you can't make this stuff up part III (Read 1383 times)

bhearn

The second one is the b spline. (this is another incredibly obscure joke for bhearn and math/CS-heads who will probably never see it)
    Snort.
    xor

And that, my friends, is a joke grenade with a really long delay.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I ain't clicking on that. Though I am curious because that seems to be a reasonable location for said item. Maybe I will click.

Menace to Sobriety

I had a friend in college who had a similar tale. Some sort of abdominal surgery when she was a teen discovered that she had absorbed a twin in-utero. That knowledge would give me nightmares for the rest of my days, I'd think. Globule, I think the book was titled "The Dark Half," maybe...Confused
            Was made into a movie, too, with Timothy Hutton.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Then there's this... http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/04/06/child-born-penis-middle/
              I'll bet that little boy will someday be in a situation where he wishes he had that second penis. I mean, if he's into kinky stuff. Otherwise I guess it could be a nuisance. Imagine the sunburn--ow. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

As reported on my morning newscast: People who sit at work all day risk a 50% higher chance of death than those who stand. And working out doesn't help. If you sit all day, 50% higher. Hmmm. Methinks this is bovine feces. We all "risk" a 100% chance of death. Dead's dead. (clearly the person who wrote up the story skipped a chunk of an important sentence from the report off the wire)

Just Happy to Run

Seems to me that the common theme in all these posts is that college friends are always medically *ucked up. Maybe it's best to not have any friends in college? Confused
                  Jason

2010 Goals
                  • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
                  jeffdonahue

Which book? I've read 'em all (nearly), and I don't remember this. MTA: Ok, I kind of remember something like this, but I still can't remember which book.
                    I think it was called "Teh Dark Half" about a writer who had pieces of his twin inside his brain.
                    Jill_B

I fly.

I really, really wish that I hadn't started reading these posts. Oh that and you guys know some interesting people.

Bring it on.

How about this one. "Police hope the graphic image (X-RAY) of Chen Liu's skull will help them track down his killer. "

Vim

Best Present Ever

As reported on my morning newscast: People who sit at work all day risk a 50% higher chance of death than those who stand. And working out doesn't help. If you sit all day, 50% higher. Hmmm. Methinks this is bovine feces. We all "risk" a 100% chance of death. Dead's dead. (clearly the person who wrote up the story skipped a chunk of an important sentence from the report off the wire)
                          poorly written, true. it's not that working out doesn't help, it's that controlling for exercise and other factors, being sedentary increased the risk of death during the time of the study. so even if you work out, you shouldn't sit on your *ss all day long. this was of interest to me, since after I run, I sit for most of the rest of the day. : Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Apr 3. [Epub ahead of print] Sitting Time and Mortality from All Causes, Cardiovascular Disease, and Cancer. Katzmarzyk PT, Church TS, Craig CL, Bouchard C. 1Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA; and 2Canadian Fitness and Lifestyle Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. PURPOSE:: Although moderate-to-vigorous physical activity is related to premature mortality, the relationship between sedentary behaviors and mortality has not been fully explored and may represent a different paradigm than that associated with lack of exercise. We prospectively examined sitting time and mortality in a representative sample of 17,013 Canadians 18-90 yr of age. METHODS:: Evaluation of daily sitting time (almost none of the time, one fourth of the time, half of the time, three fourths of the time, almost all of the time), leisure time physical activity, smoking status, and alcohol consumption was conducted at baseline. Participants were followed prospectively for an average of 12.0 yr for the ascertainment of mortality status. RESULTS:: There were 1832 deaths (759 of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and 547 of cancer) during 204,732 person-yr of follow-up. After adjustment for potential confounders, there was a progressively higher risk of mortality across higher levels of sitting time from all causes (hazard ratios (HR): 1.00, 1.00, 1.11, 1.36, 1.54; P for trend <0.0001) and="" cvd="" (hr:1.00,="" 1.01,="" 1.22,="" 1.47,="" 1.54;="" p="" for="" trend=""></0.0001)><0.0001) but="" not="" cancer.="" similar="" results="" were="" obtained="" when="" stratified="" by="" sex,="" age,="" smoking="" status,="" and="" body="" mass="" index.="" age-adjusted="" all-cause="" mortality="" rates="" per="" 10,000="" person-yr="" of="" follow-up="" were="" 87,="" 86,="" 105,="" 130,="" and="" 161="" (p="" for="" trend=""></0.0001)><0.0001) in physically inactive participants and 75, 69, 76, 98, 105 (p for trend = 0.008) in active participants across sitting time categories. conclusions:: these data demonstrate a dose-response association between sitting time and mortality from all causes and cvd, independent of leisure time physical activity. in addition to the promotion of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity and a healthy weight, physicians should discourage sitting for extended periods. in="" physically="" inactive="" participants="" and="" 75,="" 69,="" 76,="" 98,="" 105="" (p="" for="" trend="0.008)" in="" active="" participants="" across="" sitting="" time="" categories.="" conclusions::="" these="" data="" demonstrate="" a="" dose-response="" association="" between="" sitting="" time="" and="" mortality="" from="" all="" causes="" and="" cvd,="" independent="" of="" leisure="" time="" physical="" activity.="" in="" addition="" to="" the="" promotion="" of="" moderate-to-vigorous="" physical="" activity="" and="" a="" healthy="" weight,="" physicians="" should="" discourage="" sitting="" for="" extended=""></0.0001) in physically inactive participants and 75, 69, 76, 98, 105 (p for trend = 0.008) in active participants across sitting time categories. conclusions:: these data demonstrate a dose-response association between sitting time and mortality from all causes and cvd, independent of leisure time physical activity. in addition to the promotion of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity and a healthy weight, physicians should discourage sitting for extended periods.>
                          xor

Uh ok. I was just making fun of how the news presented it.

poorly written, true. it's not that working out doesn't help, it's that controlling for exercise and other factors, being sedentary increased the risk of death during the time of the study. so even if you work out, you shouldn't sit on your *ss all day long. this was of interest to me, since after I run, I sit for most of the rest of the day.
                              But if you run in traffic, you could get hit by a bus. That will prevent you from dying of sitting on your butt after a run. See? Running is good for you!