Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mick I'm actually a lot be ashamed I didn't walk over to Kaci and get a photo. I kind of developed a crush on her with how positive she is, how nice she seems, and how amazingly talented she seems to be. I swear, even when she's suffering she's probably happy on the outside.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - good luck with the vaccine. Are you getting Pfizer or Moderna? Seems like Moderna has a bigger after effect.

I got Moderna (got it yesterday).  Arm is a little sore and that's about it.  Felt exactly like the flu shot.  I had a headache yesterday afternoon, but I think that was from work not the vaccine.   My hunch is that the next shot will be the bad one.  Seems to be how it plays out for most.

Getting vaccinated was this very organized procedure where I showed up at my allotted time, and was directed by volunteers to check in at one table, and from there to another table, and from there to another table, before ending up in the chair where I got my shot.

It all felt familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  And then I realized....it felt exactly like bib pick-up at a large race.  Y'know - go to this table to get your number, then this table to get your bag, then this table to get your shirt, and then out via the shopping/shotting.  If races made you sit for 15-30 minutes after you buy stuff at the expo, it would be just about exact.

I'm kinda ticked they didn't give me a t-shirt.  Or at least a sticker.  OTOH, I didn't pay anything for the experience, so....

Marky_Mark - I'm sorry the cold is still lingering.

Piwi - I misread your post at first as "my brother just collapsed .... he had a vaccinated lung...." and was horrified.  I'm very glad I misread it!

Brewing - you are too generous to me - for the record I am not an elite runner.  I do occasionally qualify for the elite field in smaller races when they have an adjusted standard for older runners (they do that sometimes in the US) but not quite the same thing.  And in the post-Covid era, with races struggling, they can't be as generous as they used to be (I do not fault them at all for this)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Darkwave thanks for letting us know your experience.

My brother had tuberculosis when he was younger so probably caused issues later.

Mick the first I knew of the earthquake was after I woke up and my daughter in Christchurch had messaged that she felt it.

Surprised I didn't get a civil defense text.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mick I'm actually a lot be ashamed I didn't walk over to Kaci and get a photo. I kind of developed a crush on her with how positive she is, how nice she seems, and how amazingly talented she seems to be. I swear, even when she's suffering she's probably happy on the outside.

RP: Yes absolutely, she is my all time favourite, although has been having a harder time lately. They all seem to be really nice and constantly smiling, laughing, friendly: Sally M, Kaci L, Courtney D. No picture means you have to go back to crew for some of your friends in order to get that! On the men's side, I am a Zach Miller fan. No chance for Jim Walmsley, Anton Kropicka, Kilian Jornet.

Kiwis: I really hope those earthquakes in the North don't come any closer. Fingers crossed, there were a few big ones, I know its relatively frequent out there and pretty far out. Nevertheless! Also, just saw there is a pretty strong Cyclone heading from Queensland towards the North Island.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I didn't feel a thing down in Christchurch, so based on how we react to things these days I expect the whole country to lock down just in case there's a tsunami 

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JamesD

JamesD

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp_unc_dcu_nus_m.htm

looks closer to 76% capacity. 

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MOPUEUS2&f=M

1995 was a busy year.

Interesting charts, thanks.  Looks like % of capacity averaged just over 90% during 2014-2019 before the presumably lockdown-related drop in 2020 to levels in the 70s.  Even that wasn't as high as in the late 1990s, when there were summer months with average capacity use over 99%.

JMac - Sounds like what I have may be a regular hernia, then, as I don't have pain when sneezing and have had it when running.  For now I'm taking your "keep running as long as it's improving or at least stable" approach.  After taking Tuesday off, I've used the treadmill the last two days without significant trouble.  Hope it'll be ok when I dare to go back outside.  If it gets worse, I probably will see a doctor.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

I felt the earthquake here.  Woke up about 2 minutes before it started which was a little weird.  Same thing happened a few years ago so I figured pretty quickly what it was.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I do joke but I hope nothing major does come of it.  Since the one at 2am there's been 2 much bigger quakes in the Kermadecs including an 8.0 a few minutes ago.  Potential for a significant tsunami at the top of the north island from a quake that big.

2024 Races:

I'm kinda ticked they didn't give me a t-shirt.  Or at least a sticker. 

I doubt you'd be satisfied with just a "finisher"'s award...you'd win your age group somehow. 

