2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dw re:eggs before races. I've brought hard boiled eggs to CIM for breakfast along with bread and cashew butter (personal favorite) because breakfast was that before long runs. Just a thought in case you want to bring eggs to a hotel room. Without a fridge it's easy to keep them on ice.

That's what I used to do until I started using hemp power.  It's easy to carry hard boiled eggs if you're driving 1-2 hours to a race.  But if you're taking a train or flying, it's much more challenging.  So then you have to land and either find hard boiled eggs, or find normal eggs and figure out a way to boil them.

Hemp powder is just much easier than eggs when traveling.  Or just in general.  I just include it in the package I ship ahead of time, and then I don't have to worry about shopping/boiling/etc.

Good luck with the job BTW.

FB - I eat a lot of green stuff.  Just not peas.  Good consistent week on your end.

Arvind - I usually eat around 90-120 minutes before a race/workout.  Seems to be optimal for digesting well AND having energy.

I wonder if Lumorun went out of business because we jinxed them by discussing them?  Or perhaps they would have stayed in business if we had discussed them earlier (and they played well with Android).

Ilana - temp makes a huge difference, I find.  But we keep forgetting it.  Funny about the hashing - I was just discussing that with some friends on Saturday.  (friends who run occasionally, and have hashed)

PJ - I wonder if the 4x200 time was influenced by difficulty transferring the baton.  I'm guessing it'd take a solid 5-6 seconds to hand a baton to me.

Rune - that bike ride would wipe me out.  Heck, I went to a party on Saturday and was wiped on Sunday (and no, I didn't drink, since I was the driver)

RLK - aren't we all kinda socially awkward?  That's why we're all drawn to this sport.

Hi to the rest of y'all:  MattDadOMR.

Today was 9 very easy (9:16) plus drills, strides, upper body weights and core.  Did 8 "miles" pool-running and yoga yesterday.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

oregonrw

Once again, I'm failing to keep up around here -- in miles and reading.  Nice weeks from many of you!

brewing: Great week.  That's an impressive longer run with a stroller - I think the longest I ever tried was 12ish -and yes I found BOB strollers the best by far. I had the Ironman Double for awhile there.  Maybe do your workout on a treadmill if it's going to be 100?

rlk; Congrats on the 5k, and sounds like a really nice trip! #blessed made me laugh.

Ilana: Hope your workout goes well today and weather cooperates. We've had high humidity (for Oregon) the last few days and I can really feel it.  Same pace feels like a much harder effort, even though the temperature isn't that high.

rune: wow, long run after a 60 mile ride? That's tough.  Nice job.

OMR: That seems like a great first tempo effort -- glad it's going well.

pepperjack: Did anyone video your crash? DS and his friends have done that to a couple of their friends during steeplechases and have gotten one or two complete flops into the water, which then they send in to runnerspace instagram for their steeple fails.  Ouch.

Ok week last week. I did one workout (5 x 600,400 at 5k pace) which went well, one long run.  Overall about 40 miles.  I'm running a 5k July 28.  It's at night. I've never run a night race before so not sure how that will go.  This week I ran 7ish yesterday, 6ish this morning. It's not really hot yet but it is getting humid, which I struggle with.

pepperjack

pie man

Primary impact was my shoulder over a regular barrier.  Was feeling a little brutal this morning.  I have trouble with my rotator cuff from a previous running fall and also from from the Aussie Rules days so that didn't help.  I don't think anybody saw, let along filmed it.  Just fooling around before the start of anything.

There are pictures of my awkward steeple water jump from a few years ago, though.

Never did figure how to land and run...

Barriers are 36 inches for men.  And some of the Kenyans are not very tall so that's doubly impressive--Conselus Kirputo is listed at 5'6" !

edit: did almost take out the third leg in the relay.  we didn't do separate lanes and that made it a bit crazy.  But overall time was probably logical (mixed relay young/old fast/slow)

11:11 3,000 (recent)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

PJ - those pictures, wow!  And despite all that, you did it again... 

Oregon - I'm with you on the humidity hating.  I grew up on the East Coast, but moving to arid southern CO has destroyed whatever humidity tolerance I had. As far as night races, there used to be a 5k series here called "A Night at the Races" that I did a few times.  I would have tortilla chips and juice (instead of beer) for my after-work snack, and then race about an hour later, worked okay.

