How many half marathons are too much? (Read 859 times)

roadrunnermom

I usually run 2 spring half marathons (March & May), then a fall half. This year, so far, I'm going to attempt a 10-mile race in 2 weeks, then my usual March and May half marathons. However, I just learned there is a half at the end of February that is tempting. I prefer running in cold weather, and would love the opportunity to do a half at a time where it's less likely to be hit with high temps/humidity for a half. However, I don't want to over do it....most things I've read suggest 2 per season, 4 total per year, but not sure if that is just a general statement.

Some background on me. I'm a 40 year old woman (turning 41 in 2 weeks, yikes), I've been running consistently for about 10 years, including marathons in 2006 and 2011, and many half marathons and 5ks. I run about 25 mpw (closer to 30 when HM training) - yes, I know low mileage, but it's what works for me to keep injuries away and I've been able to achieve my half PR on that mileage, plus cross training. Here is a summary of my desired race schedule:

Jan 19 - 10 mile race

Feb 24 - half marathon

March 23 - half marathon

April - short race??

May 18 - half marathon

Thanks for any input and happy new running year!!

an amazing likeness

Undoubtedly someone will come along and give you a specific number or formula....but I don't see how that can be.  It's a completely personal thing based on how your recover, how much the next half on your schedule is a mental toll or motivation, your time, etc.  There are folks here who run 1, 2 or more halfs per month, others who run a pattern like yours and everything in between.

You've got a full month between the Feb and Mar race dates, so I wouldn't expect you'd have trouble being recovered and ready with that schedule. Finding a 10K in April would be a great tempo prep for your May half.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

A full month apart, it should not be a problem.  At worst you lose some training time tapering for and recovering from them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

Because that's more than 13.1.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I say go for it--a half marathon doesn't take nearly as much time to recover from as a full marathon would and there are plenty of people who do halves once a month.  If you're at all worried, pick the one you like best and treat it as a race, and run the other one as a long training run.

Big grin

--- I think the number of halfs in a year depends on the person.  You have people across the spectrum doing all kinds of different numbers of races.  I would say that the most general rule might be to have a month inbetween each one and you'll be fine :-)  --But even I broke this rule a few months ago.  I did the VA Beach RNR Half in September, expecting to get a PR, but the weather/humidity made it a really tough race.  I did the Philly RNR half exactly 2 weeks later and got a PR, even only 2 weeks after that tough Virginia Beach race.

So I think in short, with a long running history like you have, your race schedule looks to be no problem.  Doesn't seem as if you have overloaded it at all. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

an amazing likeness

Nobody can eat 50 eggs or run 14 half marathons in one year....that's crazy talk.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Ask Knifey how many HM's are too much. 58 races of 13.1 miles or more last year. Pretty awesome. Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

roadrunnermom

Oh boy....LOL!!!

roadrunnermom

Thanks, everyone for the replies!! I know people who have run several half marathons in one  month and I have to stress about one per month for 2 months, not fair  Smile  I'm not worried about the training time off, I'm willing to take a few days off after the race and then start right back up.

roadrunnermom

Ask Knifey how many HM's are too much. 58 races of 13.1 miles or more last year. Pretty awesome. Big grin

Wowza!!!!

roadrunnermom

Big grin

So I think in short, with a long running history like you have, your race schedule looks to be no problem.  Doesn't seem as if you have overloaded it at all. :-)

Thanks Smile

dallison

registered pw

As long as you feel good, i would say go for it.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

some call me Tim

roadrunnermom

If I could manage 42 in a lifetime I'd be pretty darn impressed.