Love Running But........... (Read 458 times)

JustLikeJF

an amazing likeness

"Intense walking 6 days week..." is just about the best physical and mental preparation for running, and a joy into itself. No need to kill yourself running. See a Dr if you have real concerns (not just the post on an internet forum version). Any reasonable health care provider will work with you to arrive at a physical and mental health program that you can sustain for a lifetime.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Needless to say, any cardiac abnormalities should be attended to by a doctor.  I see you say it is financially unfeasible.  Your life is worth it, whether walking into an ER or whatever you have to do, I would hope you can find a way.

Can you detail more about what you call an irregular heartbeat?  How do you know it is irregular?  It can be a lot of things, some of which are serious and some of which are not.

You're going into an area where people are afraid to chime in online...potentially serious health issues that need to be attended to by a professional, in person.  I hope you can figure it out and continue to enjoy running.  Someone close to me had similar issues, frequent heart palpitations while running.  Once they cut out stimulants (ie caffeine) and lost some weight, they went away.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JustLikeJF

JustLikeJF

JustLikeJF

Feeling the growl again

You're right and I apologize to all. Honestly I shouldn't be dumping this on anyone except a doctor but Here's how I figure it : I don't post on any other internet forum, I don't have a Facebook account, I'm not on twiiter, I check my emails and read up on some subjects and that's the extent of my internet activities. I found something I love recently.........running, it fits like a glove, I've never felt so strong about something, does that make sense ? I don't know, I don't know any other runners. I was researching my condition and I noticed most of the info was coming from running sites. So I said to myself, hey I'll go out on a limb , join a site, maybe there is some support out there and here I am. Thanks for having me. Hope to be a positive contributor.

There is no need to apologize, I just didn't want you left wondering when you didn't get much in the way of solid opinions on the question.

I hope you figure it out and, by all means, stick around with us fellow running addicts.  Anyone with a dog in their avatar must be ok. Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JustLikeJF

My wife recently went to see doctor for her annual checkup (and knee issue) & had irregular heartbeat.  She followed up with some more testing & came out with good results, no issues of any sort.  doctor told her not to worry, just something that shows up sometimes.  she walks daily & also very involved with dog agility.    point is that, yes there may be some deeper issues but there may be an equal chance of no issues to worry about.

BTW  love your attitude about running, continue on with what you can handle.  and as been mentioned if there is anyway you can make it to see doctor, do so.  welcome to RA

justrundan

Thanks for the reply. I experienced similar events in the past and figured out that it was non dairy creamer causing the problem. I stopped using creamer and it went away (in just a few days) then later quit coffee altogether which is what makes me believe that tweaking my diet in this instance is worth a try. What I'm guessing is that my arteries are partially blocked. I've always suspected that but I thought exercise would reverse it.

I'd rather drop dead than be in medical debt in the form of walking into an ER. My wife and I are in a common group these days of people who make to little to afford insurance and to much to qualify for aid.

I thought I was in the best shape of my life. I feel like I've been waiting my whole life to run. Just thinking about it brings a happy tear to my eye. I think about running when I fall asleep every night. When I'm in the shower I go over my runs in my head over and over. I have to do this ! I have to run !

By irregular I mean sometimes it's ok, then every other beat is missing and then a hard one hits and it keeps happening for several minutes then it's ok for a few minutes then back to irregular. when I run I don't or can't feel anything.

When the creamer was the problem it was just straight irregular nonstop for almost three weeks.

Your description of the irregular heart beat sounds like "premature beats", can come from either top chambers or lower chambers of the heart, and are usually not serious.   They are most noticeable when sitting quietly or lying down.  Exercise usually makes them go away.  Notice I said usually.  I'm a physician and have those myself.  They bug me, but I try to ignore them.  I'd suggest looking in your area for a 'free clinic', many counties have those for folks that don't have insurance and are not eligible for state aid.  You really should get it looked into.

Partially blocked arteries usually don't cause skipped beats, but the pain/pressure/shortness of breath issues.

Good luck at getting it checked.

Dan

running metalhead

Thanks for the reply. I experienced similar events in the past and figured out that it was non dairy creamer causing the problem. I stopped using creamer and it went away (in just a few days) then later quit coffee altogether which is what makes me believe that tweaking my diet in this instance is worth a try. What I'm guessing is that my arteries are partially blocked. I've always suspected that but I thought exercise would reverse it.

By irregular I mean sometimes it's ok, then every other beat is missing and then a hard one hits and it keeps happening for several minutes then it's ok for a few minutes then back to irregular. when I run I don't or can't feel anything.

When the creamer was the problem it was just straight irregular nonstop for almost three weeks.

Dunno mate, it doesn't make much sense to me. Do you use a heart rate meter?
                        Note that some GI issues and even muscles in your chest can cause things that you may think are "stronger heart beats". Heart problems do normally not cause you to feel anything in your heart but pain (lots of pain, AFAIK) in your arms or others.

I would say that checking your HR for a few days wearing a heart rate meter strap will show you if you have an issue or not. You can get a decent one for not more than 30 bucks, no need to get a full-featured state-of-the-art GPS gadget.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

JustLikeJF

JustLikeJF

jmcfarlandrunner

I love running but, it's one injury after another.

That's just part of the game tho!

Keep on moving!