Gloves? (Read 856 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What gloves do you wear for cool weather running? Today I just put a cheap pair of those stretchy knit gloves on, since they were handy and not too heavyweight (it was 45ยบ or so when I started my run). But they aren't particularly absorbant and I'd love something that is absorbent on the outside (to sop up sweat on my face and runny nose--gross, I know) and wicking on the inside. Or would I be better off finding wicking liner gloves and a thin cotton glove to wear over those? What about for colder temps (below freezing)? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I actually just bought a pair of running gloves from REI. They're 180s Convertible Training Gloves. I haven't gotten to use them yet, but I will let you know.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, those are VERY nice, but given my history with gloves I'd better not be spending more than maybe $10/pair--I tend to lose at least one after only a month or so. *smacks head* Ok, so any glove recommendations for a budget? Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ooh, those are VERY nice, but given my history with gloves I'd better not be spending more than maybe $10/pair--I tend to lose at least one after only a month or so. *smacks head* Ok, so any glove recommendations for a budget? Wink k
          Tie or sew a long piece of yarn to hold them together... thread through the back of the shirt or through the arms of your coat... That way if you lose one you lose the other... Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tie or sew a long piece of yarn to hold them together... thread through the back of the shirt or through the arms of your coat... That way if you lose one you lose the other... Tongue
            Ha, like a kindergartener! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Haha, sorry about that. Yeah, I had a big discount at REI, so they ended up costing me under $15.
              scrumhalfgirl

So far, I've been using the little stretch gloves on my cold morning runs...probably need a more long-term solution though...

-Jess

I use the little stretch gloves, and haven't even considered getting anything else. They're cheap so it doesn't matter if I lose them, get them dirty, rip them, etc. I throw them in the wash every week with the rest of my running clothes. I'd be too worried about losing or ruining a more expensive pair!
                    The knit gloves are really nifty in that they are cheap, though I've never had good luck with them when it comes to durability. The ends always fray, and then within like 2 days you have yoruself some fingertip warmers. My favorite glove (down to around 35-40 degrees) has always been my sleeve. Just tuck the hands in and grab ahold and I'm good to go. Ok, so that's not really a glove, but I can present a better option. Being a nordic skiier, I always a have a couple pairs of gloves from that laying around, and I really like those for running too. When it gets cold enough, those really do the job. They are light weight, built for endurance exercise, and you can get some pretty nice ones fairly cheap. Swix makes some really killer stuff, though I love the model from like '97 the best, oh well. When the temperature is inbetween the "Wow, why are my hands a block of ice?" and "Shirt sleeves is A-OK!" I usually head out with some fleece gloves, I have a pair of these from LL Bean (except for men) that are really nice. they have cheaper ones too, but fleece always seems to work real well for me

~J

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those are pretty nice gloves, too...I should start looking at eBay for nice gloves for a bit of savings, maybe... k

~ Sarah Kay

Last winter, after wearing those cheap stretchy knit ones, I bought an inexpensive pair of wicking gloves at Gander Mountain. Got them for around 10 bucks. Love 'em. They are thinner and less bulky and don't annoy me when I'm running like the other ones did. After my long runs, you could wring the sweat out of the knit ones. Usually didn't wear them for the whole run. Just the early part unless it was *really* cold. (Like the day my tears froze on my eyelashes and dh's mustache was solid ice. Five below. Brrr!) Teresa
                          I just buy the cheap, brown cotton work gloves sold at hardware stores and gas stations. About $2 a pair or less. They're light, comfortable, and can be pitched after becoming too grungy.
                          JakeKnight

I'm still wearing the freebie gray cotton pieces of crap they handed out at the Chicago Marathon in 1997. They work perfectly ... only problem is that they now have sentimental value, so I'd hate to lose 'em. A lot of people seem to like wearing old athletic socks. They work fine, and if the day gets warm, just toss 'em in a garbage can. My favorite runners at marathons always show up wearing a garbage bag with socks on their hands. Big grin

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------