Dwave - I am a bit spoiled by my flexible schedule so I am accustomed to running early morning in the summer, mid-morning in spring and fall, and midday in the winter!  So I usually don't run in the heat, and it kind of snuck up on me and whomped me on the head.

rlk - Colorado is best state, it is known.  I don't understand why everybody doesn't live here, but I'm glad they don't. Cute photo, congrats on your decent 5k, and so cool that you got to hang with SC!  As far as orthotics go, I'm old and set in my ways, and my flat feet are set in theirs, I suspect.

Dad - anything involving stepping on a machine is probably not available here, alas.

FB - well, going to hell is usually associated with heat. 

Rune - I sort of feel that biking the day before helps my running (aerobic but non-weight-bearing exercise), but I am mountain biking and much shorter distances/times, 2 hours rather than 4.

I did get outside for my tempo run this morning and it was fabulous!  I mean, I'm still kinda slow, but I compared my pace and HR to my tempos from about this time last year and I'm pretty much right where I was then, which was still not great compared to how I was a few years before, but maybe if I manage not to get injured again I'll be able to continue to rebuild.  Anyway, 8 miles with 2x2 tempo, and after the first mile I decided to just run by feel rather than looking at the Garmin, and it worked pretty well.  I came back home with a grin on my face like you wouldn't believe - I just felt super good afterward, like, hard workout but still energizing.

Running Problem

Problem Child

brewing: Great week.   Maybe do your workout on a treadmill if it's going to be 100?

I'd do this however the treadmill I have is in the garage...I either get up around 3:30 am and get out the door QUICKLY, or run based on heart rate and ignore paces because I'll probably be much slower. Part of me leans towards 3:30 wake up and enjoy running 6:50-7:00 pace with a headlamp on a (hopefully) empty road again like this morning.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

I did a very lackluster catch up after being absent from RA for a while.

Running Dynamics: I go back and forth on their benefit. I haven't tracked mine enough to know its impact. I feel like listening to your body works just as well. With that said, I do like looking at all the data.

Pre race grub: I can't do eggs or dairy the morning of races. Typically get my protein from peanut butter. I almost always do bagel and PB, black coffee, and water. For marathons I increase my carbs throughout the week, try to do a large carb meal 2 nights before a long race. Night before HM or longer I do salmon, spinach salad, sweet potato, and maybe some crusty bread. 10k or less I don't really think about it all that much.

Brew: training appears to going well. Less than 90 days!!

CK: nice 5k!

Rune: I too thought you ran 113 miles! Definitely would've been going against the 25% increase rule.

RLK: Colorado is great, isn't it? Too bad we weren't in the same area. I stopped by running roost, got some sweet CO socks.

I survived my long run in Denver on Saturday. The guy I was going to meet had a dental emergency and couldn't make it. I think he was just scared of me. I thoroughly enjoyed a run in Waterton Canyon. Ran a gradual uphill to the Colorado Trail and then back down. Glad I started early because this is a well used area. It was quite busy by the time I left. I was able to keep normal paces (8:03) at 5500-6000 ft elevation.

The rest of my running on vacay was not good. I think the flight and long drive from Denver to Creede (about 6 hours) set off my nerve entrapment issue in the R hip/thigh (meralgia paresthetica). It's not really an injury, but man it hurts sometimes. Essentially a sensory nerve gets entrapped in a muscle body and I get an electric shock pain during landing and pushoff of the R leg and considering that happens roughly 90x per minute it kind of sucks. I decided to rest, hike, and bike for 4 days before running again. This made a lot of improvement in the symptoms. Ran 6 easy yesterday and 8 with 4x1600 today and it wasn't too bad.

The rest of vacation was awesome and relaxing. Had a lot of great family time. The rivers were low which made fishing tough, but it was still a joy to be standing in a river in the middle of the mountains.

4x1600 this morning, goal was start at 6:20 and get faster from there. I went 6:15, 6:09, 6:08, 6:18. That last one sucked. Closest I've come to upchucking on a run in a long time. It was warm and humid, but it was likely the lack of training last week.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

RLK - aren't we all kinda socially awkward?  That's why we're all drawn to this sport.

Comment #1) Which is why I am utterly baffled by the number of people (usually at work) just before/after a run and try to make idle chit chat w/ me.