As for 2nd shot malaise, I'd say pretty likely (over 50% chance).  My wife got moderna and had slight fever and fatigue the next day.

Everybody is back to normal by 48h though...  no lingering effects.

Marky_Mark_17

I do joke but I hope nothing major does come of it.  Since the one at 2am there's been 2 much bigger quakes in the Kermadecs including an 8.0 a few minutes ago.  Potential for a significant tsunami at the top of the north island from a quake that big.

Yeah following that one they are warning those in coastal areas of Northland to evacuate to high ground above 300m elevation and apparently sirens have gone off at the beaches.  Allegedly there are a few people at Tolaga Bay taking pictures...

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah following that one they are warning those in coastal areas of Northland to evacuate to high ground above 300m elevation and apparently sirens have gone off at the beaches.  Allegedly there are a few people at Tolaga Bay taking pictures...

People far too accustomed to false alarms these days...

It sounds like Papamoa is in the danger zone and they're asking people to walk, run or bike if possible to avoid traffic jams.  I can imagine a flying piwi outrunning the waves right now.

2024 Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Kiwis - stay safe please.  Three in a row currently, right?    I'm reading up on things on the NZ Herald site - this is scary stuff.

As for 2nd shot malaise, I'd say pretty likely (over 50% chance).  My wife got moderna and had slight fever and fatigue the next day.

Everybody is back to normal by 48h though...  no lingering effects.

Thanks - your insight is appreciated.  My father has done both doses of Moderna, as did my training partner.  My father (in his 70s) said both doses were fine, but speculated that was because of his age resulting in a less effective immune system.  Training partner (in her 30s) was wiped out for 36 hours after the second.

I'm admittedly concerned about the inflammatory response to the vaccine triggering another UC flare and/or an asthma flare - I experience both after getting colds.  Obviously I can manage either if they happen (and the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the downsides of each) but that will be another few days of feeling sub-par on top of the vaccine reaction.

But who knows, maybe nothing will happen.  I'm kinda curious to find out.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dwave all my friends/family who have been vaccinate (10 people?) have said to move your arm as much as possible. Apparently their experience for the second shot was "EVVVVEERRY ONE was moving their arms in the cars while they waited." Just thought I'd pass it along if people have not told you 48 hours later can be very different. Some get migrates, or fevers and then sleep for hours and hours. Wife gets her shot today. Turned down her first "opportunity" (unsure if she would have been there in time) due to being pregnant.

Just be glad you can race. All I can do is sit around and watch other people have freedom to participate in activities. I should have taken up skiing or become a professional trampoline jumper. Skiing is apparently limited, however no one can tell me how ski resorts are tracking their capacities. The local water park said they'd NEVER hit capacity at 50% restrictions and yet they made people wait outside last summer because they were at their limits. I opt for "stay home. Stay safe. together we can get through this." So maybe in 2022 I can get an official 5k race locally.

mick zack just doesn't do it for me. Great runner. Great person. Just gives me this feeling that stuff to him isn't a challege and he excels at almost everything he does so he can't comprehend what it's like to struggle. Anton I never saw enough running from. I was quite impressed when I learned he had a Ph.D although he and I probably view things much differently.

James yeah it's definitely been intersting watching gas stations. The one by me has been PACKED daily since probably mid-April 2020. Refineries probably shut down because air travel wasn't happening. I believe there was a day crude oil was a negative price. That's right. If you could have taken stock of 100 billion gallons of oil one day in 2020 you'd have been paid a BUNCH of money to do it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave wtf is going on at the Capitol building? National Guard being requested to stay there another 60 days? Is this still due to the whole "storm the capitol" thing a month or however long ago that was, or is there some new threat going down?

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Well this has been an interesting week of lockdown.

Monday there was a large bushfire 1.5km from my house.

Tuesday I got a precautionary COVID test (negative) and then got a speeding ticket on the way home

Wednesday there was a manhunt 2km down the road in Greenhithe which ended up with said escapee jumping off the Greenhithe wharf and swimming the creek to evade capture (he got caught on the other side).

Thursday had some pretty impressive thunderstorms.

Friday there were some earthquakes and a tsunami warning.

Reminds me of one of my favourite Terry Pratchett quotes (which was appropriated from an ancient Chinese proverb, I think):

There is a curse.  They say "May you live in interesting times".

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"