Would you cheat? (Read 349 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

2004 Gatlin actually banned

2000 Greene has unquestioned links

1996 Bailey may actually have a shot, there were only 3  convicted dopers in the final that year

1992 Christie - banned

1998/84 Lewis - tested positive but not banned (pre-WADA it was US athletics who decided on the bans)

1980 Alan Wells - worked with a coach who had other althletes (including his relay teammates) admit to blood doping, but that wasn't against the rules at the time.

Only one man has ever run under 9.79 and not been convicted of a drugs offense at some point in their career.

No final since 1980 has had people racing not suspended for doping at some point in their career.

Its not me that made my mind up that sprinters dope. Its the preponderance of evidence* that shows us this is the case.

*and thats despite the lousy testing regimes and politics involved.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

catwhoorg

Labrat

Or put into inforgraphics from

http://www.newstalk.com/toprunners

And lets not forget Carter was just stripped of the 2008 relay gold (and the rest of the team) for a positive test, though a stimulant not a steroid.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks. Not trying to be argumentative, but hope we don't presume guilty until proven innocent.

Or put into inforgraphics from

http://www.newstalk.com/toprunners

And lets not forget Carter was just stripped of the 2008 relay gold (and the rest of the team) for a positive test, though a stimulant not a steroid.

Wow! Thanks for sharing.  That chart is just shocking. I mean, I want to be shocked but I think we all have our doubts. I have to agree with LedLincoln (and many other people on here)  - that we should assume innocence until proven guilty. With that, we have to assume that Bolt is clean. Of course we can be suspicious for a lot of reasons such as:

• the overwhelming amount of world class 100m sprinters who have been caught doping
          • the recent Jamaican doping scandals
          • the fact that the entire Jamaica anti-doping board resigned in 2013
          • Usain Bolt's rather infrequent racing (which he contributes to his having scoliosis and peaking for major races)
          • Finally, with Usain Bolt being one of the last clean champions, there is a lot of speculation about how invested the World Anti-Doping Agency and governing track and field organizations are in keeping his image clean to protect the sport.

Of course, everything here is circumstantial evidence at best and until the test comes back positive, Usain Bolt is a clean champion... to me anyway

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Sometimes when I'm in a cynical mood, I think "screw it.  Legalize it all -- lets see how fast they can go."

Of course, you might get results like the SNL Steroid Olympics:

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

DoppleBock

Depends on what they made illegal

If they make caffeine illegal I would cheat in training, but not in a race.  I love coffee too much.

All I have to say - If you really care about cheating - Join the USAT&F and use their service to check out stuff that you are consuming.  Have an inhaler ... does it pass.  Take steroids for shingles ... would you pass

98% - 99% of all cheating is puposeful ... but some is accidental

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Sometimes when I'm in a cynical mood, I think "screw it.  Legalize it all -- lets see how fast they can go."

Of course, you might get results like the SNL Steroid Olympics:

Well, a level playing field can be leveled in various ways.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Depends on what they made illegal

If they make caffeine illegal I would cheat in training, but not in a race.  I love coffee too much.

All I have to say - If you really care about cheating - Join the USAT&F and use their service to check out stuff that you are consuming.  Have an inhaler ... does it pass.  Take steroids for shingles ... would you pass

I actually think I'm immune to caffeine now Sad

spinach

If you were an elite athlete and you knew that everyone else was doing it.

It is easy to say no since I am not an Elite.Although if it was the situation like cycling had in the past where virtually every one was cheating then it would be very difficult for a professional athlete not to. That was the norm for the professionals and so it was easy for the professionals to join in without thinking they were doing anything wrong.

DoppleBock

Body building has "Life Time Clean" events.  Hundreds of thousands of non-professional body builders cheat every day.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Dream Maker

Body building has "Life Time Clean" events.  Hundreds of thousands of non-professional body builders cheat every day.

Body building is so interesting because it seems so wink wink nudge nudge with the clean events and the "clean" events- and the bodies, especially the female bodies, of the competitors look so different

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Interesting ... I checked the USATF site and found that a medication I take for high blood pressure (Valsartan/HTCZ) is prohibited. It's listed as a "Diuretic and Masking Agent" so presumably the medication itself does not provide an advantage but it can be used to mask the use of other performance enhancing substances. So am I going to stop taking it? No. Do I consider myself a cheater? No. I am taking the medication under a doctor's supervision to control high blood pressure. It looks like I could apply for Therapeutic Use Exemption, but should I bother?

I also found that using Advil Cold and Sinus medication (containing Pseudoephedrine) is prohibited under certain concentration conditions and is more likely to be considered prohibited if taken with a diuretic such as my blood pressure medication. So if I have bad cold, can I take a decongestant to run a local 5K or should I skip it all together?

I am certainly not a pro, but I often place in my age group in local races. I have never thought of myself as a cheater, but maybe USATF would think differently.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Body building is so interesting because it seems so wink wink nudge nudge with the clean events and the "clean" events- and the bodies, especially the female bodies, of the competitors look so different

I'm 46, I've always been involved in sport and my main sport from age 6 to 20 was gymnastics, then it moved to hockey (UK, so on a field, not ice). Then running and tri through my 30's to the present date. I need to be competitive and if I'm honest, I only want to compete in sports where I can win stuff (shamelessly extrinsically motivated).

A friend on Facebook who I went to university with and haven't seen for years, has got into natural bodybuilding. It's not the look that many go for but I must admit that I'm fascinated by the obsession/dedication/discipline that it must take to win (and she is winning) competitions in that sport.

I went off on a tangent there, but I found your post particularly interesting because body building must be one of the sports where the pressure to chemically aid your progression, is VERY strong.

Bobthebuilder

Well, I tell myself I wouldn't. But who know what would happen when the chips are down Smile