Tough Mudder (Read 1259 times)

I guess it's not really a race, but more of an obstacle course.  Curious if anybody has run this.  A few friends asked me today about getting in with them...it's going to be in my area in September.

http://toughmudder.com/

I'm running the one at Mt Snow Vermont on May 7th. I'll let you know what I think

No run...need sleepy!

I did the Warrior Dash last year and will do it again.  It was a blast!  Lots of crazies!

The Mudder looks to be tougher though.  I say DO IT!

xor

I've not run one of these... but feedback from friends is kind of odd.  Some folks say "no big deal" and others say "hardest thing EVER".  I guess it depends on the location and how they set up the course.

jfa

Very little real running involved. Lotsa waist deep mud, climbing under and over things. Challenging for sure.

I guess it's not really a race, but more of an obstacle course.  Curious if anybody has run this.  A few friends asked me today about getting in with them...it's going to be in my area in September.

It was a lot of fun..I'd do it again..I would not call it very hard, but I'm sure others would disagree

On On

It was a lot of fun..I'd do it again..I would not call it very hard, but I'm sure others would disagree

I have yet to do one of these mass marketed mud runs but have heard, "If it was so hard that most people couldn't do it, then it wouldn't be so popular."

I guess they make the course to be challenging enough for most to be able to finish and when done you have a sense of accomplishment.

Oh roo roooo!

I received a Groupon for half off on the reg fee for this today.  I have not the slightest interest in doing it as it looks to me like a GREAT way to get hurt (I am long since past my 21 and bulletproof days...) but if anyone is interested, I think you could google Groupon and Tough Mudder and get access to the reduced fee (may only be available until the end of the day today--sometimes these things are only offered for 24 hours, other times they will be on the daily listing for several days). 

Good luck to anybody doing it!  I look forward to tales of adventure!

Tiefsa

I did one yesterday.  If you are a runner, make sure to sign up for the earliest couple of heats.  If you do a later heat, you'll end up waiting in line at obstacles.  Also, they don't check each heat, so even if you get a late heat, just come early and run.  There are no race times.  Just run it and get a great workout out of the race.

Here's a GoPro video of the experience if you want to see what the obstacles are like.

Better I Leave

I've done the 2011 and 2012 NorCal Tough Mudder events. They're a lot of fun and I'm doing the 2013 NorCal TM this year as well.

I completed the Mid-Atlantic TM in April this year. I originally signed up to do it last year but it was canceled due to a bad storm. Training for TM the first time is what got me hooked on running!

The course they had us run seemed a bit sadistic. The trail went down the middle of rocky creeks and straight up the steepest muddiest inclines and at one point it snaked up and down across the side of a hill several times. That wonderful West Virginia shale is sharp and my friend cut his knee on it. The weather was cold and windy and the water in the obstacles is freezing!  I ran the whole thing without stopping even during the last mile when my legs were starting to cramp (I was afraid if I stopped running I'd shiver to death! Big grin).

Most of the obstacles were relatively easy with a few exceptions. Arctic Enema is PAIN, believe the hype! Funky Monkey is harder than it looks and Shock Therapy made me eat mud, it felt like I got hit on the side of my head with a baseball bat!

With all that said, it was a great experience and a lot of fun! I will definitely do it again some time.

Make sure you signup with an early time, most people are slow and don't run the whole thing resulting in crowding later in the day.