1st marathon also - Honolulu Marathon (Read 911 times)

Prophet!

I also finished my first marathon today, the Honolulu Marathon...although it felt more like Tokyo Marathon. Things didn't go so smoothly. Since it is my first one my main goal is to finish alive...and come in under 5 hours. The start was good despite the large number of people (28000+)...we were treated to great fireworks show..the early start (5 AM) was hard as we had to get up at 2 AM to get ready. We also had left our son at a friend's house, which was the first time he's away from us all night and day...which was hard. Started slow and a good pace and felt really good the first 6 miles. Then the legs starts to feel heavy which i never experienced before that early in my long training runs. Then I missed one of the time that I had planned to take gel at around mile 13 and by mile 18 i hit the wall..having read about it and prepared myself mentally i pushed on through by alternating walking and running. My legs were cramping and my toes were also cramping which I never had happened to me before so didn’t know what to do about it. The ankle didn’t quite hold up so well, I guess it didn’t quite heal up good from my sprain. I had given up on finishing under 5 hours and focused on finishing. But by mile 23 I realized that I had the chance to go under 5 hours so I tried really hard but missed it by 8 minutes, for a chip time of 5:08:31 for a snail-pace of 11:47. I got a little boost towards the finish line when this guy bumped me with his shoulders trying to get pass me, which made me a little ticked off and I sprinted off and beat him to the finish line… All and all a good first marathon, lots of things to work on for next years, better race strategy most importantly. I’m just really proud at this achievement, I’ve lost 40 pounds since May and going from barely able to run 2 miles to finishing a marathon. Aloha, Steve… P.S: Mrs. PhatRunner also did her first marathon but she had a fantastic run, coming in at 4 hours and 21 minutes…all with using only 1 gel..the woman is amazing. It was nice to see her at the finish line.
      Congratulations to both you and your wife! It is amazing how the mind works. If the guy bumped you in the shoulder at the mile 18 would you even notice the wall? Big grin You did great! I think running a marathon is less about finishing time, more about overcoming aches and pains. The stories you will have to tell your son. That's what really counts. Ewa
      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I’m just really proud at this achievement, I’ve lost 40 pounds since May and going from barely able to run 2 miles to finishing a marathon. Aloha, Steve… P.S: Mrs. PhatRunner also did her first marathon but she had a fantastic run, coming in at 4 hours and 21 minutes…all with using only 1 gel..the woman is amazing. It was nice to see her at the finish line.
        And you SHOULD be proud--that is an astounding achievement in such a short time! Your wife is amazing, too! What great examples you set for your kids. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations to both of you. A 40 lbs loss & a marathon in the same year? That's an amazing accomplishment.
          JakeKnight

You started in May? As in, THIS May? Wow. Not to repeat myself, but I have a limited vocabulary, so ... out-freakin'-standing! A suggestion: now that you've done a mega-marathon, for your next one, consider looking for a small one. Am I right that there is at least one small one on one of the islands? My first was Chicago, but I didn't fall in love with running until I ran a small one. The huge ones are fun, but all that hassle (you got up at TWO?), and the crowds, and all that ... well, after running Trent's little 100 person marathon, I may never do a big one again. (Although I'd make an exception for Honolulu, thats for sure!) So ... what IS next? Got a plan?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Well done, Steve! Great job pushing through to the end. Sounds as if you are taking away a number of "lessons learned" for your next marathon.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Well done Mr. and Mrs. phat_runner! That is phat! It sucks to have your legs cramp up when you still got gas in the tank but all it mattered is you looked better than the guy behind you Smile

Prophet!

You started in May? As in, THIS May? Wow. Not to repeat myself, but I have a limited vocabulary, so ... out-freakin'-standing! A suggestion: now that you've done a mega-marathon, for your next one, consider looking for a small one. Am I right that there is at least one small one on one of the islands? So ... what IS next? Got a plan?
                  I've ran very inconsistently from the end of last year till February for a race that was for fun, but not until this May that i made a promise to keep it up and be more consistent. Not so coincidentally its about the same time that i start lurking in RA and start logging my runs here...if it weren't for this site and all you guys/gals with all the good info and good encouragements and helpful tips i couldn't have done it. The plan is to sign up for Maui marathon in September which is a much smaller , but also signed up for Honolulu Marathon as a backup (it only cost $15 if i sign up for HM in January). There's also a marathon on the Big Island in March, which i might sign up for in 2008 if I do the Maui marathon. Can't wait to see how it will be with a much better base before the marathon training.
                    Well done, Phat Runner!!! Nice that we did our firsts the same weekend...yay us!!! Keep up the great work! You should be proud!!!
                    If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                    derek

I’m just really proud at this achievement, I’ve lost 40 pounds since May and going from barely able to run 2 miles to finishing a marathon. .
                      You should be proud. That's great! I started my weight loss and running just 1-2 months after you, but there is no way I would even consider a marathon so soon.

Derek

Now that was a bath...

Well done! A big pat on the back for getting number one under your belt and already making plans for the next one. You've made such a huge amount of progress in such a short time! Claire xxx
                      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Whoot! (sorry I'm late) Blush

Roads were made for journeys...

You'll ruin your knees!

I'd like to offer my post-vacation belated WHOOT!@ Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Awesome job! Big grin
                              2009: BQ?
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have said this before. I will say it again: Oh no. Not again. Not another poor soul. I am so sorry. Sooooo sorry indeed. Folks, another one has fallen. A good man is gone. Another fine upstanding citizen has fallen to marathoning. It seems he is addicted. And he already has admitted to it. Next thing you know, Norm will be running 8 'thons in 2008, or some foolish thing like that. Sheesh. Sheesh indeed. Steve. I am terribly sorry. Wink Big grin Cool