Not the best way to win a race (Read 1322 times)

Turbolegs

<possibly flogging dead horse>

Okay, sure, but in the OP video the woman was back up, recovered, and running toward the finish line.  Still not sure what is wrong turning on your kick and with passing her for the win.  

</flogging>

Who said there was anything wrong?

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

HermosaBoy

It occurred to me that you can't have sportsmanlike conduct if it becomes part of the rules.  It must be supererogatory.  You also cannot have unsportsmanlike conduct if it's similar legislated against: then it just becomes rule-breaking.  They become unidentifiable as sportsmanship.  It's nice that there's always a possibility for people to act well toward each other despite not being required to.  And if there is an ethos established by the elite in the field, and a culture to the sport that the fans and athletes cherish, then they are justified in their scorn of someone who is violating the cultural norms because that is one way culture is preserved (shunning the deviants).

Note that similarly, the fans/athletes who scorn the deviant are only under the obligation to accept the action as legal, but under no obligation to approve of it.

You don't have to shake your opponent's hand in chess, but when you don't you are being a jerk.

Well put...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Turbolegs

Ok .. while you guys ponder on the philosophical dimensions of racing ...

Here is another super fun thing from Japan ... the full video is worth watching. Ok .. time to go to work .. see ya guys later. Smile

Not sure if any unsportsmanlike conduct occurred. But I'm pretty sure stadjak has the RA record for the use of "supererogatory" in one thread.

I still don't know what that word means.  Let me see how long my innocence lasts.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Here is another super fun thing from Japan

Wow

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Definition of SUPEREROGATORY

: observed or performed to an extent not enjoined or required

: superfluous

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can we just use overunenjoined?

xor

The whole idea that the word starts with "superer" made me guess superfluous.

Well .. she did see her get up after she fell down .. there is being competitive and then there is sportsmanship (even while being competitive) ..

At what point in a race is it okay to pass a runner that has fallen?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Turbolegs

When you are doing the Tron dance as you pass ...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

When you have a clear passing zone that does not endanger the fallen runner or any other runners, and that does not impede any emergency medical personnel (on foot or in vehicle).

Who said there was anything wrong?

Dude.  Come on, now.  Look at your title and your original post, and tell me that there was no evaluative connotation. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Turbolegs

Dude.  Come on, now.  Look at your title and your original post, and tell me that there was no evaluative connotation. 

Dude. Come on, now. Look the original post, and the second line of that very post after "See this".

Dude. Come on, now. Look the original post, and the second line of that very post after "See this".

Dude.  Come on, now.  I read that, and there is this at the end of it:  "but still...".  Maybe you just need to let us know what you meant by that.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

I refuse to look at the definition provided by SRL.  I just think that is a made up word, and somehow made it into a dictionary like texting.