Truncated Elevation Profiles (Read 579 times)

Mr E

"Velocitus Delectiblus"

Eric, I am not sure if this is something I am doing incorrectly at my end or not, but I have noticed an issue with a number of the courses I have mapped that begin and end at the same spot. The elevation profile seems to get truncated. This is an example http://www.runningahead.com/maps/cead571e92c4467da9f54b447e9fdfce I would expect a net of 0' ( or very close), but I am seeing a larger differential and the graph seems to stop short of the actual finish. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I really appreciate all you do. This is a great site and it keeps getting better all the time. Keep up the great work.
    eric :)

Mr E, The elevation profile is done by reading the elevation at regular intervals. Right now, it is set at every 200 meters. For a 5k, which is 3.1 miles, the profile will have 25 elevation points (5000m / 200m = 25). This means that up to 199 meters of distance may not be included in the profile, which is what you're seeing. In trying to upgrade the server to house its own elevation data, which has many advantages, one of which is more refrequent readings, which will alleviate much of this problem. eric Smile
      Mr E

"Velocitus Delectiblus"

Thanks Eric.