Guess what Mrs Cheapdate has on... (Read 885 times)

Now that was a bath...

Well, usual shite aside - I'm wearing my brand new pair of Asics running shoes on my feet! See - I am a good girl. I listen to the voice of reason and experience! Of course I am now really worried that they won't be as comfy as my 6 year old battered retro adidas running shoes, but the worst case scenario is that I look great whilst my feet bleed and bounce down the road. Which brings me to a question. Do you do anything to break new running shoes in? Should I just hit the streets tomorrow morning and not worry about them (I'm only running between 4 & 8km a day at the moment as I am a newborn in the running world), or should I wear them around the house a bit first. I have to say they are really comfy, but I do feel a little bit 'disco' with all the silver decoration. My husband is already threatening me with silver hot pants and a matching jacket so I can look the whole part. Groovy baby. Definitely groovy. Mrs Cookie Cheapdate has new shoes!!! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh...my hubby is notoriously cheap (ask backroadrunner, she can tell you stories of his frugality), but when he bought his $3500 road bike I knew it was ALL over. He can never complain about my $$ running shoes. Big grin Besides, disco is cool. I also have shoes with silver trim and I should look into some matching gear, maybe... Wink As far as breaking them in, I would maybe just run easy and see how they are. I had one bad pair of shoes (good shoes, just didn't work on my weird feet) that gave me problems as soon as I did my first long run (rubbed my heel--not noticeable until I did anything over 4 miles). I was able to return them, luckily. My current shoes I think I just took it easy in for the first couple of runs, but they have been a dream since day 1. I think if they are the right shoe for you that they should be great from the time you first put them on. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Like Zoomy said... if they're the right pair, they'll feel good from the start. You shouldn't have to "break in" running shoes. If they hurt or rub you wrong, you need to return them and try another pair. Because of that, you might want to be careful about getting them dirty on your virgin run ::ahem:: Wink A nice, indoor treadmill would be a good place to start.... And by the way, I'm VERY glad you decided to get new shoes. Old shoes are a pretty-much sure-fire way toget hurt. Sad

Roads were made for journeys...

Scout7

YAY!!! New running shoes!!! Wow....I just channeled my 9 year old niece, I think....Weird. Anyhoo, all non-characteristic female actions aside, I'm glad you went and got a new pair of shoes. Your feet, shins, knees, and hips will thank you later on. As for breaking them in.... I try to take them out on a shorter run, to see how they feel. If they don't fit right, or cause blistering in places you're not used to, it could be either the shoes don't fit right, or may just need to be worn a little bit. I've had shoes that gave me a blister once, then never again. Try walking in them first, to sort of loosen them a bit, then taking them out running.
            Try walking in them first, to sort of loosen them a bit, then taking them out running.
            Good advice (since I do the same thing). I walk around in them for a day or two, then rotate them in on some short runs.
            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

I tend to use my newly purchased (clean) shoes in the Gym and move my Gym shoes out on the road/trail (ready to get dirty, all ready run-in) and the tired old road-ones go to gardening duty. Just a thought (we English are a strange breed). Undecided ps Just FYI ... ASICS 2100

Running ... just keep running!

I would agree with wearing them around the house. I usually do some yard work with them also. Then rotate them in by doing short runs first. I made the mistake of wearing Nike Milers on a 12 mile run the day i got them made it 6 miles in on an out and back loop. My toes were bleeding and blistered because they did not fit right. Don't make that same mistake.
                Run World, Run.

Now that was a bath...

Thanks everyone for the tips. I wore them out for a short run the day I got them and had no problems when out but did notice a small blister on the sole of my foot later in the day. I am going to wear them around the house and will alternate them with my old shoes for a while. I read a tip on line about putting vaseline on the area where they rubbed - anyone tried that before? Claire xxx
                • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                  Scout7

I use BodyGlide over Vasoline, but it'll do the same thing.

madness baby

Besides, disco is cool. I also have shoes with silver trim and I should look into some matching gear, maybe... Wink k
                      Great, kooky and kirsten, now I don't feel so left out with my new bling shoes-Nike Air Equalons with silver trim!-they were an early Christmas gift from my husband since I have been running my longer distances in old "gym" Asics. Good for you, Kooky, for getting new shoes. I agree with Scout, you get an all out YAY!! I'm with ya, girl!
                      deb
                        Great, kooky and kirsten, now I don't feel so left out with my new bling shoes-Nike Air Equalons with silver trim!-they were an early Christmas gift from my husband since I have been running my longer distances in old "gym" Asics. Good for you, Kooky, for getting new shoes. I agree with Scout, you get an all out YAY!! I'm with ya, girl!
                        Disco diva here...I'm on my 3rd pair of shoes w/ silver. Actually, I just started brand new pair of Asics GT2110's last week & loved them!! This is my first pair in several years that doesn't have some variation/combination of gray, silver, light blue & black. I'm now flashy silver & super fast orange!!! Cool Eryn
                        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I so wish my NB 1222s came in something other than white with blue and silver or white with lavender and gray. I ended up with the lavender for my new ones, since I wanted an easy way to tell them apart from my older ones when I'm half asleep in the mornings. They're really bland looking. I'm hoping NB comes out with some new colors by the time I need my next pair...orange or lime green would be hella cool! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

If you don't mind defacing them, you can write on the side of the heel with a Sharpie...

Roads were made for journeys...