advice for dealing with wild life/stray dogs? (Read 969 times)

dallison

registered pw

bear spray will work just fine. It's a much bigger can but it also sprays up to 30-35 feet.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

There are not wolves in Ohio, which means coyote or dog.

Coyotes are small, 30lbs up to 45lbs at most.  A large one would be barely over your knee at the shoulder.  You're really not in any real danger from a single, solitary coyote.

Whether coyote or dog, 99% of the time the best solution is to not act like prey (stopping, waving, and yelling was a good idea).  So is taking a few quick strides in the direction of the animal.  They want weak prey, not strong.  Even with dogs, if they keep following trying to find an opportunity I will keep turning and rushing them until they give up and leave.

I've had a few encounters with the 1% that see such behavior as a challenge and actually become more aggressive because of it.  These have been Rottweilers, Dobermans and I think a G Shepherd once.  Those got scary and I just backed out slowly and went another way.

Spaniel, around here the coyotes get as big as a German Shepherd - plenty of food in the suburbs (and the woods) to keep them fat and healthy, and at the same time they get used to seeing people and don't fear them as much.  Small dogs are now becoming house dogs, because they can't spend any time outside for fear of them becoming the next meal (Martha Stewart famously lost one of her little pups to a coyote a couple years back)

Pepper spray use on animals reportedly has mixed results, even at the "bear" strength concentrations you can find in camping / hunting supply stores.  It will work fine for a human attacker, if you get them in the face, but for an animal such as a coyote or dog (fox, raccoon, turkey etc), you might be disappointed.  Making yourself appear like you are not prey is the best idea - which includes NOT running.  And your best weapon other than a firearm is going to be a thick branch you can swing and jab with, and carry - maybe a couple of feet long? It's also something that you can shove in a coyote's or dog's mouth should they lunge for your throat.

A couple weeks ago, on a midday run through the business park, I had a run-in with ... two wild turkeys!  They've been hanging around for a few weeks and becoming increasing aggressive.  Not turning my back on them, standing tall, running at them, shouting/roaring -- nothing worked.  In fact, I could see they were slowly closing the gap to me.  An approaching car saved me (we were in the middle of the road, as I was trying to reach the trees at roadside in hopes of finding a stick).

I'm getting pepper spray.  And cranberry sauce.

I'm betting a few runners here have had run-ins with the Wild Turkey. Smile

I don't know, it's a Rare Breed.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

There are not wolves in Ohio, which means coyote or dog.

Coyotes are small, 30lbs up to 45lbs at most.  A large one would be barely over your knee at the shoulder.  You're really not in any real danger from a single, solitary coyote.

Well, probably. But eastern coyotes (found in Eastern Canada, New England, NY and PA) are hybrids of wolves and coyotes and and are larger than western coyotes. A lot of the males are over 50 lbs. Its conceivable that they have moved into Ohio.

Still attacks on humans are rare. I see them fairly often and have never felt threatened. I had one follow me for a little while in the early morning once--it was moving through yards stopping every once in a while to keep an eye on me, but never got any closer than 50 yards. I felt like it was more afraid of me than I was of it.

I'm way more afraid of some moron's Roteweiler or German Shepard...or minivan.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Well, probably. But eastern coyotes (found in Eastern Canada, New England, NY and PA) are hybrids of wolves and coyotes and and are larger than western coyotes. A lot of the males are over 50 lbs. Its conceivable that they have moved into Ohio.

True, eastern coyotes are larger than western ones.  Partly genetic, partly food supply and environmental.

However, midwestern coyotes are generally not hybrids with wolves.  That may be more prevalent in areas like Canada/Maine/Minnesota where their ranges overlap with wolves, but not in the Ohio valley and lower midwest.

I come in direct contact with a lot of coyotes in Indiana each year, some of which come out on the short end of the encounter.  I have yet to find one that weighs 50 lbs or appears unusually large.

Not that one does not exist, but stray dogs are much more of a threat.  I take out the coyotes because either a) they are on the farm I hunt and they are extremely over-populated there, or b) they are found lurking around my backyard near where my small children play...and coyotes are a threat to small children.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've seen coyotes while out running, but they have never tried to mess with myself or my dog, even on the long, long stretches of empty country farm roads I often run.

I have been chased by:

• A golden retriever.
                • At least a half-dozen Jack Russells, separate occasions.
                • Tons of chihuahuas.  Once, four swarmed upon me together.  I hate those neighbors.
                • A three-legged beagle.  Him, I felt bad enough for to lead him to the vet's office, where his owner conveniently was.
                • Two mutts.
                • One Saint Bernard

Every time, the stop-in-place, defiant glare, and shouting to go home has worked.  The Saint Bernard was attached to its owner.  My dog and I were doing our cool down.  It dragged her out of the yard and was just barreling over to us.  She was apologizing, both hands around the thing's neck, and she was totally unable to control it.  I stopped running for fear it'd drag her ass after us.  We turned and walked the other way--it was still dragging her until her husband finally took notice and came outside to help.

