Please Post - Interval speed. (Read 743 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I need some clarity on how fast I should be doing my intervals. Last week I did 12x400m, 1 minute rest, and I average1:37 per interval. Today, a week later, I upped them to 14 x 400m, and averaged 1:30.5 per interval. Here are my splits: 1:26 1:32 1:29 1:36 1:33 1:32 1:34 1:38 1:29 1:28 1:30 1:34 1:30 1:18 My perceived effort was the same, and both were hard, but i dont know if these are too fast or slow etc? My current vdot according to a xalculator is 47, going off my recent 27:22 4 mile road race. Please help BTW, next week I will be repeating the workout but upping it to 16 intervals and so on till I get to a mximum of 24, but I dont think I will possibly be able to keep the same pace over this amount of intervals.. One last think, I thought I would just tell you I was surprised yesterda, did my longest run eva, 16.21 miles, and could have gone further, but family commitments meant I had to go back home.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1. Why are you running track intervals in the heat? They are far better run in cooler weather. 2. Why are you ramping up to 24 laps? Most folks do 8-12 max (well, except Quentin Cassidy) 3. What are your recoveries like? 4. What is your goal race's distance, intended pace and date?
        1. Why are you running track intervals in the heat? They are far better run in cooler weather.
        Butting in, he's in the UK Trent Wink It's like only in the 60's or so.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mikeymike

What's the point of the workout? What pace are you aiming for and why? You should be doing them slightly faster, or slower than that. Or exatly that fast. Or something. Serioiusly. Don't get too fine. Run by feel. Just aim for consistency.

Runners run

Slow-smooth-fast

I currently do a 10k road run , relatively flat in 43:30. I want to get under 40 minutes, that is my primary goal. I want to do this by Christmas. I am doing these to get used to running at tempo. I have a minute rest, and am totally revitalised by bout 40 seconds into it ready for the next one. Should I just stick at 14 and do them with less rest or quicker? Does not it make sense to always do more every week to get better?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

mikeymike

Since your goal race is 10k, I would suggest before adding more 400's you might try jogging slowly for half a lap in between instead of standing rest. Make it one continuous run. And try to work on being consistent, more than being fast. So if you average 1:30 per, try to have all of them fall within a second either way of 1:30. Training should be a progression but you don't need to add volume each week to keep getting faster.

Runners run