Was this Jeopardy answer wrong? (Read 273 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, that's right. Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mysecondnewname

Badly misspelled...?

Suck it, Trebek!

To me, there are two issues:  1) Was the answer the contestant gave correct?  and 2) Did Trebek deal with the contestant in a gracious manner?

No, to the first question IF Jeopardy rules state final Jeopardy answers need to be spelled correctly (or at least phonetically correctly).  Sounds cruel I know, but I think a lot would agree, you didn't break 3:30 if you ran a 3:30:01.  Rules are, as they say, rules.

No, to the second question:  Trebek should have been far more gracious, IMHO.

Birdwell

Everyone gets a medal because we're all special snowflakes.

Life isn't "fair" kid, get a helmet.

+1

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sounds cruel I know, but I think a lot would agree, you didn't break 3:30 if you ran a 3:30:01.

Boston use to say you did. Then they became cruelly pedantic.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

Someday one of us will refuse to give up a seat for this kid and he'll miss 90 minutes of snuggle time with his wife that nearly 1 in 2 odds say he'll divorce anyway.

Someday one of us will refuse to give up a seat for this kid and he'll miss 90 minutes of snuggle time with his wife that nearly 1 in 2 odds say he'll divorce anyway.

nice way to combine multiple threads into one witty response. I like it.

xhristopher

nice way to combine multiple threads into one witty response. I like it.

INCONCEIVABLE!

INCONCEIVTABLE!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I also believe the rules on spelling are a little tighter in Final Jeopardy than in the earlier rounds. The judges might have accepted the misspelled question in the Jeopardy or Double Jeopardy round. This is by no means the first time a misspelling in Final Jeopardy has been ruled incorrect. The only reason I can see that it has become an issue is because it was in a Kids Game. In this case it also had no impact on the final result or the amount of the winnings since second place gets $2,000 regardless of his final total.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

beat

Break on through

INCONCEIVTABLE!

I do not think that word is spelled the way you think it is.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

delicate flower

"Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation!?"

"I don't listen to hip-hop."

<3

Hip Redux

Everyone gets a medal because we're all special snowflakes.

The kid is from Newtown, CT.  Pretty sure he knows life ain't fair.

I also believe the rules on spelling are a little tighter in Final Jeopardy than in the earlier rounds. The judges might have accepted the misspelled question in the Jeopardy or Double Jeopardy round. This is by no means the first time a misspelling in Final Jeopardy has been ruled incorrect. The only reason I can see that it has become an issue is because it was in a Kids Game. In this case it also had no impact on the final result or the amount of the winnings since second place gets $2,000 regardless of his final total.

Um, the difference is you don't actually spell anything in the earlier rounds.

I have seen misspelled FJ responses accepted, so as someone else indicated, maybe the rule is they give credit if it is phonetically accurate.

And I'll take Famous Titties for 200 please Alex.

Dave