Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

I'm Betty if you're Al

Great job everyone!  And awesome RR Julia!  I'm sure that champagne tasted mighty fine!

Sorry to be tardy to the party, I've stayed away from RA for a while since my Beantown performance was a big disappoinment.  Had to pull the plug at around mile 15.  It wasn't so much the heat that got me but my dang IT Band.  I've been battling the injury for the entire month of March and my hope was to finish regardless of time, but it just wasn't my day.  I'm proud of myself for recognizing that I should stop though.  If this had happened to me last year at Boston I probably would've continued doing more harm that good.  I'm going to take some time off to rest the legs and do some cross training.  That 3:30 is still a goal for me for 2012, but I think I'm off the Boston Marathon thing for awhile....stupid jacket.

Any suggestions on a good LOW KEY Fall marathon?

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

flauta

Sorry about the IT Band injury - it sounds like you did the right thing. As far as fall marathon recommendation go, I ran the Columbus, Ohio marathon in mid October. I have to confess I chose Columbus because my daughter goes to college near there but I really liked it. Great race - medium size (~6k in marathon / ~11k in half), well-organized, flat and pretty nice course, and a surprisingly fun town.
      Julia1971

I'm proud of myself for recognizing that I should stop though.  If this had happened to me last year at Boston I probably would've continued doing more harm that good.  I'm going to take some time off to rest the legs and do some cross training.  That 3:30 is still a goal for me for 2012, but I think I'm off the Boston Marathon thing for awhile....stupid jacket.

That was very smart.  There was really nothing to prove if you were injured or really feeling red-lined that day.

Also, do not insult the Sweet Jacket of Fire and Fury.  Wink

MAN, am I behind on this thing.

The good news is that I'm recovered more or less in time for my race.

The bad news is that I spent three-fourths of March and most of April recovering from overtraining syndrome.  Went to the doc/athletic trainer (I'm lucky--mine is both), got officially diagnosed and everything else ruled out and all that.  Went from almost 330 miles in February to less than 200 in March, about the same in April.  Dropped off intensity, too.

I learned some valuable lessons about listening to my body even when nothing hurts, per se.  I blame it on being a rookie (still haven't been at this for a year yet).  The look I got when I told my doctor what my February was like...well, it was humbling.

I'm hopeful that setantae really did start a streak.  I also hope the weather reports are wrong even though me and my bald head tend to handle the heat okay. I only hope that if there's anything like a repeat of the Boston Infernotm I can ditch the goals and run as smart in it as all of you did.

I'll be at the Flying Pig.  If any of you are there...look for the bald, beared guy in corral "B."  Blue glasses, "astro blue" singlet, black shorts (with blue!), and white shoes.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

EGH3 -- 16APR2012 -- Boston (Boston MA)  RESULT = DNS 

Just FYI, I'm just seeing this now. I never said I was going to run Boston. I was not registered. I'm running Sugarloaf May 20th. 

MTA: Ah, now i see. 

Sure I'm in. Actually, I'm really stoopid so I'm going to go for a 3:15 (BQ). Been in build-up mode since July after a winter of Plantar Fasciitis mandated bench time. Started back up in late June at 185 lbs. I'm now at 167 and just hit 53 miles last week for my first 50 mile week since September 2010. PRd a 5 mile race (35:20) and a half marathon in October (1:38:10). So I'm nutty to think I can hit 3:15. but I'm dumb enough to try. 

My running club gets Boston #s they award to a couple lucky members. I qualified for the drawing so we'll see within a couple weeks if my name gets drawn from the hat. If I don't, I'll run Sugarloaf in May. 

I plan to hang at 45-50 mile weeks with 1-2 quality workouts for November and December. Plan to follow Pfitzinger with some modifications. I'd also like to break 20 for a 5K and 1:30 for a HM. 

Cheers and happy training. 

But I did not get a Boston bib. 3 men were in the drawing for 2 bibs and I was the unlucky (or lucky, perhaps) one that did not get one. Now Sugarloaf it is just 2 1/2 weeks away. 

hairshirt knitter

The look I got when I told my doctor what my February was like...well, it was humbling.

Ha. You were really stacking the miles up for sure. At least look at it that you have established a good base early in the year :-)

Just FYI, I'm just seeing this now. I never said I was going to run Boston. I was not registered. I'm running Sugarloaf May 20th. 

MTA: Ah, now i see.

Ah, sorry -- I did think your prior post meant you got a bib.  The list has been updated. Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

northernman

Fight The Future

Looks like there are 10 of us trying for May, then none until the fall. How's everybody doing at this point? I'm about 11 days away, and anxiously awaiting the first weather reports (not that they are particularly accurate, but...)

Started my taper today, no injuries to speak of. Main thing I'm worried about is putting on too much weight now that my mileage will be cut. I've worked hard to keep my weight down and I'm hoping it will lead to a faster time. What are people planning to do as far as "carbo-loading". I think I won't overdo it, but will stick to plain starches the last two days, and call that my carbo-load.

I am shooting for a 3:25 at Bayshore Marathon on May 26th.  I ran a 3:41 in Boston so I am hopeful under better conditions I can pull it off.

What are people planning to do as far as "carbo-loading". I think I won't overdo it, but will stick to plain starches the last two days, and call that my carbo-load.

Sounds good. I'm just keeping it simple. I run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and don't feel the need to overdo the carb load. Don't want to get to the start line bloated. I'll have a pasta dinner the night before and likely 48 hours before too. Pop tarts or a plain bagel or something the morning of the race. It's a 7am start and I'm used to running early so good to go. 

Now if i could just get this piriformis to calm down in time for tune-up race this Saturday. Grrrr.

Report will come later, but I graduated this time.  Recovered from the overtraining just in time! Previous PR was a 3:39:35.

Today, ran a 3:28:19.  Woo! New PR by 11 minutes and 16 seconds.

Splits from the Flying Pig's site.  That course is MADE for a negative split; very pleased I held off and went nice and smooth over the early hills.

6.8 Mile:
                        0:56:25 (pace: 8:15 , rank: 586 )
                        Half (13.1 Mile):
                        1:45:20 (pace: 8:03 , rank: 489 )
                        19.7 Mile:
                        2:37:09 (pace: 7:59 , rank: 363 )
                        25.2 Mile:
                        3:20:57 (pace: 7:59 , rank: 268 )
                        Last Half:
                        1:43:00 (pace: 7:52 , rank: 185 )
                        Last Mile:
                        0:07:22 (rank: 127 )
                        net time:
                        3:28:19
                        pace:
                        7:58 (based on net time)

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek

Report will come later, but I graduated this time.  Recovered from the overtraining just in time! Previous PR was a 3:39:35.

Splits from the Flying Pig's site.  That course is MADE for a negative split; very pleased I held off and went nice and smooth over the early hills.

6.8 Mile:
                          Half (13.1 Mile):
                          19.7 Mile:
                          25.2 Mile:
                          Last Half:
                          Last Mile:
                          net time:
                          pace:

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Julia1971

6.8 Mile:
                            Half (13.1 Mile):
                            19.7 Mile:
                            25.2 Mile:
                            Last Half:
                            Last Mile:
                            net time:
                            pace:

Man, a lot of people were hating you.  Smile  Awesome job!  Congratulations!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Man, a lot of people were hating you.  Smile 

Wow, congratulations.  Looks like you were in "passing gear" the whole way.  Nice job.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

northernman

Fight The Future

congraulations rgilbert! Bet that last mile felt pretty good!