Cold Weather- what do I wear? (Read 1248 times)

Hazzard_County

Hi all, I want to start a running program, but I live in Michigan (winter is pretty darn cold!) - what should I wear on my outdoor runs so that I am not too warm by the end of the run & not to cold at the start! I used to run cross country back in the day, but our seasons never went beyond the month of November so I really have no idea how to dress appropriatley Dec-Feb. Any advice would be great, thanks! Smile

The basic trick is layers. Try to stick to fabrics that will wick sweat away from your skin, and depending upon the temperature/wind just keep adding new layers. As you warm up, you can remove layers and put them around your waist or leave them behind to pick up on the way back. Another tip is to always run into the wind when you start your run so that you are more likely to have the wind at your back on the way home. If you aren't running an out and back, then factor that in accordingly. For myself, I usually throw on a vest over a long sleeve if it is cold but not freezing. That way I can open the vest to regulate my temperature. As it gets colder (or darker) I move to windbreakers as my top layer.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The best advice I've heard is to dress appx 20 degrees warmer than it really is (ex: it's 55 degrees outside, so dress like it's 75 degrees ... shorts/ singlet and tshirt). That said, when it's really freaking cold: -- layers, like Blaine said -- resist the urge to REALLY bundle up --- you'll be surprised at how warm you get once you start moving -- warm hat that covers the ears -- gloves/ mittens
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm in MI, too (howdy, neighbor!). Last Winter I found that for most runs a single layer on the bottom and 2 on top were good (base layer + fleece or windbreaker...always make that outermost layer something that can easily be zipped all the way off and tied around your waist if you get too warm). When it's really cold and/or windy I would wear wicking long undies under my pants and an additional layer on top. I'd wear heavier gloves, too. I always wear a hat, but for extra cold runs I might wear something like a balaclava or add a neck gaiter. And this Winter I plan to wear sunglasses, since the wind and cold always bug my eyes (in addition to snowflakes hitting my eyeballs and sticking to my eyelashes). I found a nice pair of Tifosi photochromics that I think will be perfect...now I just need to get some sort of anti-fog treatment for them, like Cat Crap, or something. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hazzard_County

Thanks for the replies guys Smile , I figured I would at least need two top layers. I went out & bought a fleece zip up today, and it's ready to go come morning! Zoom- Glad to know I won't be the only one enduring the cold! Good idea on sunglasses, cold + wind bothers my eyes too, I wouldn't have thought of that thanks!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have found that the worst part of Winter running is the footing. Last year I had a few near-misses with the ground. This year I am purchasing a pair of NB 921 Winter trainers, which have removable ice spikes and cushioning designed to stay soft in cold temps. I actually have a pair that were special ordered that I have to return--they run smaller than all the other NB models I have worn. Neat shoes, though. I can't wait to get my proper sized pair and take them out in some snow and ice. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Gig

I just bought some wicking underpants. Last Winter I had some cold-related pains in the groin region. A discussion in this very forum about the sins of cotton underwear set me straight.
                jcasetnl

Hi all, I want to start a running program, but I live in Michigan (winter is pretty darn cold!) - what should I wear on my outdoor runs so that I am not too warm by the end of the run & not to cold at the start! I used to run cross country back in the day, but our seasons never went beyond the month of November so I really have no idea how to dress appropriatley Dec-Feb. Any advice would be great, thanks! Smile
                  It's those first ten minutes that are the toughest. Once you get moving it's not bad. I do some calisthenics like pushups, situps, jumping jacks, etc. before I step outside and that helps with that initial shock when the cold hits you. Down to about 50 degrees, I wear the usual shorts/t-shirt, and some light running mittens. For 40 degrees I go with a long sleeve wicking top, mittens and ear covers. Below 40 degrees, I go look for an indoor pool. Wink

flatland mountaineer

I'm in MI, too (howdy, neighbor!). Last Winter I found that for most runs a single layer on the bottom and 2 on top were good (base layer + fleece or windbreaker...always make that outermost layer something that can easily be zipped all the way off and tied around your waist if you get too warm). When it's really cold and/or windy I would wear wicking long undies under my pants and an additional layer on top. I'd wear heavier gloves, too. I always wear a hat, but for extra cold runs I might wear something like a balaclava or add a neck gaiter. And this Winter I plan to wear sunglasses, since the wind and cold always bug my eyes (in addition to snowflakes hitting my eyeballs and sticking to my eyelashes). I found a nice pair of Tifosi photochromics that I think will be perfect...now I just need to get some sort of anti-fog treatment for them, like Cat Crap, or something. k
                    Even better than sunglasses for very cold temps are ski goggles. Get good quality and no worries on fogging. My #1 item for zero degree running in added comfort is the goggles.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

dougnl

I'm into 10F and lower right now and I'm wearing compression shorts/tights/running shorts on bottom and a long sleeve compression shirt + softshell on top. with gloves and a toque. usually the hat and gloves are off within 15 minutes and the softshell is unzipped shortly after. as for the ice and snow, I'm using yaktrax.
                        Another Michigan runner here. I've been running year round for the last six years and have learned a bit about running in the cold. My clothing system of choice is multiple layers of long sleeve wicking type running clothes top and multiple layers of tights on the bottom. If it's exceptionally cold or windy I'll add an ordinary long sleeve cotton jersey as an outer layer to break the wind and being a guy, a pair of Cool Max briefs is a necessity on all below freezing runs. I've worn as many as three layers plus the jersey on top and three layers below for runs at below 0F temps. A couple rules to remember for winter running is to never wear anything made of cotton next to your skin because it will get wet and conduct heat away from your body and always dress as though it's 20 degrees warmer than it is. Moisture in your enemy so it's much better to under dress than over dress. Also, if the temps are in the single digits be sure to stay close to home or at least close to help. A turned ankle can become a very big deal for a lightly dressed runner at sub zero temps. Tom
                          Run nekkid, you'll be faster and it's quite invigorating.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Top 'O the World!

isn't that the New Year's Eve run???? Evil grin
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

isn't that the New Year's Eve run???? Evil grin
                              They have that nekid' pumpkin run put on by those crazy folks in Boulder on halloween.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

SMART Approach

I am in Green Bay. I will second the layer approach. Up until about 10 degrees (no wind), I am fine with 2 layers on top with at least one wicking layer by skin, preferably two. If a male, compression shorts or extra layer in private area is a good idea. Learned this the hard way during a race at 2 degrees and not enough layers. Oh my god! When it goes to 0 or windchills then you need mittens, all areas of face covered and an extra layer.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com