link traffic posts (Read 150 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What do you think of RA posts which are (apparently) trying to generate traffic to links?

Do they annoy you?

Should they be censored?

But maybe some readers appreciate the link to an interesting article, or a new blog they've never seen.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

Why do you have L Train's avatar?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Why do you have L Train's avatar?

+1?

steph  

L Train

At least it is getting used.

Where is the option "Allow only if pr0n"?

Dave

xhristopher

It was my evil plan to get you to post it for me. Thanks.

BeeRunB

Aren't such posts called SPAM?

from RA terms of service:

you may not:

"Spam or send unsolicited private messages or emails. In determining whether forum posts are Spam, RunningAHEAD will consider factors such as complaints from other users, duplicate posts, multiple accounts connected to the same IP address, and content that includes links to other products and services."

It's obvious when someone is trying to push a product. If regular members post links to their race-reports or running blogs (even if they make money from ads), cool. It's a running website, if the articles and posts have to do with running, then it adds to the community. Then again, the main board could end up being a constant stream of "read my blog or article" threads. Perhaps, a thread dedicated to these things is best. As for products, Eric could create an ad thread specifically for pushing running-related products (and maybe charge a few bucks to be able to post in there),  or have sponsored posts like on Facebook and Twitter.

As of right now, you can put a link to anything you want in your signature or profile, is it spamming if you link to your widgets business or blatantly put something akin "buy my products here"?

I think the terms need to be more detailed in this gray area. It would solve a lot of these types of problems. It's hard to moderate without a specific set of rules.

mikeymike

I think the terms need to be more detailed in this gray area. It would solve a lot of these types of problems. It's hard to moderate without a specific set of rules.

No, they really don't. The post that prompted this idiotic poll was not in any gray area. It was something the vast majority of users of this site would not consider spam: a long time user pointing out (with a link) a product or service he had found interesting.

There are lots of problems worth Eric's time, the spam policy legalese isn't one of them.

Runners run

eric :)

The policy is fine.  It affords me the flexibility to screen out unwanted posts.  The rule of thumb is a post promoting goods and services that directly or indirectly benefit the poster will be censored.  This excludes long time users promoting a product that they deem useful to other users.  Long time users that promote their products will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

eric Smile

xhristopher

I've seen idiotic-er polls. I'm responsible for many of them.