Would this drive you nuts? (Read 789 times)

I saw a commercial for the Nike/ iPod kit yesterday... the thing tells you "you've run 1 mile" "400 yards to go" etc. This would drive me INSANE, especially on long runs ... hearing "you have 16 miles to go" -- how obnoxious! Confused
    2009: BQ?
      Yup, just saw that commercial last night and I had the same reaction. But then I can't even run with music most of the time. Once in a while I'll take my wife's shuffle when I'm going for an EASY jog on a sunny Saturday. But most days I don't want any distractions.

Runners run

Yeah, I saw that commercial too. I guess it's kind of cool that we have the technology to make this kind of gadget but, do you really need it? This product has zero appeal to me. I've even been rethinking running with music. I got my Shuffle all sweaty during one of my warm "winter" runs last week & it hasn't worked since. I've actually enjoyed my runs a little more without it. I say keep it simple. All you need is a pair of shoes, a route, maybe a watch, & a little time.
        JakeKnight

This idea has serious potential. It just needs a little tweaking is all, a little bit of customization. Now if they could make the voice sound like HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey ... that'd be the ticket. "What are you doing, Jake? Why are you running so fast?" That'd be sweet. Or James Earl Jones doing Darth Vader. "Run to the dark side, Jake ... the force is strong in you today .." Or Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey: "C'mon, sweetheart ... pick up those legs, you scum-sucking nancy boy, my grandmama runs faster than you ..." Oh, yeah. Never mind. I already hear that voice. Better yet, Kathleen Turner circa 1984, that sultry voice in my ears: "Oh, Jake, you're running so fast. Go faster! You know I like it when you go faster ..." Oh, yes. Lots of potential. I'm going to make millions. The possibilities are infinite. Interested investors, contact me ASAP.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

, my grandmama runs faster than you ..." Oh, yeah. Never mind. I already hear that voice..
            Big grin Your grandmother sure runs faster than a lot of people!

Roads were made for journeys...

Prophet!

it actually works for me hearing that i have 400 m to go, 300 m to go...gets me going faster and faster in the end...you can check your pace any time by pushing the button which helps me because i tend to drift off sometimes when i get too comfortable during a run...customize voice would be great though..
                Well, I have one and really like it. I usually run on the treadmill so it keeps me entertained, however it is also nice when I'm outside because it clocks my miles for me. You can tell it not to talk to you as well, or tell it to count other things like calories. It usually tells you when you hit each mile until the half-way point of your designed run, then it counts down the miles... If you break a personal goal then a "famous" voice like Lance Armstrong will offer congrats! That part is kinda weird. They need to program your name in when your buy it, so Lance could say,"Alyssa, you slow poke you finally ran longer than 10 miles." Maybe if they piss me off then I will run faster/longer
                Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
                va

The January 2007 issue of Consumer Reports has a brief review of the Nike + Ipod kit. They say it's extremely accurate, "when the testers moved at an even pace", but then go on to say: "But if you mix jogging and sprinting, the system can be less than 90 percent accurate for pace and distance. For someone running a mile in 6 minutes and 30 seconds, the readout might say 7 minutes." I lost interest at that point.
                  JakeKnight

"But if you mix jogging and sprinting, the system can be less than 90 percent accurate for pace and distance. For someone running a mile in 6 minutes and 30 seconds, the readout might say 7 minutes."
                    Yup. That'd be a deal breaker. But then I'm not much for gadgets. I don't even know what this is. Is it a GPS thing? A pedometer? What?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Prophet!

go on to say: For someone running a mile in 6 minutes and 30 seconds, the readout might say 7 minutes." .
                      this actually works for me too. I'll be running much faster than i thought during races. Big grin
                      va

Yup. That'd be a deal breaker. But then I'm not much for gadgets. I don't even know what this is. Is it a GPS thing? A pedometer? What?
                        It's a pedometer that interworks with your iPod. Pretty neat idea. See http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/gear.html

madness baby

I think we were all watching the same channel last night. That's excactly what I said- I do not need to know how far I'm going. I'm running for fun, anyway, it's hard enough for me to stop looking at my new watch. It was nicer before when I didn't have one. Smile
                          deb