Stevie Ray's Breakers (RI) and Spokane Marathon reports (Read 589 times)

xor

Here is my report for the 10/18 Breakers (Rhode Island) Marathon. Mansions! The ocean! Lots of car traffic! There is my report for the 10/12 Spokane Marathon. Originally, this was going to be my rest weekend; I added this race at the last minute to honor a friend who recently died from leukemia, which coincidentally is something I am very VERY familiar with. Why Spokane? He was from Spokane. I ran the Spokane race in this shirt: Image and video hosting by TinyPic I ran the Breakers race in my more typical uniform: Image and video hosting by TinyPic Alright then.

Ojo

Loved your race report for the Breakers! I ran it last year as my first marathon. Managed well on the first half but the hills in the second really took their toll. It is a beautiful race but not easy. I might do it again one day since I live so close . . . and it was a nice weekend away with the hubby. Congrats to you!

Sara

MM #2929

mummydust

Woo hoo. Two reports in one week. The dishes in the sink can wait. Breakers - Doing races a second or third time sure takes the stress off, when you know the routine....unless they go and change something. I don't like all that logistical stuff like where to park and where the heck is the start line. So if you are able to do your planned races next year and hit your 50th state, do you think you will be the youngest 50 stater? Spokane - Can you elaborate on the "goofy/fake" 4:00 goal? I think I know what you mean but I had never considered that before. I am always so close to that mark. Fear of "failing" and finishing over four has gotten me moving again, hence my five finishes this year in 3:57-3:58. However when I know I will beat four but not PR I think I have eased on to the finish, hence my two 3:54-3:55 s this year. One of these days I am going to race watchless, have you ever tried that?
        xor

Thanks, Ojo. Nah, Mummydust, the youngest 50-stater is Marathon Maniac #51, Brenton Floyd. He finished while he was still a teenager, I think. I used to see him all over the place, but I haven't seen him at all in a couple years. I know his uncle, though. Last year, I ran 65 marathons. That I know of, I was third on the 'run a whole bunch' list. First was good ol' Larry Macon with 95. The guy in between us ran 71 or 72... Brenton's uncle, Jim Simpson. He's not a maniac. Anyway, Brenton has completed over 400 events. Not sure how many for sure, though, because he stopped posting his stats. I call 4:00 a goofy/fake goal only because there's so much mystique attached to it. It's just a number. Is a 3:59 light years better than a 4:01? No, but it *seems* to be. As a long run, I should have been just fine with a 4:04... but of course, I couldn't do that. Now and this is important, I do not mean "goofy" and "fake" as bad things, really, and I'm certainly not trying to apply them to anyone except me. 4:00 has actually been a very important goal to me, especially a few years back. But even then... it was just a number. No one paid me a bonus and I didn't get lattes for a year just because I beat it. Same with 3:45. Or 4:30. Everybody is different about this, though, and that's totally cool. I do know what you mean about easing up sometimes when you know you are going to beat a particular time. I'm 100% sure this is why I'm stuck at 3:40 right now. When I can tell at M20 that this is probably going to be close to my finish time, I think I go on autopilot because I know I won't be able to stretch for 3:25. I should work on that. I know I can't make up 15 minutes over 6 miles, but I bet I could get more finishes closer to 3:35. I've raced watchless a few times. Good in some circumstances. It never made me run faster, but it DID make me run more relaxed. Sometimes. Smile

Queen of 3rd Place

Great stuff, and say...have you ever thought of writing a book? I just picked up a guidebook, "The Traveling Marathoner", and it's good but so painfully brief with only 12 events described (one for each month). Even a compilation of your posts here would make a pretty good book! Arla

Ex runner

Hey, nice marmot!

Great reports! Two for the price of one, woot! Sorry you got spit on, that's always gross. You really ought to think about the book idea. You've certainly got the material for it.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

xor

Great stuff, and say...have you ever thought of writing a book? I just picked up a guidebook, "The Traveling Marathoner", and it's good but so painfully brief with only 12 events described (one for each month). Even a compilation of your posts here would make a pretty good book! Arla
                Thanks. Actually, I've been working on a book now for about a year. I hope to have it done soon. I hope. As for "Traveling Marathoner", I have a personal history with that book that I shant get into here (a few of the coolrunning old-timers know).

Dave

Great races, Stevie and quite obviously, two more super race reports. I have a buddy up in Newport. Don't think I'll schedule that race though Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

#artbydmcbride

I'd buy your book, srlopez! Smile

Runners run

Think Whirled Peas

Great reads. And I have NO IDEA how you do this. It is inspirational (and friggin' crazy) to see how often, and well, you run marathons. Simply amazing!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

xor

Thanks, Q. You can train to do this, just like some people train to do 100 milers, and a couple folks did 50 26.2's in 50 days in 50 states. It's not for everyone, but I like it. I'm probably giving up some speed to do this. That's actually hard to know for sure unless I block out 4-6 months and do it "the normal" way, especially in my case because my blood doesn't work exactly right anyway. Maybe I will some day. I like doing lots of races and meeting lots of people. Well, some more than others. HA.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

SR - great report! I'm planning on running that one someday (maybe 2010) and will file your report away for reference. I know what you mean about the Newport logistics, and let me tell you, it's not just the marathon. Newport is my wife and I's timeshare getaway, so we're up there a few weekends every year. The signs never seem to be clear enough, and parking is always an issue. Seems like we find another little trick for getting around every time we go (or find one doesn't work anymore). But like you said, the views and the things they get right make it all worthwhile.