2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

weatherboy80

Cinnamon: that completely sucks and would be a showstopper for me.  I wouldn't be running at all if it weren't for my current job as they allow us 3 hours per week of fitness out of 40!

DW: Great looking week.  Glad you got the asthma under control. Best of luck on your race this week!

Cal: Awesome week of base!

Swim: Looks like you are rolling yet again!

JT: Happy to see you out there again!

Mikkey: Hope the foot behaves itself!

Nimmals: Impressive looking week considering a few weeks post marathon!  Love the input you provide from the coaching side of things as well.

Andres:  You've had a really nice steady cycle and agree that you are looking really fit heading into Houston.  As with my race (hopefully) I think the key will be getting you some good weather come race day.

Me: T minus 6 days and counting so the dreaded taperitis is here!   Easy run felt like total crap this morning so I'm probably right on target Wink.  The weather forecast has trended much better as thankfully a cold front FINALLY looks to come through sometime Saturday knocking temperatures from the low 80's right down into the 40's for Sunday AM (if it holds).  Everyone here knows my great luck with race day weather and a few days ago it was looking like yet another day with low  temperatures near 70 and crazy high humidity (which we have had for much of December).  In fact, yesterday Melbourne never dropped below 75 degrees all day Sad  Many of my  runs all last week were with TDP's of 140 or greater.  The only concern with the front will be gusty winds out of the northwest which will create a decent headwind for about half of the race.  As for this upcoming week, not much left to do other than my 3 X 1 T workout coming up tomorrow with reduced volume the rest of the week and keeping the EZ pace in check.

Last week was a solid looking taper week with 66.5 miles total.  Of note is that I did hit 4 thousand miles for the year on my run the day after Christmas, which is something I never thought I'd be able to do Smile  Also not sure how many more  times in my life I'll be able to do that as I'd like to do a better job and reducing volume in between cycles.

Mon: 10.2 EZ w/ strides (8:12)

Tues: 4E + 1T + 2M + 1T + 2M + 3E

Wed: 5.2 EZ (8:11) ran after Xmas mass

Thurs: 10.2 EZ bridge repeats (8:29)  Hit 4K miles on this run for 2019!

Fri: 8.3 EZ w/ strides (7:48)

Sat: 13.2 EZ -> mod (7:17)

Sun: 6.2 EZ (7:51)

Total: 66.5

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oof, so much to catch on during my semi-annual running break. Really loving the chatter though, some great stuff. I’ll address a few things here.

Mikkey - I’ve had zero taper madness for two straight cycles. I think that deserves something, right? Also I love your self-reading of the x-ray, I think runners must drive doctors nuts. On the other hand, there are doctors I go to and I think “this person knows nothing”, but I think it’s because they’re more concerned with serious stuff vs. “wahhhh I can’t run right now” even though that is so important for us. Either way, your goal of getting in the same corral as cal is very important. Boston is an absolute CF and it’s important you know where your main rival is at all times.

Andres - I’m so glad you’re posting again, not only because you’re training out of your mind right now, but because you have such strong opinions. You, cal, and nimmals bring a lot of great takes here (mainly on point) and it makes it better. Regarding the long run issue, I think if you’ve been running 24 mile longs runs, then 20 two weeks out makes sense. But I think you’ve been doing mainly 21, 22, so I would say 18 feels right 2 weeks out.

Weather - so happy to hear about your forecast! I was thinking today (yes other people’s running enters my head at weird times) that if this one didn’t work out, I don’t know how you continue to run so many races where the weather is suspect. I think you’re registered for Boston 2020, so not only do I want you to run near my time just because you deserve it, but because this time we are actually meeting in corral 1 

JT - glad to see you putting up the miles again! I wasn’t directly calling you out, I promise. But you do have a unique taper, not even regarding the long run 2 weeks prior, but especially with your incredibly sharp drop the days prior. I think you do something like 5-6 miles three days out, and then two straight days off. May be something to tinker with next year.

Cinnamon - that really sucks. Many of this are fortunate on this board with employers that give us relatively easy time off. I think you get the real MVP vote, given your difficult job and other life circumstances. No way I could juggle running with what you do.

