A Brag on a Friend (Read 1059 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have a friend who had an amazing accomplishment last Sunday.  She is 44, almost 45.  She has FOUR kids who are 3, 11, 15, and 19.  She used to run a lot, but had to take off a few years.  She holds down two jobs.  She's been running consistently again for a couple of years.

So she ran her very first marathon,  the Maine Marathon, on Sunday.  She's a nice person, but a little scatterbrained.  She forgot to bring her WATCH to the race!  She decided to run with a group of younger, faster friends.  She decided to stay up with them until she got too tired.  Well, she never got tired!  She maintained a rough 8:00 pace and finished in 3:30:08!!!  She felt fine at the end. So she qualified as a 45-year-old woman for Boston, and almost would have qualified as a man!  It's unbelievable to me.  When I asked, she said she wasn't sure if she'd run Boston, and I told her she'd better! 

xor

Well, depending on how close to 45 she is, she beat 3:30:59, so maybe she did qualify as a man.

That's very cool.  Always great to be able to "run until you get tired" and not have that actually get you.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

she said she wasn't sure if she'd run Boston, and I told her she'd better! 

Let her know for all of us still fighting to BQ it hurts" for her not to be sure".

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

RunsForCake

Wow!  That is one helluva an accomplishment!  Congrats to your pal for truly being a Super Woman! 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My congratulations to her, as a late-in-life runner.  I'm of the "don't need no stinkin' gadgets as I run" philosophy.
            runnerclay

Consistently Slow

as a late-in-life runner.  I'm of the "don't need no stinkin' gadgets as I run" philosophy.

After getting lost in "English is not my language country" I quickly gave up that philosophy  .

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

She maintained a rough 8:00 pace and finished in 3:30:08!!!  She felt fine at the end. So she qualified as a 45-year-old woman for Boston, and almost would have qualified as a man!  It's unbelievable to me.  When I asked, she said she wasn't sure if she'd run Boston, and I told her she'd better! 

Thanks for sharing Teresa, and tell her congratulations from all of your RA friends.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

lukeg

My friend and assistant coach just ran chicago in 3:07!!! SHE would have qualified for her age group  for the men!!!
                  5k - 15:55 8k - 26:46 10k - 33:09
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for sharing Teresa, and tell her congratulations from all of your RA friends.

Larry

I told her!  She was very surprised.  My husband and I told her again that she'd better run Boston!

Luke, congrats to your friend, too!  Wow. 

My friend and assistant coach just ran chicago in 3:07!!! SHE would have qualified for her age group  for the men!!!

Actually that's an open qualifier time, if you run 26.2 in 3:10:59 or less you have punched your ticket to Hopkinton (assuming registration hasn't closed) regardless of your age or gender.  That's a great run.

Teresa, your friend could qualify as a 45 year old male if her 45th birthday is before April 19th, 2010.  Your qualifying age is your age on Patriots Day, not your age when you run your qualifying time.  Another great run!

http://baa.org/BostonMarathon/114thMarathon.asp

2010 QUALIFYING STANDARDS
                      Age Group Men Women
                      18-34 3hrs 10min 3hrs 40min
                      35-39 3hrs 15min 3hrs 45min
                      40-44 3hrs 20min 3hrs 50min
                      45-49 3hrs 30min 4hrs 00min
                      50-54 3hrs 35min 4hrs 05min
                      55-59 3hrs 45min 4hrs 15min
                      60-64 4hrs 00min 4hrs 30min
                      65-69 4hrs 15min 4hrs 45min
                      70-74 4hrs 30min 5hrs 00min
                      75-79 4hrs 45min 5hrs 15min
                      80 and older 5hrs 00min 5hrs 30min0

MTA:  It's a GREAT day in the running world, hard to imagine qualifying then not running it.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.