Tips for using clipless pedals (Read 1304 times)

bjoiner

I just bought my first pair of clipless pedals yesterday. (Keo-Looks) I can clip in/out of them fine when they are flipped right side up, but I find that when I'm moving, the pedal tends to flip over. Anyone have any advice for learning how to orient the pedal and clip in?

Supa Dupa Fly

I'd like to hear some tips as well. I got my first pair about 3 months ago...and I find that if i'm at a busy intersection i'll keep one foot clipped in and one out and start peddling with the foot clipped in to get going; but then i've got to get the other foot clipped in and that hasn't proved to be easy yet. The clip flips over or i can't get it snapped in without looking down. Add the pressure of having cars behind you and i get a little flustered and end up just trying to get through the intersection by half-@ss peddling without the one foot clipped in. Is it just a matter of more and more practice?
      ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
      VictorN

I can't offer any suggestions specific to those pedals, but why don't you try practicing with your bike on the trainer. That way you can clip in and out numerous times without worrying about falling over. After that, find a quiet street or parking lot and practice there. Victor

Supa Dupa Fly

I can't offer any suggestions specific to those pedals, but why don't you try practicing with your bike on the trainer. That way you can clip in and out numerous times without worrying about falling over. Victor
          I'd have to have a trainer first... Wink
          ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I practice on a hiil. I use the one foot method to clear intersections. FYI a freind told me to pull up on the pedals instead of pushing down on the pedal for better speed. Did 12 miles wednesday,almost fell but the other foot came out of the clip.Good luck.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

shonan marathon, girl

I have keo look pedals too and am happy with them. It just takes lots of practice to get good at using them. Sometimes on the return ride back to my home I am so tired that I forget to unclip my cleats from my pedal and fall over with my bike. I am not a very good biker and it is my weakest area. Tomorrow I am going riding with my husband to some nearby mountains in Oiso. The cherry blossom trees are in full bloom and it is so gorgeous here in Japan. I plan to do a half ironman race in Sado in early September, so I need to get used to biking 100k easily in the mountains.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

GP160

I have the Look pedals as well. I am no expert, but I do find myself having to flip the pedal over with my toe on occasion. I went from a standard SPD pedal, where you could use either side. The Look system takes time getting used to. What helped me was to lighten the tension in the pedal to clip in and out easier. Good luck!
                Ironman Louisville 8-30-09