DW - as usual, spot on analysis. I feel like out of everyone on these boards, LRC, and in general, you have the most nuanced positions. As someone that feels that nuance is dead in our society today, I love what you post. It’s probably because you’re a lawyer, but I still appreciate it 

Coaching - I totally agree that having an outside pair of eyes helps. However, I also agree with the fact that coaches are stubborn. My HS experience was so negative with coaching that it turned me off to them. The entire Salazar incident doesn’t help either, or what I see some folks throwing up as training because their coach thought it was right. I think it makes sense for people who are going backwards, but I just can’t see myself going to one anytime soon. I do SO much research on running and would rather be my own coach. It goes the same with doctors too, in the running sense. I trust my own intuition with how to treat my body with so many different trial and error periods. I also know from having a few doctor friends that a lot of doctors out there are not that great. That’s not to say that you should come in with some BS Internet research, but you have to be informed and not just trust a “professional” in any circumstance, whether it’s a doctor, lawyer, or running coach. But look to them to help fill your voids in knowledge.

Swim - just to address others points: I’m not sure you’ve fully addressed why running two quality runs in the same day makes sense for you. I get that some people have more/less talent than others, but every time I see your workouts, I think that it’s for someone running sub 2:20 at your age. You seem to have a history of training to a crazy high level, which is amazing. But to run the mileage you run, PLUS the crazy workouts, I wonder how often you challenge your coach to say “is this really right for me?” Again, not judging, but it’s just for outside the norm that I’m curious what your coaches position on this is.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JTReeeves So sorry to see the pain still lingers.  Do you know if PRP or Stems would help in your situation? Hang in there brother once you're healthy 2:45 will be a cake walk.

Weather Congrats on 4K You must never take time off or be injured?? That's some mileage. I'll be lucky to break 3600.

Swim Nice week as well you haven't wasted anytime. Are you sticking with the same coach. Did he ramp you up this quickly?

Darkwave great week too.  You accomplish so much in a day.

Cinnamon - So sorry to hear about the denials. That's such a shame. It sounds like you're in a field where you can do coverage? Can't you find another employee to swap or switch for you? Are you a 1st Responder?

MIKKEY & Cal Brad Hudsons book is the only book I endorse all the others are good campfire fodder \ winter bonfire.  And one of the first thing Hudson says its only a guide.  When you know you, you do what works best for you.  We had this argument 10 years ago on RWOL so lets not rehash it. I think Daniels and Pfitz are clueless with respect to the masses who cant train like elites. Their canned specials only develop a certain type of athlete, one already gifted with genetics.

The best coach I can think of now and of whom I'm a fanboy is Ray Treacy. Daniels and Pfitz bibles need burning. I want to know what Tom Schwartz or Ray Treacy has to say. Those two should write a book. I borrow a lot from them two.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Andres1045

MIKKEY & Cal Brad Hudsons book is the only book I endorse all the others are good campfire fodder \ winter bonfire.  And one of the first thing Hudson says its only a guide.  When you know you, you do what works best for you.  We had this argument 10 years ago on RWOL so lets not rehash it. I think Daniels and Pfitz are clueless with respect to the masses who cant train like elites. Their canned specials only develop a certain type of athlete, one already gifted with genetics.

I've always believed this. Was it you that was saying that Pfitz didn't even really want to put plans in his first book, but the publisher made him? It makes sense. No point in writing a book that specifies it's only for .5% of the runners out there. That's also why I much preferred the Hansons book. You can disagree with their plan, but their book is certainly written for the 3 to 4 hour marathon crowd. Not the 2:20 crowd. They do a really good job of introducing you to the basics of training, which you can take from there and decide what to keep, discard or expand on.

Upcoming races: Boston

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - Is that a typical week you'd have 3-4 weeks prior to a half? Or is this a bit different as you're coming off the full still and trying to get ready quick? What paces were you targeting on both Tue and Fri? 10k, then half?

Last week was somewhat ad hoc, due to holidays and also having the 4 miler coming up this week.  Friday would normally be a 4-5 mile tempo, but we swapped to 2x3200 since it was only 5 days out from the race.

As for Tuesday, my coach cancelled the track workout due to the holiday (most people were out of town), but told me I could go ahead and do something if I liked, since I have Houston and One City coming up.  Since I knew I'd be pulling back on Friday's workout, I went with a bigger volume interval workout on Tuesday, pulling back the effort so I could extend the reps.

