Covid 19 (Read 326 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If there's not a cloud in the sky, do you folks get miffed by people who carry around umbrellas?

If people want to continue to wear masks for the next five years, let them.  It affects zero people.

The anti-mask folks have gone from "I cannot breath with this annoying thing that is supposed to protect other people, but does nothing for me" to "it annoys me that other people are still wearing the mask that I couldn't breath in because I need everything to look like it did in Jan 2020."  or more likely, "I need to find a way to continue to make partisan arguments about how the libs are dumb, but over precautious masking is all I got right now until Biden bans another Dr. Suess book."

Anti-masking was a problem because it put public heath in danger.

Over-masking causes no problems for anyone.

It is human nature to infer from someone else's choices an unspoken judgment about your own choices.  It's not limited to masks.  Dietary choices, stay-at-home versus work choices, and even marathon training choices.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

It is human nature to infer from someone else's choices an unspoken judgment about your own choices.  It's not limited to masks.  Dietary choices, stay-at-home versus work choices, and even marathon training choices.

I kind of feel like if you are secure in yourself, it really doesn't matter what other people do, say, or think. I learned long ago that I don't give a shit if someone judges me.

JMac11

Taper Czar

If there's not a cloud in the sky, do you folks get miffed by people who carry around umbrellas?

If I saw someone using an umbrella on a cloudless night, I would laugh at them. Nobody is saying we are "miffed" or angry at these people. I saw a guy running at 5 am with an N95 mask on just last week. Hilarious. But when 71% of a party believes people should still be staying at home, it directly bleeds into culture and society and DOES directly impact you. Case in point: businesses still requiring masks for vaccinated people. Many employers in NYC are REQUIRING you to wear a mask all day long, even if vaccinated, because of this lack of nuance. All under this idea of "variants," "breakthrough exposure" or some other thing that just allows people to continue to believe nothing has changed.

You also directly proved my point by completely missing the entire discussion around nuance and assuming this is the "anti-mask" crowd, when most of us (as Teresa pointed out) were vigilant mask wearers who avoided all risky activities (e.g. indoor dining). ETA: you proved DW's point that you assumed it's the anti-mask crowd.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:15:28 (3/20)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Next Race: Whatever COVID-19 will allow me to run 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

...until Biden bans another Dr. Suess book."

Biden didn't ban any Dr Seuss books. That was a decision of the publisher.

2021 Races:

05/15/21 - 3DATF 50K

07/03/21 - Hainesport 12-hour

TBD - 100K (maybe)
               TBD - 24-hour (maybe)

Biden didn't ban any Dr Seuss books. That was a decision of the publisher.

I believe that was a joke. Some people will believe Bill Gates is putting microchips in our arms, that Biden is banning books, that Obama is a Muslim, that pizza-gate is real, etc etc. etc.

an amazing likeness

The Gallup poll JMac11 references has some fairly upbeat stuff in it, interesting read.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

My take from all this is that there are way too many people willing to put others in danger just for the sake of owning the libs, our former POTUS included. And just to be clear I’m independent and have voted R more than D over the years. 

You want to open up, you need to cooperate. They didn’t cooperate. Seems to be a zero sum game with some people. 

Semi-back-at-it. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Case in point: businesses still requiring masks for vaccinated people. Many employers in NYC are REQUIRING you to wear a mask all day long, even if vaccinated, because of this lack of nuance. All under this idea of "variants," "breakthrough exposure" or some other thing that just allows people to continue to believe nothing has changed.

I'd suspect it may be easier from a HR/legal standpoint to continue to require a mask. Businesses that have never had vaccination requirements probably need to consult with a number of folks before implementing some sort of vaccaination & mask policy. If you require proof of vaccination to not wear a mask, is the business prepared to discpline or fire someone not wearing a mask who refuses to show proof? Who in the business should know vaccination status? For businesses paying minimum wage having trouble getting people, do you really want to create a policy that might cause more turnover?

I've had to show proof of various vaccinations working in healthcare, so it's something I just look at as part of the job. For those in other industries, proof of vaccination probably seems far more invasive.

Andres1045

Totally. As it relates to masks, what usually goes on in my head is that if I wear a mask, the crowd that never believed in the pandemic and those that now think it's totally over, will judge me. Okay. I don't love that but I can deal with it. If I don't wear a mask, the masks wearers will see me and think I pose a threat. In general, I don't want to come across as an ass. So more often than not, I end up wearing the mask. Even in Florida, where I've been for the past 24 hours. And by the way, at least in Miami, their handling of the reopening doesn't even crack into my top ten reasons why this place is bizarre. I've only been here a few times, for short periods. But this place is just crazy. Like nowhere else I've been.

Upcoming races: Boston

Andres1045

And to be clear, I know that most people who don't wear a mask aren't actually judging me, just like most people that wear a mask don't give a damn whether I wear one. But just as dw was saying, that's what goes through my head.

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

Taper Czar

The Gallup poll JMac11 references has some fairly upbeat stuff in it, interesting read.

Yeah lots of good stuff. I will say the most upbeat thing to me is the COVID case graph. I knew it would come down a lot with vaccines. But if you told me in January that by June we would have vaccines that were expiring and case counts down below 20K I wouldn't believe you. When I think about the doldrums of March 2020 and how far we've come, it really is crazy. I remember when Trump was saying the vaccine was "possibly the end of the year [2020]" and all the news outlets said he needed a "mirace" to be right (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/fact-check-coronavirus-vaccine-could-come-year-trump-says-experts-n1207411 for example). No, I'm not excusing the rest of his behavior before people go crazy, more just commenting on it really seemed unfathomable we would be at this place.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:15:28 (3/20)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Next Race: Whatever COVID-19 will allow me to run 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

When I think about the doldrums of March 2020 and how far we've come, it really is crazy. I remember when Trump was saying the vaccine was "possibly the end of the year [2020]" and all the news outlets said he needed a "mirace" to be right (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/fact-check-coronavirus-vaccine-could-come-year-trump-says-experts-n1207411 for example). No, I'm not excusing the rest of his behavior before people go crazy, more just commenting on it really seemed unfathomable we would be at this place.

The issue with Trump's announcement was that it had no more scientific basis than his statement he wanted the country opened up by Easter.  It's purely coincidence that the date was approximately right.

2021 Races:

05/15/21 - 3DATF 50K

07/03/21 - Hainesport 12-hour

TBD - 100K (maybe)
                                 TBD - 24-hour (maybe)

If the person is Bulgarian, I get a little more than miffed.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Elite Jogger

Not when it’s Dame Joan Collins. ❤️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)