2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ditto here Mikkey. You don't need to state its an easy run on strava. People are almost embarrassed and feel like they have to emphasize why their pace isn't fast.

I have no problem running nearly 8 to 9 min mile especially as you age you need a few warmup miles.

Then I will go run my 10k time trial and shock my strava mates 

Like I’ve said previously, there’s no need to be a hero in training!  Anyway, best of luck with your half this weekend. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Concur. Just uploaded my 7:50+ recovery run to strava after crushing yesterday. It was what it was....I tried to keep it easy and the pace was what it was. Playing strava speed games is just the path to injury.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikkey - I'll refer you to the opening post on this thread   I could go out at 2:59 pace and possibly hold it to close to halfway...however the second half would be so catastrophic I'd never run again.

piwi - I do include the type of run including "easy" or "recovery".  I'm beyond caring about being too slow for Strava (and usually any feedback relates to slowing down anyway...) but it makes it easier to see what each run was if I'm looking back at a training cycle.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I'll refer you to the opening post on this thread   I could go out at 2:59 pace and possibly hold it to close to halfway...however the second half would be so catastrophic I'd never run again.

Welcome to the sub3 thread!

I’m going to warn you that there’s a guy called Cal that will question your training and goal time.

He is lethal 😎

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Welcome to the sub3 thread!

I’m going to warn you that there’s a guy called Cal that will question your training and goal time.

He is lethal 😎

Nah-nah-nah-nah... It's all a thing of the past. It took me few years here to realize that here in the States it's all about feeling good about yourself - even if you suck, everybody tries to ignore it, smile and have fun is a priority, nobody cares about constructive criticism, kids getting prizes for finishing last - so, why should I give a f***, right? So, I don't give a damn - finish on your liking and feel great about yourself.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well, I'd prefer not to suck but since it's my first marathon I'm okay with everyone ignoring the fact that I do.  If I come last, I'll still claiming the medal!

I do understand your point though, any advice is coming from a place of trying to improve.  Hopefully I get through the next 6 weeks unscathed and have something to build on for my next attempt.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nah-nah-nah-nah... It's all a thing of the past. It took me few years here to realize that here in the States it's all about feeling good about yourself - even if you suck, everybody tries to ignore it, smile and have fun is a priority, nobody cares about constructive criticism, kids getting prizes for finishing last - so, why should I give a f***, right? So, I don't give a damn - finish on your liking and feel great about yourself.

Absolutely classic response! 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think that last sentence is the leader for quote of the year for the thread.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Change a few words and this reads like something I would love to say to my students.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

A+. Steve as long as you feel like you ran hard enough, give yourself a 2:59.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

(seems like the perfect opportunity to introduce the next controversial topic...)

Just wear the Nike carbon plated shoes. 2:59 pace will feel like 3:20 pace. They're easily good for 20 minutes.

I ordered a pair of the Next%'s yesterday. While they look funky, way less so than the Alpha's. Those things look crazy. I'm sure I'll change my mind in a few years on that too. Seems like all the carbon plated shoes are mainstream enough that I'm getting over the idea of refusing to wear them in a real marathon. My guess is I'll wear them in Boston.

Upcoming races: Boston

darkwave

Mother of Cats

. Seems like all the carbon plated shoes are mainstream enough that I'm getting over the idea of refusing to wear them in a real marathon. My guess is I'll wear them in Boston.

My small annoyance is that it's getting harder and harder to find non-carbon plated options for training, it seems.  If others want to do all their workouts in high-stack plated shoes, that's totally their call.  But for myself, I'm worried about a) the added stress to my ankles from high stack soft shoes and b) loss in intrinsic foot and ankle strength from the plate.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Andres1045

My small annoyance is that it's getting harder and harder to find non-carbon plated options for training, it seems.  If others want to do all their workouts in high-stack plated shoes, that's totally their call.  But for myself, I'm worried about a) the added stress to my ankles from high stack soft shoes and b) loss in intrinsic foot and ankle strength from the plate.

Um, yeah. Duh. You don't want strava thinking you're slow.

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'll take the bait.

The concern over carbon-plated shoes and not wanting to "taint" your PR made sense a few years ago. It wasn't clear whether they would end up legal and you didn't want to run a good time to later have to question it. After the world athletics came out and blessed them AND every single shoe company started making them, I now think people are crazy who are still searching for non carbon-plated shoes. Why do you even run in rubber soled shoes? Those are an invention that clearly had massive impacts on the times humans are capable of running for long distances. Also, never run a time trial on a track.

Humans have long grown accustomed to things in their teens through 30s, and then grow resistant to change. There's a reason people become more conservative as they get older. This shoe thing is another example of that. Everyone is completely okay with all the technology that was new when they were younger, but somehow this new stuff is unfair. I'm sure in 30 years there will be new technology out there and all the people who are currently teens will think "I can't believe this new technology, I will only run my marathons in the VaporFly, it's the only legit shoe left" You see this same nonsense in golf: guys who were golfers in the 90s complaining about all the length off the tee today, yet they were using technology when they played that was unheard of in the 60s!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I use them for some workouts and that is where I think the biggest benefit is. They help on race day, but being able to handle the training load (since I tend to run in lower profile shoes) just wouldn't be possible if not using them in some key workouts. My left Achilles and knee are the things that often shut me down, and being able to train higher miles and intensity and not have them break down i think will have more impact than the shoes on race day specifically. I believe they help in races for sure, but using them in training as well (on hard workouts days) is the difference in my targeting sub 2:45 vs sub 2:38. I just wouldn't be able to keep my legs together to do the requisite work.

That said. It is a big issue to me that it is a financial issue for many kids.  I can afford 1 pair every 2 years (any only because my daily shoes i get for $60-70 from new balance discount store).  I think that kids not having access to them in HS unless your family is rich is a real concern. I think below the college level they should have restrictions for competition at least on the supershoes.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k