Wednesday would normally be a bigger volume day, but I cut it way back to spend more time with family.  Probably not the worst idea to take a short day anyway because I had pushed through the Tuesday workout with my breathing not at 100%.

As for efforts - I wasn't really thinking race pace effort, but rather "hard aerobic" on Tuesday (which is probably around 10K effort) and "hard tempo" on Friday (which is about 10 mile effort).

My coach and I don't generally have a schedule set in stone - we map out races, and then long runs and a few other key workouts, and then play it by ear as to fit everything else in, based on how I'm feeling.  And I do move stuff around as needed.  For example, I have a big marathon pace workout scheduled for this weekend.  Whether I do it on Saturday, Sunday, or even Monday depends on how I recover from Tuesday's race (and the NYE festivities after).  I'd like to do it on Saturday, and then have two days before a Tuesday track workout.  But...if I feel like I'm on the edge of a hole, I'll push back that workout to Sunday or Monday, and then skip the Tuesday track workout.

Books: I'm pretty sure it was Hudson who didn't want schedules, and was forced to add them.

Nimmals - Tinman did actually write a book - Build Your Running Body, coauthored with Pete Magill and a woman named Melissa Breyer who appears to specialize in nutrition.  It's a decent book, though the structure of it is a bit forced.

FWIW, I think the books written by Greg McMillan (You, Only Faster) and Alan Culpepper  (can't remember the name) are well worth reading and didn't get enough attention when published.  I think McMillan is one of the best out there in terms of training runners of moderate ability to get the best out of themselves.  And his stuff on customising training to the runner is spot-on.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

Nimmals: thanks I was blessed with no major injuries that knocked me out for more than 1-2 days each time.  If I had to do it over again I would have reduced volume after Boston though and during parts of the summer.

All: Any suggestions for marathon race day gear for temperatures around 40 (or even colder) Smile  Some of the latest model runs even have AM temps down into the 30's for Sunday morning which will feel downright FREEZING especially  for this FL runner and considering how hot and muggy we have been!  My lungs might go into shock with no to little humidity as well.  Imagine some throw away gloves and a hat will be a must if this verifies, but the forecast calls for sun so temps should moderate quickly.  Still 6 days out though so it will likely change a bit.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - Tinman did actually write a book - Build Your Running Body, coauthored with Pete Magill and a woman named Melissa Breyer who appears to specialize in nutrition.  It's a decent book, though the structure of it is a bit forced.

FWIW, I think the books written by Greg McMillan (You, Only Faster) and Alan Culpepper  (can't remember the name) are well worth reading and didn't get enough attention when published.  I think McMillan is one of the best out there in terms of training runners of moderate ability to get the best out of themselves.  And his stuff on customising training to the runner is spot-on.

Darkwave - thanks,  I bought the Pete McGill\Tom Schwartz book should arrive tomorrow. I like Pete MacGill not sure he likes me. LOL j/k  I once got in the hot tub and he got right out. LOL they were in for a while and I bought 15 people to a 10 person hot tub but those were fun days back at XC club nationals. I think it was Spokane when he ran for Fluffy Bunny and they had just captured their 2nd consecutive Masters championship. They finished way ahead as masters go before open so when our mens and womens open team got back to the hotel they jumped out to let the losers get warm. in fact it was one of the coldest Club XC championship on record hot tub and Jack Daniels was a hot commodity .

JTR - man... didn't mention about your issue much - mostly because I have no input on it - never had an injury that would not be fixed with some rest and no running. But really hope you somehow get it resolved as you seem to definitely have this love for running...

Cal: You are absolutely right, I do have that love for sure.  Nice job on building those mitochondria 

Mikkey: I hope the foot issue is something that can easily be resolved. How was the doctor visit?

Cinnamon: Fortunately the rowing does not bother things at all. Here's the strange thing: about 1 week ago, I just got fed up and decided to do the one exercise which really aggravates this injury and hurts like hell: straight leg raises while lying on my back (both legs simultaneously). They hurt bad at first, but less each time. And the run after I did those I felt almost no pain. So I have been doing those every day, and before each run. I used to do these all the time, but stopped after my first hernia in June 2016, since they hurt too much to do. I wonder if those muscles became so weak in the meantime that bad things started to happen?  All I know is that this is working so I am sticking with it.

