Walking pace for Ultra (Read 108 times)

Stevepf

My first ultra coming up, a 50-mile. Will use a run/walk strategy. Have been working on improving my walking pace, and I have it down to around 12:50 to 13:00 in time trials on the track. On a recent long training session (flat, non-technical course) of 30 miles I was able to maintain a pace of around 15:00, even when significantly tired.

Question: Is this a good pace? For reference points, I typically race the marathon in the range of 3:45 to 4:00. For the 50-mile, the run segments will be at a pace of 11:00, and the ratio of run to walk will be something around 2.5 to 1, by distance  Thanks!

berylrunner

Rick

Seems a little too fast.  Does that pace feel natural?  I won't take credit for it, but I heard "walk like you are late for work".  For me, that is about 14 mm pace.  Any faster and it seems like I rotate my hips unnaturally.

You didn't ask, but it seems like your running pace is unnaturally slow based on your marathon time.  Run your easy, comfortable pace.  I am guessing 9.5 mm.  Add your walk breaks and enjoy your 50 mile finish.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

That's way fast. The walks are for recovery and rest while still racking up miles. I shoot for staying under 20:00, with 17:30 preferable. I of about the same ability, hitting 4:00 marathons in route doing ultras; I've never run a marathon.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

slingrunner

This is your second post on this ultra.  Can you tell us a little bit about the course?  It's hard to answer your questions without knowing what this 50 miles is.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Stevepf

I'ts the JFK 50 Mile. Course is about 11 miles on the Appalachian Trail, with the remainder on the C&O Canal towpath and roads.

I will walk almost the entire AT portion (due it being rather rocky and not wanting to roll an ankle) at a pace of around 18:00. For the canal and road portions, I will alternate walk/run at a ratio of around 2.5:1, with a running pace of 11:00 and a walking pace 15:00.  This being my first, goal is merely to finish within the 13-hour limit, while allowing some margin of error, so planning around 12:00 to 12:15.

Marylander

I bet you'll do a fair bit of running on the AT portion. While there are some rock gardens and other rocky sections most of it isn't too bad. Enjoy yourself and good luck!

berylrunner

Rick

Have a good race.  Join the Ultra runner's group and let us know how it goes.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

bhearn

That's way fast. The walks are for recovery and rest while still racking up miles. I shoot for staying under 20:00, with 17:30 preferable. I of about the same ability, hitting 4:00 marathons in route doing ultras; I've never run a marathon.

That used to be my attitude. But I ran the numbers and realized just how big a difference a faster walk can make... well, in a 6-day race. So I worked a lot on my walking form and pace before my first 6-day. Surprise, it translated to faster, easier walking at 24-hour and Spartathlon (153-mile road race) as well.

For training I will walk 4-5 miles on a treadmill, start it at 15-min pace, and gradually up it to about 10. Fastest I will walk in a race is around 12:30 pace, which late in a 6-day is faster than many are running.

You can still recover while walking fast — you are using less energy than running. I've read that the theoretical tradeoff point is around 12-min pace: faster and running is more efficient; slower and walking is more efficient.

MTA oops, I see goal race just happened.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

MTA oops, I see goal race just happened.

My guess is he will be doing more, so advice not superfluous.

That's interesting about the 12:00 threshold.  I wonder how that may shift for us slower runners where 12:00 is still a good running pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Having tried to walk fast, I'm impressed with racewalkers going the distance under 10:00 pace, and often much faster than that.

Yeah, I should do some training on my walking, I just walk like some regular dumb person, and not a trained athlete!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying