Altras (Read 303 times)

Jan26.2

Got my shoes last night and wore them around the house for 3+ hours. Didn't want to take them off! Today I'll start the break-in process.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I don't wear Altras but love the idea. They recently posted a pic of an upcoming shoe on their FB page and it looked great!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Also, I've seen HStreet run, and seen lots of photographic evidence of her running...in Altra's, and that babe is made for those shoes.  Her foot strike is what you'd want to have in that shoe.  Not many people will run like that.  So just because it's the right shoe for her, doesn't mean it's going to make you run LIKE her.  Just know that.

Thanks, but I guess everyone can hope they don't become as slow as me in them!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

zonykel

I tried the instinct 1.5 for a 1-mile warm up run. The toe box felt comfortable, as expected. The cushion was a bit much for me. I would not classify this shoe as minimalist. My forefoot felt really warm. I don't know if it's because of the cushioning material or the lack of ventilation. It'll be an interesting experiment running with these shoes. I'll take my time transitioning to them. I'm currently wearing shoes with about a 9 mm drop, so hopefully the shift won't be too big.

adkkev

I have a pair of the Torins ... and while I love the shoes I am a bit disappointed with the quality.  The inside liner on one shoe has already torn (near the heel area) and that's a first for any running shoe I've ever had.  I put a gazzillion miles on my 2 pairs of Brooks Pure Flows & never had any issues like that.  Very disappointed.  I contacted Altra & gave them some feedback about this ...

zonykel

How do you like the Torin's cushioning? It's supposed to have more cushioning than the instinct. The instincts have more than enough cushioning for me.

BTW, I noticed that the finishing quality on the Altras isn't there. I realize they are a relatively new company, but did they have to go low bid on the manufacturer? It's not as though shoe making was invented recently.

I have a pair of the Torins ... and while I love the shoes I am a bit disappointed with the quality.  The inside liner on one shoe has already torn (near the heel area) and that's a first for any running shoe I've ever had.  I put a gazzillion miles on my 2 pairs of Brooks Pure Flows & never had any issues like that.  Very disappointed.  I contacted Altra & gave them some feedback about this ...

adkkev

I like the cushioning on the Torins.  I haven't run in any other Altras so I can't compare.

And, yes, you would think that as a relatively new company attempting to carve out a niche in a pretty crowded market they'd put a high priority on their quality but ...

How do you like the Torin's cushioning? It's supposed to have more cushioning than the instinct. The instincts have more than enough cushioning for me.

BTW, I noticed that the finishing quality on the Altras isn't there. I realize they are a relatively new company, but did they have to go low bid on the manufacturer? It's not as though shoe making was invented recently.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I just bought a pair of Instincts.  The toe box sold me - finally, shoes shaped like my feet!.  As for cushioning, they came with a pair of insoles, probably 3mm, that I probably won't use.  I haven't run in them yet, but will report back when I get a few miles on them.

Not for me, but the Instinct 2.0  is now 50 bucks.

click

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Have been wanting to try a pair of Altras, at this price I might have to pull the trigger.