BTW, that is total BS regarding the days off...I like Mikkey's idea for dealing with it 

Swim: Amazing how you are back at it so soon!

DW: Interesting that you had asthma issues Thur/Fri; my son had what seemed like allergies Thursday after an indoor meet at the Armory in NYC; sneezing like crazy the next 24 hours. Not sure if it was bad air quality further north or just in the Armory... Nice week by the way.

Andres: Strong week; you and DW are looking good for Houston.

Weather: Excellent news on the forecast; I hope that holds! I would go with the gloves and hat as you mentioned, and considering you are used to much warmer conditions maybe a long sleeve T for the top. THere is always the arm-warmers option but I have no experience with those.

Nimmals: Thanks for the suggestions; not sure if PRP or STEM would help; I hope I am through the woods and will not need to investigate further options... Have been doing PT, also tried chiropractor, meditation, as well as a lot of stretching and strengthening. And the breakthrough came with what I mentioned above to Cinnamon. Strange but I will take it.

JMac: I like Roger Bannister's pre-race routine best: 5 days of complete rest prior to all important races (including the first sub 4 mile)! SO maybe I need to take a full 5 days off before the next marathon 

2:52:16 (2018)

Swim5599

Oof, so much to catch on during my semi-annual running break. Really loving the chatter though, some great stuff. I’ll address a few things here.

Mikkey - I’ve had zero taper madness for two straight cycles. I think that deserves something, right? Also I love your self-reading of the x-ray, I think runners must drive doctors nuts. On the other hand, there are doctors I go to and I think “this person knows nothing”, but I think it’s because they’re more concerned with serious stuff vs. “wahhhh I can’t run right now” even though that is so important for us. Either way, your goal of getting in the same corral as cal is very important. Boston is an absolute CF and it’s important you know where your main rival is at all times.

Andres - I’m so glad you’re posting again, not only because you’re training out of your mind right now, but because you have such strong opinions. You, cal, and nimmals bring a lot of great takes here (mainly on point) and it makes it better. Regarding the long run issue, I think if you’ve been running 24 mile longs runs, then 20 two weeks out makes sense. But I think you’ve been doing mainly 21, 22, so I would say 18 feels right 2 weeks out.

Weather - so happy to hear about your forecast! I was thinking today (yes other people’s running enters my head at weird times) that if this one didn’t work out, I don’t know how you continue to run so many races where the weather is suspect. I think you’re registered for Boston 2020, so not only do I want you to run near my time just because you deserve it, but because this time we are actually meeting in corral 1 

JT - glad to see you putting up the miles again! I wasn’t directly calling you out, I promise. But you do have a unique taper, not even regarding the long run 2 weeks prior, but especially with your incredibly sharp drop the days prior. I think you do something like 5-6 miles three days out, and then two straight days off. May be something to tinker with next year.

Cinnamon - that really sucks. Many of this are fortunate on this board with employers that give us relatively easy time off. I think you get the real MVP vote, given your difficult job and other life circumstances. No way I could juggle running with what you do.

DW - as usual, spot on analysis. I feel like out of everyone on these boards, LRC, and in general, you have the most nuanced positions. As someone that feels that nuance is dead in our society today, I love what you post. It’s probably because you’re a lawyer, but I still appreciate it 

Coaching - I totally agree that having an outside pair of eyes helps. However, I also agree with the fact that coaches are stubborn. My HS experience was so negative with coaching that it turned me off to them. The entire Salazar incident doesn’t help either, or what I see some folks throwing up as training because their coach thought it was right. I think it makes sense for people who are going backwards, but I just can’t see myself going to one anytime soon. I do SO much research on running and would rather be my own coach. It goes the same with doctors too, in the running sense. I trust my own intuition with how to treat my body with so many different trial and error periods. I also know from having a few doctor friends that a lot of doctors out there are not that great. That’s not to say that you should come in with some BS Internet research, but you have to be informed and not just trust a “professional” in any circumstance, whether it’s a doctor, lawyer, or running coach. But look to them to help fill your voids in knowledge.

