5K with no warmup? (Read 420 times)

bjoiner

Hey all you experts,

So here's my predicament.  I'm running the Disneyland 5K next weekend.  Disney's 5K races have wave starts, but they are not sorted by pace.  Last time I ran this race, I did my warm up close to the start of the race. When I went to squeeze in the first wave, I was told that it was full and that I would have to be in wave 2 (OK, I get it from an organizational point of view.)  The problem is, there were a lot of walkers in wave 1 so after the wave 2 gun went off, we quickly ran into a wall of people.

I've decided to make sure to get to this year's race early so that I don't have the same issue, but I think this means I'm either going to have to do a warm up super early - or not at all.  We're also running into a bit of a cold spell (for California at least) and the race is at 5:45 in the morning.  So I'm a little worried about staying warm until the gun.

Any thoughts?  Should I skip the warmup?  Do it early?  Nervously do jumping jacks while waiting for the start?

As always, thanks for any advice.

HermosaBoy

I would do an easier warm-up as close to the time you need to jump into the corrals as possible.  Then, just try to keep moving.  If you can get to the front and try to do a couple of stride outs onto the course just before the start and then drop back in -- that would be good as well.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

A Saucy Wench

run a Disney race for fun and find a smaller 5K to race?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

bjoiner

Yep, this is just a "for fun" race.

Kjoiner

I would do an easier warm-up as close to the time you need to jump into the corrals as possible.  Then, just try to keep moving.  If you can get to the front and try to do a couple of stride outs onto the course just before the start and then drop back in -- that would be good as well.

Thanks Hermosaboy,  This sounds like a good plan.  Your profile photo makes me feel better about the temperature too.

bjoiner

Oops.  Logged in as my sister and didn't realize it.

HermosaBoy

Yeah, the profile photo was -9 actual temperature...

ETA -- Ennay's advice is good too.  From what I can see -- this event is not really designed for racing.  It's more of an event.  Do they even have official results?

Rob

HermosaBoy

bjoiner -- How'd it go?

Rob

J-L-C

I've found that if I've already run that day, I don't really even need a warmup for the second run. On one or two occasions I ran in the early am on race day because I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to warm up before the actual race (it was dependent on tight bus or train schedules) and I came through just fine despite not actually doing a proper warm up right before the race.

So even if you "warm up" an hour before the race starts, it'll still probably help.

If it's really cold, doing everything you can to stay warm (not shivering or anything) will probably be the most beneficial thing you can do at that point. A trash bag or something over the torso, newspapers up the shirt, whatever is feasible.

drrbradford

+1

Or wear a lot of old sweats that you can discard. You won't get the neuromuscular advantage of a traditional warmup but your muscles will be loose.