Smokers (Read 973 times)

Kalsarikännit

but still, do you really think people are going to be out for a run and smoking up?  

I've been asked for a light once or twice while out running and waiting for a stoplight.  Clearly I need to work on the dedicated jogger look, and start running in place while waiting.  (I am also asked for change all the time, just in case I am running with a big 'ol pocket filled with coins.)

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

#artbydmcbride

Well yeah, the runners who are laughing giddily and smell strongly like pot smoke!  Of course he thought it was you two.  Big grin

Runners run

I've been asked for a light once or twice while out running and waiting for a stoplight.  Clearly I need to work on the dedicated jogger look, and start running in place while waiting.  (I am also asked for change all the time, just in case I am running with a big 'ol pocket filled with coins.)

I had an old woman ask me if I'd been having car trouble once. 

I was wearing a highlighter-colored high-visibility jacket and running tights.  And a hat with a blinker on it.  Also, I was running.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

No Talent Drips

Meanwhile, I'm lobbying for a new category of race results. Sure, I was 978 at NYC overall, but I bet I was top 100 among smokers...

And I know I stink.

Dei Gratia

DoppleBock

Let's see strong pot smell + 2 people giggling - You have to be guilty!

On a related note, 

Last night my wife and I went on a run in the park.  There is one side of our park that verrrry often smells like the mad reefer.  We must have been running REALLY close to the smoker because, man, it was STRONG.  We both stopped whatever we were talking about and laugh and commented about it.

Just then, another run sped past us, must have smelled it too and turned around and gave us the biggest death stare.  I think he thought we were running and smoking pot hahahaha.  We did not see the smoker anywhere, but still, do you really think people are going to be out for a run and smoking up?  hahahaha 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Damn government ~ Since I am a rule follower I have to drink too much beer instead of smoking too much pot! 

Well yeah, the runners who are laughing giddily and smell strongly like pot smoke!  Of course he thought it was you two.  Big grin

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

Damn government ~ Since I am a rule follower I have to drink too much beer instead of smoking too much pot! 

Running does the same thing. Apparently, it activates these things in your brain called "cannabinoids." Same chemicals that the marijuana plant activates.

I never used to believe in the runner's high, but somehow in my 30s I really started getting the runner's high. 

A certain percentage of lifetime runners totally end up talking like stoners. I have noticed this.

Feeling the growl again

Running does the same thing. Apparently, it activates these things in your brain called "cannabinoids." Same chemicals that the marijuana plant activates.

No wonder running gives me the munchies.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Technical article: http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v35/n2/full/npp2009141a.html

Running wheel and sucrose consumption protect mice from the behavioral effect of social defeat stress. Mice were allowed to explore an open-field box for 30min. (a) Total distance traveled by mice subjected to social stress was significantly reduced compared with non-stressed animals. On the contrary, mice previously exposed to 15 days of running wheel or to 7 days of sucrose consumption showed a locomotor activity comparable with controls. (b) Similar results were obtained by recording the profile of locomotion over successive 10-min intervals. (c) The distance covered in the center compared with the total distance was used as a parameter of anxiety-related behavior. In accordance to motor activity, this index of emotionality showed that running wheel and sucrose rewards are able to prevent stress-induced anxiety. Indeed, mice exposed to natural rewards before stress showed distance ratios comparable with those of their control non-stressed littermates. (d) The graph shows the protective action of natural rewards from the synaptic consequences of stress: sucrose (7 days) treatment and running wheel (15 days) exposure were able to rescue the effect of HU210 on sIPSC frequency. * p<0.05 compared with control mice. ** p<0.01 compared with control mice.

far out.

Feeling the growl again

Technical article: http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v35/n2/full/npp2009141a.html

Running wheel and sucrose consumption protect mice from the behavioral effect of social defeat stress. Mice were allowed to explore an open-field box for 30min. (a) Total distance traveled by mice subjected to social stress was significantly reduced compared with non-stressed animals. On the contrary, mice previously exposed to 15 days of running wheel or to 7 days of sucrose consumption showed a locomotor activity comparable with controls. (b) Similar results were obtained by recording the profile of locomotion over successive 10-min intervals. (c) The distance covered in the center compared with the total distance was used as a parameter of anxiety-related behavior. In accordance to motor activity, this index of emotionality showed that running wheel and sucrose rewards are able to prevent stress-induced anxiety. Indeed, mice exposed to natural rewards before stress showed distance ratios comparable with those of their control non-stressed littermates. (d) The graph shows the protective action of natural rewards from the synaptic consequences of stress: sucrose (7 days) treatment and running wheel (15 days) exposure were able to rescue the effect of HU210 on sIPSC frequency. * p<0.05 compared with control mice. ** p<0.01 compared with control mice.

Food therapy.  Sounds pretty much like what some people do when stressed.

I wonder if it works with beer....or it the the mean drunk mouse just starts a ruckus while the happy/sleepy one tries to pass out in the corner of the box.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A certain percentage of lifetime runners totally end up talking like stoners. I have noticed this.

Another of life's questions answered.  Like, cool man.

vegefrog

Yes, I have respect for those who successfully quit, it is hard enough for me to completely abandon beer in pursuit of quicker weight loss.

Yes...I decided I was going to quit drinking beer for a month to lose a few extra pounds before my first marathon. I lasted a whole 4 days...it was 75 degrees outside in January...I was helpless to resist an ice cold beer!

#artbydmcbride

Another of life's questions answered.  Like, cool man.

Big grin

Runners run

I feel the same way about perfume.

Yep. People come into the gym and work out REEKING of perfume or aftershave. It drives me completely batshit crazy.