Fixed weather widget (Read 1835 times)

eric :)

Hi everyone,

I made a small update tonight to fix the weather widget.  It took me a while to get to this problem because I was working on something else.  WeatherBug changed something on their end that resulted in a different behavior than as advertised.  As a result, the RA server wasn't getting the expected data (location lookups) in order to display weather information.

If you are affected by this (if your weather widget isn't displaying weather info), edit your summary page and re-enter your location and then click the Save button.

eric :-)

Prince of Fatness

When I looked it had my town with no weather, so I reentered my zip code and it came up with a town nearby, so WeatherBug must have changed things a little.  But it appears to be working.

I went to WeatherBug.com and entered my zip code there.  Same thing, so I know it is WeatherBug picking the closest weather station.

Thanks Eric.

Not at it at all. 

Its working again, you the man!

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

It took me a while to get to this problem because I was working on something else.

You are SUCH a tease. Is it my search by thread author or all posts by username? Of course not. So is it my training schedule? Hmmmm?

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Hi everyone,

I made a small update tonight to fix the weather widget.  It took me a while to get to this problem because I was working on something else.  WeatherBug changed something on their end that resulted in a different behavior than as advertised.  As a result, the RA server wasn't getting the expected data (location lookups) in order to display weather information.

If you are affected by this (if your weather widget isn't displaying weather info), edit your summary page and re-enter your location and then click the Save button.

Hi Eric,

i 've re-entered my location, but it keeps saying that weatherbug can't  find a weather station nearby. Even when i entered the village next to the airforcebase  which on the site of weatherbug is mentioned as the nearby weatherstation of my location. (Oss, Netherlands) So unfortunately for me it isn't working.

Regards,

Dirk

Hi Erich

same with me, I enter my City I live in Basle, Switzerland, but the Weatherwidget keeps saying can't find location......

Dirk,

I looked into your problem.  It was caused by Yahoo's geocoder not returning the correct information and WeatherBug not recognizing the proper name.  For "Oss, Netherlands", Yahoo sometimes returns "8525 Oss, Netherlands".  I'm not sure why there's  a number prefix.  Other times, it returns "Oss, The Netherlands".  WeatherBug is confused by the number and the "The".  I modified the code to handle this condition and WeatherBug was able to find a weather station, although it's in Volkel.  I hope this is close to Oss.  I will upload the fix tonight when the site is less busy.

Chris,

I believe the problem you were seeing was due to Yahoo's geocoder being unavailable last night.  It was down for a couple of hours.  I checked 15 minutes ago and it is functioning again so please give it a try.

You are SUCH a tease. Is it my search by thread author or all posts by username? Of course not. So is it my training schedule? Hmmmm?

You're 'noring me Erich, I hate when you do that. Don't make me drive to the IA.....

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

You're 'noring me.  I hate when you do that, don't make me drive to the IA.....

I was at the IA last week.  You weren't there.  I won't be at the IA this week so you can drive there all you want Wink

To answer your question, it's no on both counts.

Eric Smile yep., working fine again. Thanks a ton :-)

Dirk,

I looked into your problem.  It was caused by Yahoo's geocoder not returning the correct information and WeatherBug not recognizing the proper name.  For "Oss, Netherlands", Yahoo sometimes returns "8525 Oss, Netherlands".  I'm not sure why there's  a number prefix.  Other times, it returns "Oss, The Netherlands".  WeatherBug is confused by the number and the "The".  I modified the code to handle this condition and WeatherBug was able to find a weather station, although it's in Volkel.  I hope this is close to Oss.  I will upload the fix tonight when the site is less busy.

Thanks Eric, Volkel will do. It is a village with an airbase with an official weatherstation aprox. 25km away.

Strange, it looks like that we have a double entry in the weatherbug weatherstation or location database.

Regards

Dirk