Vo2max (Read 2788 times)

Scout7

Well, Purdey, I suppose the question for you is why do you feel that it is relevant? How does knowing your VO2Max help your training?
    JakeKnight

Well, Purdey, I suppose the question for you is why do you feel that it is relevant? How does knowing your VO2Max help your training?
      Yup. That was my question reading this thread. If we assume what Globby said - that you're doing all the workouts he mentions - how exactly is that number possibly relevant?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Purdey

Self anointed title

How does knowing your VO2Max help your training?
        It doesn't. I thought that Mr Globby was saying that your VO2 Max is irrelevant. I don't think it is. However, actually knowing the figure is neither here nor there and we should not waste time, or money, on it... unless we are gunning for an Olympic spot. However, our VO2 Max is relevant to our running performance. It just happens that it is the one factor that we can change the least - despite the workouts that Glob mentions. If all other factors are equal (same training, same running efficiency, same muscle make up, same genetics, same environmental influences etc etc) the guy or gal with a VO2 Max of 80 will beat the guy or gal with a VO2 Max of 30. Period. It is not irrelevant. It just happens that it is something that we should not worry about too much. We are better spending our time improving our LT, our running efficiency, or just plain running more miles rather than posting shite on this forum (not directed at anyone in particular but if the cap fits.....).
        If we assume what Globby said - that you're doing all the workouts he mentions (but doesn't appear to actually do himself) - how exactly is that number possibly relevant?
        See above. I think that we are all in violent agreement.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Purdey, you are talking about VO2Max, not VO2Max. Get it straight.
          Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey, you are talking about VO2Max, not VO2Max. Get it straight.
            Balls. Sorry Trent. You are right. My comments above do indeed refer to VO2Max and not this new fangled VO2Max stuff.

However, actually knowing the figure is neither here nor there and we should not waste time, or money, on it... unless we are gunning for an Olympic spot.
              But if we are gunning for an Olympic spot we should waste time or money on knowing our VO2max number? Why?
              If all other factors are equal (same training, same running efficiency, same muscle make up, same genetics, same environmental influences etc etc) the guy or gal with a VO2 Max of 80 will beat the guy or gal with a VO2 Max of 30. Period.
              But all other factors are never equal.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

But if we are gunning for an Olympic spot we should waste time or money on knowing our VO2max number? Why?
                Because you can then measure whether your workouts a la Globule have had any effect on your VO2 Max I guess. Time trials to measure improvement would not isolate this one factor. I'm only guessing.... I will never even win age group awards, let alone need to bother about this anyway.
                But all other factors are never equal.
                Duh. So what? My point is still valid.

Because you can then measure whether your workouts a la Globule have had any effect on your VO2 Max I guess. Time trials to measure improvement would not isolate this one factor. I'm only guessing.... I will never even win age group awards, let alone need to bother about this anyway.
                  But we already have a better way to measure whether workouts are being effective. It's called racing.
                  Duh. So what? My point is still valid.
                  Valid, but it has no practical value whatever.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

I don't need to know what my VO2max is. Or what my LT is, for that matter. I just need to know that workouts targeted for those systems are valuable, if done intelligently.
                    To effectively increase your LT I think you need to work just below it. Therefore you need to know what it is.... if you want to do it "intelligently" and "target" it. Just saying.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

To effectively increase
                      Effectively to speak the Queen's English, you need to avoid splitting infinitives. And you continue to mix up VO2Max with VO2Max.
                      Purdey

Self anointed title

But we already have a better way to measure whether workouts are being effective. It's called racing.
                        For mere mortals you are correct. An Olympic marathoner may be interested to isolate his/her VO2 Max in order to track improvement and therefore adjust their VO2 Max workouts. Improvements in race pace may/would be down to any number of factors.
                        Valid, but it has no practical value whatever.
                        Roll eyes

Purdey

Self anointed title

Effectively to speak the Queen's English, you need to avoid splitting infinitives. And you continue to mix up VO2Max with VO2Max.
                          And just you remember that it is the Queen's English... not yours. Wink (GSP so emoticons allowed yeh?)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

An Olympic marathoner may be interested to isolate his/her VO2 Max in order to track improvement and therefore adjust their VO2 Max workouts.
                            Let me ask you this: does the inclusion of the phrase, "in order" add anything to this sentence? Well, other than words, that is? The sentence would be much cleaner as follows.
                            An Olympic marathoner may be interested to isolate his/her VO2 Max to track improvement and therefore adjust their VO2 Max workouts.
                            Of course you still have that problem with article agreement between the subject, a single Olympic marathoner, and the subject's act, apparently performed while suffering from their multiple personalities.
                            Purdey

Self anointed title

Clowning around

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey