$63 a month gym pass to use the elliptical ? (Read 1852 times)

Check out planetfitness.com - that's the gym I use and it's only $10 a month.
    Yes, I did. They are $19.99 a month out here, not $10. But that is still WAY cheap for a gym. I am just hoping I'll be able to run again soon. It will be two weeks tomorrow. I've been rolling,icing, stretching like a fanatic. I don't want to go too soon, and have to start over. I need to try that stupid machine before I do anything. But thanks everyone!

- Anya

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

A lot of workplaces offer sweet gym discounts--I know my boyfriend's does, and I've heard of others. I work at a university, so I get all kinds of amazing gym stuff for $150 / year--are there any colleges near you?
      Ditto on the idea of checking with a local college/university if you have that option. I do that as I work at a state university. My cost is around $22/month and the amenities are great - nice new and technological equipment, well-maintained facilities, free classes anytime, etc. We even can use personal trainers at a cost of around $40 for 4-1 hour individual sessions or something like that. And.......there is a side benefit - if I need hit the track for a nice long run - it amazes the hell out of the college students.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Ditto on the idea of checking with a local college/university if you have that option. I do that as I work at a state university. My cost is around $22/month and the amenities are great - nice new and technological equipment, well-maintained facilities, free classes anytime, etc. We even can use personal trainers at a cost of around $40 for 4-1 hour individual sessions or something like that. And.......there is a side benefit - if I need hit the track for a nice long run - it amazes the hell out of the college students.

Also check out public schools (some high schools, and even middle schools have open gym times for a fee - but usually much less)

military bases are also an option, some have an 'associate member' type option, or even just reasonable drop-in fees. (Local base is $5 a day)

Bugs

Once when I was injured and wanted to XT I visited all the local membership places and ask for a free trail as "I was interested in joining." I wasn't really interested I just wanted to use their equipment for a few days.  I would buy a stair stepper before an elliptical.

Bugs

The military bases are a good option - if you can get access.  US bases are usually pretty tight with who they will let on - pretty much military, dependents and civilian employees - especially after 9-11.  Still, though, if you can get a pass...

Have you tried googling "fitness center" and your hometown to see what you find?  That might yield some options as well.  The rate you quoted is awfully high. 

running yogi

Month to month at my gym is $75 and day pass at my city park recreation center which has a small scale gym is $1
              gooddogs74

I just joined a Baileys gym month to month for $35; requires auto draft.  one month cancellation notice.  no contract
                  Have you ever considered buying the equipment you need and putting together your own gym.  I have to tell you, I have bought some stuff off of craigslist for about 70-80% under retail. Just an option but it has worked out nice for me.

i sacrificed the gift

Well, I have not been running in almost 2 weeks now ( ITBS) and can almost hear the fat forming on my butt. I found a gym that offers month to month for $63. I've never done the elliptical, but I've heard that it might be something I can do to that won't hurt my IT Band. I am going nuts right now, going through some serious life issues, and need to do something. Walking does not cut it. It's so awful, not being able to run. Anyone do the elliptical machine? Do you keep your knees bent or straight?

Have you used an elliptical while having ITBS?  I would think that the elliptical would bug it.  It is low-impact but once the TFL is tight, the IT band is still going to snap across the knee or trochanter, which will prevent it from getting better.

Have you tried Trigger Point therapy by chance?  I had success with ITBS by deeply massaging the tensor fasciae latae area.

Do you have the hip version of ITBS or the knee version?

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                    Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                    Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

i sacrificed the gift

Once when I was injured and wanted to XT I visited all the local membership places and ask for a free trail as "I was interested in joining." I wasn't really interested I just wanted to use their equipment for a few days.  I would buy a stair stepper before an elliptical.

Stair stepper would be pure hell for someone with ITBS though.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                      Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                      Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA