4 Degree Farenheit Run (Read 573 times)

I've been in kind of a running rut so far in 2007. The last couple of days I've been coming out of it. Last night I went for a short 3 miler. The temperature was about 4 degrees Farenheit. I layered up beautifully. It wasn't a fast run by any measure. I kept tapping my chin,nose, & cheeks periodically to make sure they weren't getting numb. It was so much fun to be outside when common sense said "Stay indoors". My parents used to have an old beagle who would totter around the house. On bitter cold days after a fresh snowfall she would go outside & run around like a puppy. That's what last night's run felt like to me. Fitness is great but, it's that slightly insane buzz you get sometimes that keeps me running. You know what I mean?

Dog-Love

I know what you mean...I have been out with a knee deal and now working myself up to 5 mile runs again. It's been cold and windiy in Juneau and I have to talk myself into getting outside because I don't run on a treadmill. Yesterday I kind of deceided what the run would be and was heading to one of my favorite trails (would be hand snow pack this time of year). It winds along a large frozen creek through forest and its slightly rolling for about 2 miles. I don't know what made me veer from that plan, but I headed up a snow mobiler's trail behind our campus instead that I have heard is a good hill run. After about a mile it became this beautiful climb up to this ridge (tough running for sure) and I did not want to stop. So aftter another mile and more climbing I got to Spalding Meadows and just took it all in. Blue skies, white snow, postcard beautiful! Ravens making all their crazy sounds and if I were a lab I would have been rolling in the snow. I pondered pulling a Lynn-bob and running the 30 mile route that would take me over the ridge by 3 lakes in the woods, but didn't becaue 1) I knew I had to go back to work and 2)I know I can't run that far.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        Last night was 19 with a 1 degree wind chill. My 5k course had a leg 1.1 miles straight INTO the wind. I layered up put on a full face ski mask and headed out. Slow time (41:03) but a great run. After the first quarter mile I was nice and warm, and on the down wind return I even removed the mask and gloves. Tonight is a 4 miler. A new distance for me and I have been watching he weather like a hawk. Suposed to be heavy snow. So far so good. I look foreward to it!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I know exactly what you mean. For me, the worst the conditions, the better, rain, snow, wind, cold, hot, whatever. The left side of my brain is telling me to sat put, keep warm or cool, do the intelligent thing, but my right brain tells me to go for it. Once I'm out there, I feel great and the feeling I get when I pass the few diehards like me and we exchange the "I know why your out here" look, it just makes me feel wonderful. It is the same feeling I get when people tell me I'm crazy when the ask me what I did last weekend and I say, "I went for a 15 mile fun run". Yea, we are strange and wonderful group. I will never give this up as long as I'm healthy enough to put one foot in front of the other.I love that "insane buzz"..... Tongue.
            ok, I was feeling tough running in the 48 and 51 degree rain the last few days. I see I'm just a poser. Blush Tongue I can't imagine running in that cold of weather! Shocked

Jennifer mm#1231

I love being out on a run in extreme conditions that drive most people back to the couch. When you see another crazy runner on days like those, you invariably give each other that meaningful nod of respect. Those runs go into the bank. You withdraw them on race day, and cash them in to help you make it through the tough stretches.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Forecasting a high of 8F on Sunday in Michigan. You know you are nuts when the sweat forms icicles on your hat.