Doctor's approval for training? (Read 1208 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

In almost all the articles that I've read targeting new runners I see the advice along the line of "get your doctor's approval before starting". I understand the need for it for someone who has known health issues, but what exactly does this entail for someone with seemingly healthy medical history? I did not do one before I started my running, as my past annual checkups had not flagged anything worrying. So when I go for my next checkup and tell my doc that I'm training for marathons, is he going to do anything differently? Are there specific probing/prodding/testings that will come along in addition to the normal basic checkup stuff? As runners, do you request certain tests or procedures which docs would otherwise not normally prescribe?

A Saucy Wench

lawyer -" hey before you publish that article put the med advice statement on it.  "

But I didnt tell you to run without a checkup.  No .  Not me.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JimR

Our long-ago ancestors did no such thing.

'course, they're all dead now.

BeeRunB

make sure to check with your doctor before having sex, going for a long walk, chowing down 5 meals a day on a cruise,  gambling excessively, selling out your integrity, walking up to see Machu Picchu, watching Dexter, eating pizza, eating ice cream, going on a roller coater, watching CIssy and Bobby dance on The Lawrence Welk Show,  manifesting your dreams, doing a colon cleansing program, watching the Zapruder film over and over and over and over and over,  having an argument about politics or religion or Ginger vs. MaryAnne or Marcia vs. Carol Brady or Barney FIfe vs. Ruben Kincaid, before you try any  home remedy that involves abrasive cleansers, lift the fridge by yourself,  before trying a new doctor...........

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There might be a comic in that.  Don't know how you'd draw it, though.

Typically this is done so the doctor can tell you if you have something odd about your heart. This is mostly useful if you've never been to the doctor or are young.

As you get older you've probably been to the doctors often enough to know if you have an issue or not. At this point you're in denial that you can't do the things you used to, so the doctor is just there to be the voice of reason.

lawyer -" hey before you publish that article put the med advice statement on it.  "

But I didnt tell you to run without a checkup.  No .  Not me.

+1. Hell, +2.

In almost all the articles that I've read targeting new runners I see the advice along the line of "get your doctor's approval before starting".

If you read that statement and thought, "Which one of my doctors?", you're old and you need to get checked out first.  If you read it and thought, "I'm supposed to have a doctor?", you're young and good to go.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Why is it sideways?

If you read that statement and thought, "Which one of my doctors?", you're old and you need to get checked out first.  If you read it and thought, "I'm supposed to have a doctor?", you're young and good to go.

Nice.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can't hurt. Won't likely help, unless you have a family or prior personal history of medical issues that you need to discuss with the doc.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It's always nice to establish a health baseline before embarking on something like running.  That way, when you come back in a year, your doc can be duly impressed by your new resting heart rate, 5% body fat and gigantic calves.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Kenotic Runner

Paradoxically, there's no such advice on Twinkies.

Paradoxically, there's no such advice on Twinkies.

Quite. 

It's a surreal state of affairs, where people are worried about undertaking a perfectly normal and natural thing like actually using their bodies; but apparently not worried about a life of stuffing junk down their throats; sitting on the couch and never walking further than the distance from the parking lot into Walmart :/

(This isn't meant at a dig at the OP... just the general state of affairs.)

BeeRunB

There might be a comic in that.  Don't know how you'd draw it, though.

Coolha

I finally just got down how to draw arms running, that particular challenge could ruin my life....

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Coolha

I finally just got down how to draw arms running, that particular challenge could ruin my life....

Maybe something along the lines of Hieronymus Bosch...