P90x (Read 6266 times)

P90X is expensive ($120.00), and the shipping is a whopping $19.95 with some bit about this being “Free” and “Express”. This part is definitely kind of scammy, but all of those television products do it.

$120 may seem like a lot, but its tough to put a price tag on being very fit. There's nothing magic about p90X, per se, but those types of exercises are great for over-all fitness and losing weight. 

The shirtless wonder

I thought the p90x fad had officially ended...I guess not quite yet.

I thought the p90x fad had officially ended...I guess not quite yet.

why do you think doing high intensity body weight exercises is a fad? It's a great form of exercise. I realize, however, it won't do much for ones running performance.

Again, there's nothing magical about P90X specifically, but the the actual exercises are very good. 

Love P90X.  I purchased for about $40.00 on some website a few months ago.  I hope it was legal.  The workouts make me sore like no other weight training plan I have done in the last 9 years.  I use it mostly for upper body and have also done the Plyometrics.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

I just checked and I got it at http://ioffer.com for $34.00.  Bought the P90X Extreme for $40.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

The shirtless wonder

why do you think doing high intensity body weight exercises is a fad? It's a great form of exercise. I realize, however, it won't do much for ones running performance.

Again, there's nothing magical about P90X specifically, but the the actual exercises are very good. 

I don't think high intensity body weight exercise is a fad.  The p90x branding of such exercise is a fad.  I watched someone do a p90x workout while I ran on a treadmill.  I agree -- it's a very good workout.  Not long ago all I would hear about from people was p90x this, p90x that, and now ... silence. 

Marathon Maniac #957

I just checked and I got it at http://ioffer.com for $34.00.  Bought the P90X Extreme for $40.

Oh man, you had to say that....

Just made my own purchase there - $38, shipping included....couldn't resist. 

DH won't be thrilled.

I'll wrap it and put it under the tree - his present to me.....right next to the new pair of running shoes I ordered last week.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Any update from the p90x users out there?  I'm considering it and I need some convincing.  or I need some alternatives. 

I'm looking for something that will help get me into a routine.  I've found that I'm good with a plan, but no so good at winging it.

nothing to see here.  

fast momma!

i haven't used the system personally, but i know several people who have ordered it. They loved it. Of course it is so hard, that they both stopped using it after about 2 months. I think I'll just stick to treadmill/bike, maybe swimming? Cool

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

Any update from the p90x users out there?  I'm considering it and I need some convincing.  or I need some alternatives. 

I'm looking for something that will help get me into a routine.  I've found that I'm good with a plan, but no so good at winging it.

Someone was just telling me about a faux P90x -- Supreme 90 Day. $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond. And BB&B always coupons.

I am on day 83 of my first p90x cycle...

I would recommend it and may do another cycle in the future, but here are some things to keep in mind.

Unless you already have a 6 pack and single digit body fat, If you are looking for infomercial results you will need to follow the nutrition plan and be vigilent with following the program as laid out.

-- I was pretty vigilent with following the plan as laid out, but I didn't follow the nutrition plan and am getting decent results, but now where near the results I had hoped to achieve

Your weekly running mileage may need to take hit or you will not have the energy to give the required effort for optimum p90x results

-- I was averging 50-60 mpw prior to p90x, but only ran 12-18 mpw while doing p90x (however, I was trying to heal some nagging injuries, so  may have been able to run more miles maybe 25-30 per week tops if healthy)

Most of the workouts are 75 minutes when you include ab ripper which is done 3 days a week...Yoga is 90 minutes ..that is alot of yoga and they move pretty quickly..seems fairly advanced but I'm not a yoga expert..my least favorite of the disks

Plyometrics is probably my favorite of the workouts, but it beats the crap out of me everytime

It is hard..unless you currently do alot of weight training or push up and pull ups...I could barely move for two days after my first plyometrics workout..after the first week it got better, but you still get beat up everyday..it really never gets easy since you increase your max reps as you get stronger

90 days doesn't sound long until you have to do something for 90 days

--- It may not be an issue for you..this was my situation which made it kind of daunting after awhile... I have an hour commute to work and am on the road by 6:15am so doing p90x before work was not an option for me.. I typically get my run in during lunch, if I could have somehow done p90x during this time it would have been easier...unfortunately I had to do it as soon as I got home from work (5pm) this means I would sit down to eat dinner anywhere from 6-6:45 depending on the required p90x workout...I could finally relax around 7:30 which gave me 1:30-2 hours before going to bed and having to do it all over again

You will need a pull up bar and at least two sets of hand weights (more if you are looking to get bulk)..there is an option to use resistance bands for all exercises including pull ups

lmk if you have any specific questions

Thanks for the feedback. 

I've read that it's very hard (intense) for people who are in shape already and nearly impossible for couch potatoes.  I'm not overweight but I have never lifted weights consistently.  I think I'm going to try a routine of sit-ups, pull-ups and push ups for a while and see how that goes before I bite the bullet w/ p90x. 

nothing to see here.  

I am on day 83 of my first p90x cycle...

cool thanks for sharing.  Someday, hopefully later than sooner when I give up trying to get faster at running, I want to do this.

cool thanks for sharing.  Someday, hopefully later than sooner when I give up trying to get faster at running, I want to do this.

I hear you there...I only did it because it was winter and I needed to focus on something other than running to heal my nagging knee injuries..I am hoping that the all around strength training will help keep future injuries at bay..I will see how my fall marathon build up goes and then will know if it was really worth the effort

I started this program 12 days ago(I am on day 12 today).  For reference, I am in fairly good running shape(i.e. 50+mile ultra's are generally not a problem).  Here is my experience to date.

1. Weights are a problem - I'm a runner not a body builder Smile

2. Was very sore the first week but not as much now

3. As mentioned before it takes at least an hour a night and does cut into running

4. I do enjoy doing a run followed by a workout - just makes it a bit harder

5. Yoga....well....sucks. enough said

6. Am not doing the nutrition plan - some of the dvd talk in this area sounds like an ad to sell their recovery drink and stuff

7. My only expectation is a bit stronger upper body.  Not looking for a 6 pack or anything

8. 90 days is a very loooong time; am taking it one week at a time

Thanks, Dennis