Reston 10 miler race report (Read 386 times)

Kimmie

Hey there- Just wanted to share my race experience this morning. I decided to run this race at the very last minute- like Friday. This is a small local race- there were probably 200 runners there at the most today. So, I'm preparing for the National Half Marathon in a couple of weeks and my weekly mileage has been lower than it should be. I think that this race might be a good kick in the pants to get me going these last couple of weeks. Well, I had so much fun with this one. It was raining and dreary, windy and just a little cold. I kept thinking the rain would let up but it never really did. But that just adds to the fun of it all, yes? Since I had not planned on running this race and was really not prepared at all, I had absolutely no goal whatsoever. In the back of my mind, I thought under 1:30 would be nice. The hills in this race are non stop and killer. Just when you think the hills might be over, here comes another one. Again another thing to add to the "fun" of this race. I started out on the fast side, running an 8:00 pace. I was trying to stay with friends of mine, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to do that for very long. but my pace was kind of all over the place. And the best thing is that I was able to maintain a sub 8:00 pace for the last half mile and finish in 1:28- which is not fast by any means, but I'm happy with it. So, just wanted to share. I am happy to have done it and I know I need to see what I can do for this half.

Dave

Wish I'd have been there, Kimmie. You finished strong and that probably points to a very good performance coming up at the National (with a whole lot less hills). The trick now is picking the right pace for your half. Sounds like it will be somewhere above 8 and below 9. I'm convinced part of the challenge of the half is pushing yourself enough during the first 10 miles and just trying to hold on to the end. Completely different race than the the full. You're going to do great at National Smile

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

For such a hilly course that is a very nice time, well done!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.