Swim - just to address others points: I’m not sure you’ve fully addressed why running two quality runs in the same day makes sense for you. I get that some people have more/less talent than others, but every time I see your workouts, I think that it’s for someone running sub 2:20 at your age. You seem to have a history of training to a crazy high level, which is amazing. But to run the mileage you run, PLUS the crazy workouts, I wonder how often you challenge your coach to say “is this really right for me?” Again, not judging, but it’s just for outside the norm that I’m curious what your coaches position on this is.

Everything is set based on a functional threshold number.  We test usually every 6 weeks.  The idea is if you execute well on the test you are always training at your current fitness level.  We work on increasing FTP by looking at the power duration curve.  We find the marathon sweet spot which is a percentage of FTP and we work on that also.  He keeps track of my total stress balance and ramp rate and therefore we don’t over work either.  It’s pretty simple really and I don’t have to run 130 mpw s.  Dan was doing it also but his doubles were a little different.  As a result I never really get that dead totally fatigued mid cycle feeling I used to. I also get good race estimates based on all this.  If I had hit the same power avg as last year based on how much higher my Running Effectiveness number was I could have run 2:39.  So it’s definitely there just need a little luck and really good weather.   

And Cal is hyper critical of what I do because I haven’t run as fast as he thinks I should.  I am well aware of what my physiological limit is given my age and I hope to get there but if I don’t it’s not because I wasn’t training correctly because for the last 18 months I have been.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Your buddy here in Houston just takes what he does, and gives it to those he coaches. Ends up with just ridiculous workouts. Even at 53 he still does some crazy stuff. Like 5 miles at threshold, rest, then an all out mile. My legs would certainly quit if I tried that.

He is certifiably nuts, He does so many hours aqua jogging and he knows his runners don't do the same. In comparison his legs are well rested and fresher so he can pull a stunt like that.  But he knows his range he has very little success over 10k as of late and seldom even races over the distance. Do you remember what was his times in the Atlanta Olympics 2:30:35

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: I hope the foot issue is something that can easily be resolved. How was the doctor visit?

I’m seeing him on Friday, I went through the NHS which means the process is a bit slower than going private. I should’ve really got it checked out a lot sooner!

Cal/Andres - That’s good to know about updating the BQ as there are better options for me in October.

Weatherboy - Congrats on reaching 4K miles this year!  I’ve raced a few halfs in cold conditions and gloves/hat are an absolute must! Cold training runs I always wear a long sleeve compression top, but race in a normal short sleeve top.

Swim - Just ignore Cal, he knows nothing. 😜

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - so happy about your forecast! That is a no excuses type weather forecast, I really think you should try what I did which was ease in and see if something like 5:55 feels right by mile 3. I found by mile 4 I was creeping down to 5:50 so I knew going for sub 6:00 was the exact right strategy. You have been running almost exactly the same paces as me so it should be doable. Sub 2:40 is a must.

Regarding the forecast, definitely throw away gloves and a throw away hat. Everybody’s temps run differently, so it’s hard to say exactly what you should wear. I would 100% use arm warmers and a singlet though, since it allows you to throw out the arm warmers if it starts getting into the mid 40s with sun, which is where I start actually heating up. If it’s in the 30s to start, and maybe a very low sun (not sure what time your race starts), I would throw a light long sleeve on top of that. The biggest variable is the sun though: 40 and sunny is warm enough you just need arm warmers, and potentially even just a singlet as the sun angle gets higher. 40 and cloudy (and wind, which you mentioned) is much colder.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

All: Any suggestions for marathon race day gear for temperatures around 40 (or even colder) Smile  Some of the latest model runs even have AM temps down into the 30's for Sunday morning which will feel downright FREEZING especially  for this FL runner and considering how hot and muggy we have been!  My lungs might go into shock with no to little humidity as well.  Imagine some throw away gloves and a hat will be a must if this verifies, but the forecast calls for sun so temps should moderate quickly.  Still 6 days out though so it will likely change a bit.

So... that's a great forecast, but could definitely feel a bit off if you're not at all acclimated to cooler weather.  As I'm pretty sure you're not.