Comment #2) In my case, physically awkward too ... it was getting cut from 8th grade baseball team  combined w/ doing well on the mile run in gym class that made me think about trying HS XC.(See also PJ picture!)

oregon ~ I love evening races! A few unsolicited tips: 1) Think about what to eat (lighter than usual and make sure it agrees w/ you ... e.g., I often eat veggies w/ hummus at lunch, but wouldn't do that before a race); 2) consider using caffeine even though it is in pm if you are used to it in am (your sleep is likely to be disrupted anyway); 3) consider doing a shake out run (10-15 min very gently about 2 to 2.5 hours pre race) ... if you've been sitting around relaxing (as you would ideally), you're likely to be rather sluggish ... this helps ... some yoga, maybe foam rolling, other activity, or even a brisk shower could work too. As with most things, it's best to work out the bugs in practice.

10 w/ some hill repeats today (3 x 2', 1', 30")

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ace- welcome home to you, too! I just looked on strava - you were OUT there!  must have been beautiful and serene.

and yikes - dental emergency must be painful. glad you got a good LR in anyway! I am impressed you run "normal paces" at that altitude. I do, too, it just takes more effort Smile  I did a few miles by the ski resorts off I-70 - the bike path is gradually downhill, which you don't notice until you turn around to go back up.

brew- but who wants to munch on raw garlic at 9am? Lol. It was about 70min to get there - that's the prize for waking up at 5am - but still too far, ha.

Happy birthday to BIL! BF (and, weirdly enough, ex-BF too) has his birthday on 7/11 also. he has a surprise weekend adventure in the works! slurpees are good, too.

group photo would be lame, hehe. We did go to Avery Brewing, on July 4th evening. It recently expanded quite a bit so it's several miles outside of Boulder now. Went somewhere walkable on the main drag with SC and SN.

dwave- very true, runners being socially awkward!

oregon- laughing at DS and his teammate steeple fail videos! that's one way to get non-runners to watch track race videos, haha

Ilana- If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

oregonrw

Dad: thanks for the night race tips! I didn't even consider doing a couple of practice runs at that time-- that would probably help. It will be an interesting race -- it's supposed to be a fast course and brings out a very fast field -- hopefully it won't be too hot.

Ilana: Glad you had such a successful run today! That's got to feel good. I'm from the East Coast too but have lived here long enough now that when I go back I complain the whole time about how hot and humid it is.

Ace: Sounds like a great vacation -- hopefully the nerve thing will continue to improve.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

rlk - Colorado is best state, it is known.  I don't understand why everybody doesn't live here, but I'm glad they don't.

Well...speaking for myself, it's because I'm sold on the values of training in high humidity in the summer.

(v.glad the tempo went so well)

Oregon - +1 to everything Dad wrote about evening races.  That's pretty much how I do them.

Ace - long drives are so hard on the body.  I can only do them in SUVs - something about the way one sits in a sedan triggers my sciatica, while the more upright SUV seat is easier on me.  Nice strong mile repeats - as  I recall from Strava, the recovery was pretty short.

PJ - the pix make it look like you started the water jump on the far left side and landed on the far right....was that the case?

Brewing - I think early early morning runs outside can feel special - just you and the big silent sleeping world.  Kinda magical.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Taken on different laps.  I only took the inside when I was absolutely sure no one else was around and lapping me so I wasn’t in the way.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

pj: I think if a local track had that setup I'd give it a shot. I wouldn't want to try it without some practices before hand. I'm not too experienced jumping 3' fences.

dw it was pretty nice in the morning. It's a toss between getting miles in when it's 60F and 30% humidity or 90F and 10% for me when the back of my head both have their place for preparation in Chicago. CIM has always been well to me and it might be partly because I grew up in 60% humidity for 20+ years.

I decided, thanks to DW suggesting it, to do my workout tonight at 6,000' elevation (I live around 4,500) because it will be about 85F and should offer shade. The downside is it's an hour away from home so I'm guessing I'll be home around 8:30pm just in time for bed. I have lunch with me and plan to try and save some to eat around 3:00 for fuel and to let it digest before the workout. I don't think I'd be good with doing a workout having not eaten for 5 hours with my past 2 or 3 already having problems with completion. DW knows how late I'll be home. I feel a little bad being gone for an entire day but it's short term (marathon training always is) and she told me the other day "if you don't qualify you get to quit running because there is plenty for you to do here." I think she was half joking. I think the half was about quitting running but MAYBE it is because she wants to go to the gym after work as a family. It is probably just her way of encouraging me and telling me she doesn't care if I'm gone if the work is being done to qualify. Like all good spouses/SO do.

