40 year old , loses virginity (Read 973 times)

Go Pre!

So, I am forty and a day. This morning, I get up, feeling good, knee feeling better than ever, and look forward to doing a nice 10K tempo run. It all goes well, knocking off relative easy 4:40-4:45 K's until the beginning of the 7th K, when I lose my virginity. Yes, MY FIRST DOG ATTACK! I live in a very heavily populated dog area of Toronto, and never even had a scare. This morning as I am running along, I feel a nip from behind then a brush at my side and I realize a BIG, BLACK monster (Doberman) is nipping at me. I stopped abruptly and proceeded to use my sore ITBS inflamed knee as the brake! ouch. The dog is full on angry, teeth showing not playful, and he grabs my ankle in his jaw. As an animal lover, I did not want to boot him and as I would up with my free leg, his owner (who was slowly limping in his way over, knee in a brace!!!) caught up and I held off for a few more seconds and thankfully got away unbitten. The guy was sorry but I reamed him for letting his dog get loose. I started off again and couldn't run. I couldn't even walk! I limped home, about a KM and a half. Thank fully I was doing a double loop around my neighborhood otherwise I may have been more like 4K away! So now, I will have to rest the knee again. We'll see how bad it is over the weekend. I have only one word running through my head today and it rhymes with Truck!
      Are you covered by a 40 year manufacturer's warranty by any chance? That really sucks. I've only had one near-bite encounter, and it was with a pretty small ankle biter. I didn't care, I had no interest in having my ankle bitten. The guy was trimming his hedges and paying no attention whatsoever, I told him as nicely as I could that if it happened again I would not hesitate to kick his dog away. As a responsible dog owner I have zero tolerance for those that aren't. I hope you can shake off the effects quickly.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

That is horrible!! I hope you recover quickly and that you truly gave the owner a few words to think about!

Michelle

That really sucks, Dave and I hope you don't suffer any long term effects.
          I have only one word running through my head today and it rhymes with Truck!
          I have two more words that would run through my head and they rhyme with gun and euthanasia. Oh wait.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

rhyme[s] with gun and euthanasia.
            Fun with a geisha? Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Fun with a geisha? Clowning around
              "Run (away, dog) or I'll mace ya'!" Stupid dog. I've been so lucky. Haven't yet had a run-in with any dog who didn't just want to come along. Dave, I hope that knee is better really soon. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

Next time...
                  Rule of thumb with dogs: 1. give a firm "no" and "go home" 2. If #1 does not work and you are running with other runners... simply outrun the slowest guy. 3. If #1 does not work and you are running alone .....KICK THAT SOB!! Dog lover or not, if he's trying to bite you he's not a human lover so KICK HIM...... HARD! If the dog owner gets mad, run after him and try to bite him >> then see what he does. Yes
                  Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
                    . I started off again and couldn't run. I couldn't even walk! I limped home, about a KM and a half. Thank fully I was doing a double loop around my neighborhood otherwise I may have been more like 4K away! So now, I will have to rest the knee again. !
                    Hope your knee is ok and hope it was just the delayed shock that sent you limping home. I know when I had a german shep grab my elbow (he barely broke the skin partly due to long sleeve sweatshirt), I tried to go on too and couldn't. The ower which I knew had to drive me home AFTER the dog was penned back up. Can't believe how shakey I got. So hope you are better tomorrow.

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

So now, I will have to rest the knee again. We'll see how bad it is over the weekend. I have only one word running through my head today and it rhymes with Truck!
                      Sorry to hear that. So when you got nipped the dog didn't break the skin at all? If you did you probably want to make sure you are up to date on your shots. Either way, some ibuprofen and ice are called for for the knee. This wouldn't have helped you since you didn't know the dog was there until after it attacked you, but last week I wrote an article about getting chased by dogs and what to do: http://news.runtowin.com/2007/09/26/what-do-you-do-if-a-dog-wants-to-chase-you.html

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Daddyo! I am really sorry about your knee. Coming from North Europe, I was surprised to see how relaxed dogowners are over here. Bylaws and signs are totally neglected. Today it was you, tomorrow it could be mine our someone elses kids. Press charges against the owner. Do whatever it takes to get the dog and/or the owner off the streets. Sorry but I do not love dogs. I find them to be nothing more than a pest and danger in a big city. I do not how many times my kids have run over to an unleashed unknown dog, so far we have been lucky. If a dog hurts people it should be put down! I hope the knee gets better and that it will not be an issue in Ohio!!! (I will stay away from Leaside) Arne
                        Goals 2008 1: BQ/PB <3:30:59 done feb 17th bq 3:27 2: half ironman done aug 10 3: 2 or more m. done feb 17th and boston april 22. 4: sprint tri done july 5 goals 2009 1: the norseman done="" feb="" 17th="" bq="" 3:27="" 2:="" half="" ironman="" done="" aug="" 10="" 3:="" 2="" or="" more="" m.="" done="" feb="" 17th="" and="" boston="" april="" 22.="" 4:="" sprint="" tri="" done="" july="" 5="" goals="" 2009="" 1:="" the=""></3:30:59 done feb 17th bq 3:27 2: half ironman done aug 10 3: 2 or more m. done feb 17th and boston april 22. 4: sprint tri done july 5 goals 2009 1: the norseman>

Go Pre!

Thanks Arne, and everyone for your concern. It is laughable now but definately not fun and quite the concern. As for my knee, it was bad all day. My IT band has been tight and the knee has been inflammed a lot lately. I did 5 different ice sessions at work and kept off it. Finally around 4PM it eased up. Now it feels almost as good as it did in the morning. Hell, I may even run tomorrow!

Another Passion

Sorry to hear about your run-in. Hope the knee's ok, Daddyo!

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

whoa, sorry about your experience, daddyo! i do love dogs, and i do love dobes, but i don't like dogs or dobes on the loose-- dobermans especially can be very territorially protective and therefore aggressive to people who pass their homes (mine was, too-- so no front yard for her!). while i'm not going to comment about having that dog put down, i do agree w/ arne-- press charges, hold the owner accountable.
                                wow, that really sucks... I havn't had a run in with a dog in quite a few years.. not since my College days when i would roller blade from 2am-4am after i got off work and finished up my homework... I got attacked by a huge Rott that was a little over 150lbs.. luckily for me, he just latched on to my skate, but it was the 20-30 foot drag back towards the house that hurt... the owner came running out pretty fast to call it off.. the dog, snapped a small rope and blew right threw the shock perimeter.. the owner said he just got his shots earlier that day and was very moody... i never skated down that road again.. lol hope your knee recovers fast!