I always mentally split this stuff into two buckets:  1) what am I stuck with for the duration of the race (generally lower body and shoes/socks) and 2) what can I shed easily during the race (shirt, gloves, hat).

Even down into the 30s, with the sun, and with you not used to this weather, I think shorts are the obvious right choice.  So that's good.  Because that's really the only thing you have to commit to.

For upper body, I'd go with throwaway shirt over singlet, throwaway hat, throwaway gloves.  Then toss stuff during the race per your preference.

As for before the race, I don't know how long you'll be sitting around outside before, but if it's longer than about 10 minutes, I'd wear a heavy sweatshirt and heavy sweatpants in the start area.  It is very easy to get chilled before a marathon, and that can really wreck your race.  I'd take scissors and cut a slit on each lower leg of the sweatpants, so that you can remove them easily right before the start without having to wrestle them over your shoes.

Swim - are you working with Steve Palladino?  That's what jumped out at me, based on your description of your training.  I think he's the only pure running coach that uses FTP for training.

Nimmals and Andres -  I knew who you were talking about without even looking up the Atlanta Olympics results.  The guy has a reputation Smile

Also, funny thing about that  Build Your Running Body book...it has a chapter on "Build Your Running Hormones."  Featuring comments and input by one Dr. Jeffrey Brown - the same guy who just got a 4 year ban, along with Salazar.  Oops.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

Thanks for suggestions on cold weather gear!  No matter what I plan on hitting up Goodwill for some throw away gear.  I've also heard that they open up the gym at school (start/finish area) so keeping warm beforehand shouldn't be that big of an issue.  I will say even this morning with temps down to around 59 I was downright cold LOL .  This is literally the coldest I've run in in over a month so I realize it is all relative.  Other minor concern will be breathing as dew points are supposed to plummet late Saturday as well.

Race tracking info should come out around Thursday or so.  It's a fairly small race, compared to the big city races so everything is a bit delayed.  They do have a 5K, HM, and FM all going off together so I'll at least have folks to run with for the first several miles.  Still hoping there are some others going for sub 2:40 as the headwind will likely get tricky in the 2nd half of the race.  Always easier to work with others in the wind.

EDIT: Just found out I'm BIB 52 and tracking can be found here.  Unfortunately, I will have to run through the slower half marathon runners towards the end of the race as well.

Live Results and Runner Tracking 

You can keep up with your favorite runner and get instant results using the the 1st Place Sports app (a free download from iTunes or Google) or by visiting the 1stplacesports.com website. Instant results will be posted to the app as the race progresses. Times will be uploaded for the following splits:

• Half Marathon (finish for half and 13.1 split for Marathon)
                              • 20 Mile
                              • Finish for Marathon

Results will also be posted at www.1stplacesports.com as the race progresses.

Direct results link.  https://my.raceresult.com/145670/results?lang=en

Running Problem

Problem Child

weather I think the "keep warm" option is good if you allow yourself to "cool down" to race temperatures about 10 minutes before race time. Something I learned after my first race was not to hang out in the warm rooms until a few minutes before race start then jump into the cold.

For 40s...arm sleeves and a t shirt top for me with some gloves because I hate cold hands. After the first 8 or so miles you might be in a comfortable temperature and can start ditching layers. I think jmac has some solid advice on the sun coming up and dwaves advice of "what am I stuck with" is how I went into CIM thinking it would be raining and a headwind for a few miles. I bought arm sleeves earlier this year with plans to toss them at CIM because the race start is typically in the high 30s to mid 40s and warms up from there.

coaching I leave coaching to my "less than imaginary" online friends. They haven't failed me yet and I see good improvements from their advice so I just keep doing what works. I had it pretty easy at CIM after my gels were picked out, goal was set, race gear was outlined, and I just had to program my watch to alert me when to eat. I even had a coach show up during the race to watch my performance. Seems like the one coach I haven't had a problem with and I once tried to coach myself.

40 miles last week.

2019 summary: 

over 2,100 miles for the year with the goal being 2019.

TWO marathon PRs.

Sub 3 for the guaranteed (I hope) Boston 2021 entry.

no injuries.

Running related....2019 was a pretty big year.

Bye Bye 2019. I can see 2020 in the near future. I see some long runs over varied terrain.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22