Tai Chi (Read 990 times)

Just recently began taking tai chi classes.  Anyone here have experience in same?

I've heard from some folks that it helped their running (among other benefits).  Curious as to your experiences.

“I used to be a runner. Uh-huh. Not a marathoner. A runner. Marathons are bullshit. They’re all hype. Some official picks a random day, and rain or cold, you’re out there pounding the pavement alongside 50,000 other dumbfucks. No. There’s some things it’s better to do all by yourself.” Augustus Hill, Oz

Dog-Love

It really helped me not lose my keys...plus I became a calmer person.  I no longer practice which explains a lot.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I've taken maybe 3 or 4 classes.  From what I experienced there, I can see how it'd help with balance, awareness of where your body is, and control over your internal energy.  Personally, I like the (much) "harder" styles of martial arts.  ("hard" vs "soft", not vs. "easy.")  There's a martial artist runner's group here (click) if you're interested.

Roads were made for journeys...

I agree that it will likely help with relaxation, balance, and body awareness.  However, I think that one of the "harder" arts will be more beneficial to your running; many will not only provide the above benefits, but also significant strengthening of the core, legs, hips, and so on as well as improved cardio.  (Of course, I am a traditional karate practitioner, so I may be biased...)

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Just Happy to Run

I've taken 4 forms of martial arts and it always helped.  I'm sure Tai Chi is good, as is yoga.  Weather it's muscle building and stretching or balance and stretching... I think any of it helps.  I also like Chai Tea with soy milk.  Not sure if that helps though...   Anyone practice Tai Chi while drinking Chai Tea?    
            Jason

2010 Goals
            • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
              I'm reading Chi Running and Chi Walking.  I've been thinking abuot taking a class.  My posture/form is terrible.

- Anya

MrH

I prefer it with lemon.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

I dunno about chi running or tai chi, but I do tend to walk on my toes.  So I've been looking for methods to relax them.

Chi toes.

But they just get puffy and orange.

Chi in many Indian languages means "yuck", "gross" etc.

Chai and Tea are synonyms (well chai is the Hindi word for Tea with milk, Indian style), so Chai Tea  is redundant.

Carry on.

xor

FWIW, in that respect, my chi toes pretty much fit(s).  Damn running.

Just Happy to Run

Chi in many Indian languages means "yuck", "gross" etc.

Chai and Tea are synonyms (well chai is the Hindi word for Tea with milk, Indian style), so Chai Tea  is redundant.

Carry on.

Interesting... I didn't know that one.  Thanks!  I also love it when I learn from the department of redundancy department.         So, in india Chai Tea would be good (redundant of course) but you'd want to avoid Chi Tea!

Jason

2010 Goals
                        • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles

Just Happy to Run

FWIW, in that respect, my chi toes pretty much fit(s).  Damn running.

...and your chi toes don't qualify as food either. 

Jason

2010 Goals
                          xor

...and your chi toes don't qualify as food either. 

There are those who disagree.

(shrug)

is ok.

Just Happy to Run

There are those who disagree.

(shrug)

is ok.

True.  If you wrap your chi toes in bacon you might have others knocking on your door.  As for me, you'll find me in my kitchen tonight working on the beer ice cream float idea I had the other day... 

Jason

2010 Goals
                              xor

You can make a reasonable not-puke beer ice cream float with a nice porter.  For real.