I'm not exactly looking FORWARDS to this workout (40 min E, 3 @ 6:50-7:00, 3 min rest, 2x (2 @ 6:50-7, 2 min rest), 2E) but it has to get done. It's the 3 miler that has previously hurt (headwinds) and the 2 milers have been good to me. So much running right below 10K pace. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

pj: I think if a local track had that setup I'd give it a shot. I wouldn't want to try it without some practices before hand. I'm not too experienced jumping 3' fences.

I fantasize about doing a steeple (again) every now and then, but then I come across the fallen tree that's maybe 24" high that I have to stop and climb over and I come back to reality. #NoVertical

Hangover, runner style: After yesterday's workout (30' w/u, 3x 2', 1', & 30" hills, 30' c/d), I felt really good ... like I should've done more. This morning: lower back is stiff, butt is tight, calves are sore.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Looks like I didn't miss out on too terribly much while out for a couple days after the weekend.
                              DW has started watching a nephew Monday-Wednesday - The little guy (~18 months old) came down with a bug last Friday, and DW + DD3 got hit with it late Sunday/early Monday. I took a couple days off work to help and have been rewarded with that same bug myself. A bit of a bummer, but I'm telling myself a down week ahead of formally starting my 18 week plan on Monday will be a good thing. Does a couple days off make anyone else want to just hammer a workout?

FB - I've run in Altras exclusively for a little over a year and love them. Currently in the Escalante, which they just released a minor revision to. For me I'll stick with the (now cheaper) original version over the new one.

Brew - Nice week, and good luck chasing the new gig. I'm still looking for my first time to get DD3 out in the stroller for a real run.

Ilana - Good week, and that hash run sounds like a ton of fun.

Rune - Good week. Your plan (and Brew's) looks to be different than mine. I have one LR with 15 (!) M miles (of 16 total), but other than that one run I don't have further than 10mi at M pace.

Ace - Welcome back, and thanks! Sounds like a pretty awesome vacation.

Lumo - Bummer, I suppose. This is one reason I'm super-sceptical of anything that requires an app or something cloud-based to work. This isn't the first fitness or athletic-focused piece of tech that has (or will shortly) stop functioning because a web platform isn't available any longer (BSX Insight, an blood oxygen monitor, comes to mind).

My last week:

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Jul 02, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 08, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                              Mon 10.3 8:11 2 hawks, 1 rabbit, & way too much humidity 140 (71%) strava
                              Tue 10.4 8:06 3 rabbits & my track-coaching hawk. Who tapers for an Independence Day 5k anyway? Easy + strides 138 (70%) strava
                              Wed 1.2 8:01 Warm-up & a few strides 139 (71%) strava
                              Wed 3.1 6:10 Stars & Stripes Forever 5k - 19:07 chip 173 (88%) strava
                              Fri 13.3 7:41 1T + 2T + 1T. Track coach didn't show. 160 (82%) strava
                              Sat 15.1 8:22 1 buck in velvet, lots of MAMILs, & 2 incredible B-25 flyovers 151 (77%) strava
                                53.4 7:58      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

You must not be doing the 2Q workout (I thought you were when I started) like I'm doing. Since I don't have the book I know rune is doing the lower mileage version. Otherwise I'd tell you you have a 15 mile/120 minute run coming up. If your plan has a "miles or time, whichever is lower" you could always do the time one and see how it goes. My first plan was to do half the run with NeRP because I didn't think I'd want to and I thought he would be fussy. Turns out he slept which made running easier for him to take with. You could also try doing it for M work.

Brew - Nice week, and good luck chasing the new gig. I'm still looking for my first time to get DD3 out in the stroller for a real run.

Rune - Good week. Your plan (and Brew's) looks to be different than mine. I have one LR with 15 (!) M miles (of 16 total), but other than that one run I don't have further than 10mi at M pace.

VDOT 53.37