Tips On Racing The Mile (Read 280 times)

LRB

Thanks for the input peeps!  I finished my first 1 mile race in 6:11.  My race report is here if anyone is interested in the gory details.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

LRB - you said you are in Michigan.  I am as well and also looking for mile races.  Only one I have run is the Clawson Firecracker Mile on July 4 in 2011.  I missed it last year but am hoping to run it again this year.  It's a great race and a fast course (West to East so should get a slight tailwind, slight downhill and straight).

What other mile races have you found?  I'm on the east side of the state but travel around so could look at a race anywhere.

LRB

What other mile races have you found?  I'm on the east side of the state but travel around so could look at a race anywhere.

So far just the Berkley Days on May 11. I am constantly scanning the wire though for other events.

The USATF has an event in June that might interest you.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

So far just the Berkley Days on May 11. I am constantly scanning the wire though for other events.

The USATF has an event in June that might interest you.

LRB - thanks much.  I'll take a look at those.  The Firecracker Mile link is below:

http://www.clawsonruns.com/Firecracker/

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice race, LRB!  I thought your splits of

1:31

1:36

1:36

1:25

were quite good for a first effort.  A lot of first-timers would have run the first lap much faster, and blown up on the subsequent laps.  You had your last lap as your fastest, which is the essence of how the mile should be run.  I think my splits in my best mile were like 68-71-72-66, which aren't proportionally much different from yours, so I think you're on the right track.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

LRB

LRB - thanks much.  I'll take a look at those.  The Firecracker Mile link is below:

http://www.clawsonruns.com/Firecracker/

I am in for that bad boy!

Thanks Jeff!

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

LRB - did you run the Berkley mile?  If so, how did it go?

I'm still planning on Clawson July 4 run, assuming I don't manage to injure myself before that!

LRB

Yes, with some of the ugliest quarter mile splits ever; 1:28, 1:34, 1:37, 1:24 for a time of 6:05.

Just all over the place, and a complete lack of focus on my part.

I do plan to run the Fire Cracker mile in Clawson, but with at least a couple of 1 mile time trials under my belt beforehand.

Feeling the growl again

I do plan to run the Fire Cracker mile in Clawson, but with at least a couple of 1 mile time trials under my belt beforehand.

I suck at middle distance but I love that particular race....going whole hog in a straight line.  I wish I'd gotten to run it more than once, but it's my PR.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills