Running in the rain (Read 1532 times)

I'm on week 2 of C25k and I've had nice weather so far (at least for December standards) but it looks like rain for my next scheeduled run. Anyone have good tips for running in the rain?  I'm in NC so not worried about snow.

I'm trying to stick to my schedule and not have any excuses to skip a day so any tips/advice would be appreciated!

Cool Jump Suit

Use plenty of body glide or vaseline for chafing issues!  And something water resistant on the outside with a technical fabric underneath.  Try and keep your feet dry at all costs

So bittersweet,
      This tragedy
      Won't ask for absolution;
      This melody,
      Inside of me,
      Still searches for solution.
      A twist of faith,
      A change of heart
      Cures my infatuation.
      A broken heart, 
      Provides the spark
      For my determination.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I like to wear a hat with a visor to keep the rain water (which, without a visor will have picked up hair product, sunscreen, and sweat) from running into my eyes.

Other than that, I just run.

I don't worry about wet feet or chafing unless I'm going to be out for hours.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Some random thoughts and tips about running in the rain:

1. Rain doesn't really affect your running.Your muscles work the same: wet or dry.  Your body doesn't really care if its wet, so why should you?  Wind & heat can slow you down.  Cold & lightning can be dangerous.  But rain?  Its just water....

2.  Accept the fact that you're going to be wet.  You'll survive; trust me.  We're so pampered with automatic umbrellas and covered walkways and drive-through windows that we've forgotten that we humans are pretty much waterproof.  Dress appropriately for the temperature, plan to be wet, and don't worry about it.  Once you mentally accept the fact that your wet and still ok, then you can actually start to enjoy it.

3.  Wet shoes happen.  If you have good socks and well-fitting shoes, you shouldn't have any chafing or blister issues.  Keep on moving, and the extra water you soaked up tends to fly out anyway.

4. Its a cliche, but you could say that rain defines real runners.  The people you see out running in the rain: those are the people who don't let excuses get in the way of their workouts or training schedules.  When you finish a workout in the rain, even if you didn't have a good day, you can still tell yourself, "at least I didn't let a little rain stop me."  There's a sense of accomplishment after finishing a rainy workout, no matter what your time or distance might have been.

5. Rainy days are a great excuse to leave the ipod, garmin, and watch behind.  Even if your electronics are weather-resistant, I think its enjoyable to go without them every so often.

Finally, a safety tip: drivers seem to turn off their pedestrian-awareness when its raining.  Maybe they don't expect anyone to be out in the rain, and maybe its the diminished visibility conditions, but I find that cars are less likely to yield or even see me when its raining.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Finally, a safety tip: drivers seem to turn off their pedestrian-awareness when its raining.  Maybe they don't expect anyone to be out in the rain, and maybe its the diminished visibility conditions, but I find that cars are less likely to yield or even see me when its raining.

+1

In terms of gear...the only thing I do different in the rain is wear a cap/visor to help with visibility. 

This is why I run

smartwool socks keep you feet warm in cold rain....also help in preventing blisters (at least for me they do).
              Clydesdales shouldn't run in Five Fingers!

Loves the outdoors

In the rain I just try and wear a hat to stop water on my glasses. I also tend to pick routes where I know the water doesn't puddle as much to try and keep my feet a little drier. Honestly, running in the rain is refreshing Smile

I started running this year using the C25K and it's been a wonderful journey. One of the most important things that's helped me keep going is the no excuses approach to running. If I have a run planned I run it. The weather is just a variable to deal with.  Good luck!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Mariposai

S

4. Its a cliche, but you could say that rain defines real runners.  The people you see out running in the rain: those are the people who don't let excuses get in the way of their workouts or training schedules.  When you finish a workout in the rain, even if you didn't have a good day, you can still tell yourself, "at least I didn't let a little rain stop me."  There's a sense of accomplishment after finishing a rainy workout, no matter what your time or distance might have been.

Well stated feeling.

I am a runner, I run most days of the week/month so when I wake up at predawn I just get dress for the occasion (rain, snow, wind, sun) and then just go out. When it is raining I like to wear a hat with a visor to keep the rain water away from my face.

Good luck with your training....and don't let the rain stop you from having fun.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Just give it a try, you'll see it's  not bad at all.  Try to keep your feet dry if possible.   Yesterday, I rain in the pouring rain and it was 34 degrees.  I was totally fine, until my feet got soaked...  I can only run with soaked feet if it's summer  : - )

- Anya

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Just give it a try, you'll see it's  not bad at all.  Try to keep your feet dry if possible.   Yesterday, I rain in the pouring rain and it was 34 degrees.  I was totally fine, until my feet got soaked...  I can only run with soaked feet if it's summer  : - )

In general, you'll be hard pressed to keep you feet completely dry but you can keep them warm.  This is when the afore mentioned SmartWool socks come in handy.   Yesterday it was in the mid 30s, raining and windy.  With snow melt, I ended up running through a lot of puddles.  My shoes got soaked but my feet stayed warm thanks to the SmartWool socks.  I don't think I'd run so much outside in the winter without them.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

MrH

I presume if you are early in the C25k then you will be doing walk/jog for about 20 minutes.

If the rain (and getting cold) is a concern, I'd suggest a lightweight waterproof jacket or hat.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Imminent Catastrophe

A summer shower is obviously very different from a cold winter rain.  For that I used a waterproof/breathable top (Frogg Toggs) and it was pretty comfortable.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

sluggo

John

I presume if you are early in the C25k then you will be doing walk/jog for about 20 minutes.

If the rain (and getting cold) is a concern, I'd suggest a lightweight waterproof jacket or hat.

I also suspect that you will not be out much more than 20 min. If you are concerned about your feet: a really long time ago I was worried about cold wet feet when running on trails through the snow. I wore cotton socks, with a plastic bag over the socks, and a 2nd pair of cotton socks over the plastic bag. It was a smashing success.

There are really nice socks out now and I don't run on snowy trails anymore but you might try this if you are concerned about your feet getting wet and cold and do not want to run off to the local running store to buy a pair of the great new socks.

And congrats on starting the C25K! The hardest part of running is getting started.

John
                            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Thanks for all the tips! As it turned out the rain came after my run so I avoided it for now but I'm sure it will come  later. Half the battle will be convincing my 4 legged training partner that the rain is not toxic!

Week three starts Monday, so wish me luck!

jfa

Good Luck!