It's not dogs that bug me--it's people who can't or won't control their dogs that do.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

I've asked this question in another kind of forum, and the general response was the "SSS" method (shoot, shovel, shut-up). The dogs were killing our chickens though, lol. Now, those dogs chase me when I run by.

The more I read, the more I am carrying when I run. I'm going to be doing my short little runs with a backpack full of gear at this rate. I read through all the dog threads and I've bookmarked a mace spray on Amazon. We have coyotes around here, bobcats, foxes, and the most terrifying one of all- the opossum.

Let me just say, you are much wiser to use spray than a firearm when running.  If you discharge a firearm in a municipality, you will likely be charged.  You will also be liable for wherever that bullet ends up if you miss.  I've got a permit and carry often, but unless someone's life was in real, imminent danger (ie large dog and real attack in progress) I would never think to resort to that.  We had a case locally where 2 loose pit bulls attacked a kid in a park and they were shot, but in all my dog encounters I can't think of one where I would have resorted to shooting....but I can think of a few where pepper spray would have been nice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I'm out at 4 am also and my weekday runs are in residential areas and along a bike path near the homes.  I've run into dogs, coyotes, and raccoons which seem like everyday now.  The raccoons scare me more than the dogs or coyotes.  The coyotes have always been more scared of me and usually run off.  None of the dogs have been vicious but I did have one chase me once.  I turned a corner and the dog kept running straight.  The raccoons though aren't scared of anything.  I almost ran into one that was drinking water from the gutter.  It got on it's two back paws, stood straight up, and started making crazy sounds at me.  Yeah, I turned around and went the other way.  Yesterday morning as I was down a residential street I saw this pretty big thing crossing the road.  I was thinking, "damn, that's a fat cat".  Got closer and saw it was a big raccoon.  Went right up to somebody's front door and was lurking around.   With all that said, I've been carrying pepper spray and never had to use it yet.

joescott

Where I run my long runs out in the country I have the occasional dog incident.  I have always had success with turning and facing the dog and being as assertive and "alpha" as possible.  On one occasion I picked up a handful of road gravel and pelted the dog with it and that was enough to run him off.  In my latest encounter, this past fall, it was fortunate that the stupid owner finally came out to take control of his animal because the dog and I were in a standoff.  Every time I turned to run, he started to come after me again, but fortunately every time I turned and faced him and yelled at him it was enough to stop him.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kcam

Usually just stooping to the ground and picking up a rock will do the trick.  Most of the time you don't have to actually throw it - dogs that run loose know what it means when a person picks up a rock!  Heck, even if there are no rocks around just act like you picked one up and cock your arm back .... they'll git.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Back in college I had a few run-ins with Wild Turkey.  Crunked me up good.

dennrunner

A couple weeks ago, on a midday run through the business park, I had a run-in with ... two wild turkeys!  They've been hanging around for a few weeks and becoming increasing aggressive.  Not turning my back on them, standing tall, running at them, shouting/roaring -- nothing worked.  In fact, I could see they were slowly closing the gap to me.  An approaching car saved me (we were in the middle of the road, as I was trying to reach the trees at roadside in hopes of finding a stick).

I'm getting pepper spray.  And cranberry sauce.

I laughed.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

With Pepper Spray the spray distance is a big factor.  At a 9 min/mile pace you are covering almost 10 feet per second of ground.  Many of the smaller handhelds have a range of maybe 15 feet.  Expect to get sprayed yourself if you decide to use it.

As with any weapon, know how to use it as well.  Don't just buy 1 canister buy several canisters so you can practice using it on the move.  Police will train with it where they have to take down a subject AFTER they were hit with the OC spray.

A lot of times this conversation will turn to running with a gun for protection but once again know how to use it.  Using any weapon while stationary is totally different than using it at a moving target while you yourself are moving.  Know how to use what ever you decide to carry and practice with it.

Feeling the growl again

Usually just stooping to the ground and picking up a rock will do the trick.  Most of the time you don't have to actually throw it - dogs that run loose know what it means when a person picks up a rock!  Heck, even if there are no rocks around just act like you picked one up and cock your arm back .... they'll git.

I stopped one of the more scary incidents...with a pair of Dobermans...by leveling one of them with a well-placed osage orange.  Dang near threw out my shoulder hurling that thing.

A handful of gravel is pretty effective.  Sometime you just need to snap them out of attack mode and they will overcome instinct, engage their brain, and break off.