Nutrition, Weight and exercise. (Read 606 times)

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and just started getting back into the running. I have some questions (which probably seem stupid). However, it can't hurt to ask: Just started taking Whey Protein before each run and I'm wondering whether or not this will help keep me from losing weight, and perhaps help in building muscle? I'm what you would call "skinny fat", so i think I just need to reduce percentage of body fat; Or maybe i need to lose some more weight. As it stands, I am 6'2 167 lbs. Thanks.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Patrick, whey protein powders shouldn't keep you from losing, as long as you don't overdo it on total calories (and since they aren't usually filled with sugar they are not usually too heavy on calories). They can be a good source of protein, especially after a long run or workout. I have often made simple shakes with whey protein powder, water, a little half-n-half, berries, and maybe plain yogurt. Good stuff. There are a bunch of us on here who are working to lose weight. Come hang with us in the Jiggly Joggers group. We're about to start our 5% down weight loss challenge for Fall. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Cool, Thanks a lot, i'll do that.
          hi pwhidden at a guess from your stats i’d say adding some muscle and losing fat (ie improving your body fat percentage) would likely help more than just losing more weight. if you just concentrate on losing more weight the chances are good you are just going to lose more muscle - and end up even more skinny fat! additional protein will help minimise any muscle loss from running. personally i’d take it after running rather than before but i don’t suppose it matters much. however, you probably do need to look at some type of strength training in addition to running to build some muscle and ensure any weight you are losing is fat.