May I'd run by a 7-11 every morning. The resident bum at that location was far more savvy and didn't ask for change, rather just nodded at me. Last year, in the local Sprint triathlon, a kid decided to run in UA underwear. I guess he thought they were compression shorts? However, the Y front is typically a dead giveaway...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

A similar thing happened to me the other month. I was running on a stretch of sidewalk and this kid stepped out and asked me to make a donation to his HS basketball team... I just gave him a quizacle "are you serious?" look as I passed by.
                      I've had people try to sell me StreetWise (newsletter that homeless/unemployed people sell in Chicago area) while I'm running. Not only do I not have money with me, but I don't really want to carry a newsletter with me for the remainder of my run lol.
                        On my run through a local park this morning I saw a man teaching his dog to pick up litter and throw it in the trashcan. I think it was a border collie, and it almost had the trick worked out. He was having trouble actually dropping the litter into the top of the can, but he was pretty close. Not really sure how useful this would actually be. I guess its good to see the pet population practice a little environmental stewardship. Wink
                        I so wish I could teach my dog this trick! Just think of the possibilities! I could then teach her to pick up all the laundry and put it in the hamper! And to pick up all of her toys rather than leave them strewn all over the house. Hmm...
                        2009 Goals:
                        PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                        Run a 10K
                        Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                        Complete my first Sprint Tri

Maggie & Molly

While running by a park I saw a woman walking her cat on a leash. A couple of dogs got loose from another person and immediately went after the woman's cat. The poor cat would get into a defensive posture. Just as a dog was about to snap at it, the woman would pull the leash and swing the cat around through the air to get it away from the dog. I really felt for the cat, repeatedly finding itself dropped into a dangerous spot, then, just as it was about to defend itself, ripped away and airborne and the incident repeated. I ran in to help, but the dogs had been restrained before I got there. The cat looked traumatized but unharmed.
                          I'm truly sorry but this is incredibly funny I mean not really funny and I am an animal lover but boy it made me laugh out loud.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Could I hire the guy teaching his dog to pick up trash to teach my kid to bring his dishes downstairs from his room? I was running in a city park the other day and was slowly crossing the road to pick up the trail on the other side when a roadie (road bike rider) came whipping over the hill at 30+ mph (speed limit is 20 mph) and starts yelling at me to "get across the road". Bull! Does he yell at the deer, too? Sorry to be encroaching on YOUR private course...D-bag! Roll eyes TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

~Gordo~

So here is what I saw on my run this morning. All of these items were in the middle of the bike lane, spaced almost exactly the same distance apart. I don't know if someone put them there on purpose or it was just happenstance. Either way I found it quite amusing and was a little disappointed when I went past the last item. 1. A single Uno card, a green #1 2. A plain white shoe with no laces 3. A shoe lace in the shape of the number 8 4. 3 Budweiser beer bottles in a triangular shape 5. A black studded "dog" collar (I'm certain a person was wearing it at one time) It was almost like a scavenger hunt, but I made the list up as I ran along.
                              !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~

Yoda the 4-eared cat

A few weeks back i was running along the wide smooth path towards the park favoured by roller-bladers etc. and I saw a guy on bionic stilts. Shocked Well, i don't know what they are really called but he had his feet strapped into stilts shaped like a disabled athlete's artificial running leg - a curved length of flexible material. So this guy is now about 8 feet tall and running with huge strides up and down the path. I so wish I'd had a camera. He made me think of an ostrich.