Need some plyometrics info (Read 1599 times)

Scout7

Mike, The one article on form drills actually includes strides in there.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Legend has it that some guy from my high school (back in the late 70's / early 80's) tooted on 21 consecutive steps while running. (I think my PR is like 7~8, but I never really trained properly for the event.) Oddly, they don't have that school record hanging on the wall in the gym... Clowning around
      He was jet-propelled, huh?! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

He was jet-propelled, huh?!
        Well, he made varsity on the best x-country team my school's history, so I guess so...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, I decided to throw a few strides into my lunchtime "quickie" (a three-miler -- minds out of the gutter). Clowning around I ran the first strider after about a half mile of warm-up and it felt great -- it's fun to run fast. However, my lower left hammie tightened up on the second one, so that was the end of that. Now for those of you keeping score, this is not the same hamstring I was having trouble with when my hammie issues first appeared about a month ago. Hey, at least they're equal opportunity offenders. I don't doubt the utility of strides -- they were a staple of my workouts back in my racing days. But it looks like I need to be more patient and try to apply the same discipline to strength and flexibility that I do to running. But it's hard -- I'm really itching to run fast. 3 months of dropping weight and running rolling hills nearly every day seem to be paying off -- I can tell that my lungs are ready to throw down, and my guts are ready to throw up, but my legs just aren't quite ready to go along for the ride.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jeff - I've been suffering from a pretty tight left hammie for the past 3 weeks or so. I thought it was from too much / too soon or something, but a couple co-workers thought it might be my stretching. Apparently, I'm the only person they knew who stretched at all - let alone before running. Long story short - I stopped the stretching and magically the hammie is back to normal. Like you, I want to work on flexibility, so after another week or two to make sure it doesn't flare up again, I'm going to try a yoga program I Tivo'd and/or go back to stretching after my runs.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Apparently, I'm the only person they knew who stretched at all - let alone before running. Long story short - I stopped the stretching and magically the hammie is back to normal.
              Yeah, I gave up pre-run stretching a long time ago and try not to ever stretch cold muscles. I'm hoping to get involved in some pilates classes. That will help flexibility, and will possibly address any core strength issues which may be contributing to my hamstring problems...

mikeymike

fwiw, Jeff, I generally need a much longer warmup than half a mile. I generally do at least 3 miles before I throw in any strides. I also start out slow and build speed with each one so the first couple are a lot slower than the last couple--I only know this from doing them with the GPS a few times. That said you were wise to back off for now until your hammies are pain free.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"And too there were questions: What did he eat? Did he believe in isometrics? Isotonics? Ice and heat? How about aerobics, est, ESP, STP? What did he have to say about yoga, yogurt, Yogi Berra? What was his pulse rate, his blood pressure, his time for the 100-yard dash? What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?"
                  mikeymike

I have a copy of OAR in PDF. I'm trying to decide whether to read it, print it out and read it, or keep hunting for a real copy of the book. Modified to add: Don't you have a marathon to run??

Runners run

mikey - is there a place I can get a PDF of OAR? I've been looking without success. modifed: don't need plyo info now - not supposed be doing that Blush

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

mikeymike

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ran right after that Wink I clicked on the link but did not see the place to download it...
                            I ran right after that Wink I clicked on the link but did not see the place to download it...
                            I couldn't either - glad it wasn't just me! Math question? 50 feet ascent over .5 miles - what is the grade?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(50 / (5 280 * 0.5)) * 100 = 1.8 1.8%
                                Thanks! Bike - it sure felt harder than that. I can see I have a lot of work ahead of me... oops that was 30 ft/.1 miles no wonder it felt harder than that! I measured the whole flat section before the hill the 1st time Roll eyes 5.6% ?

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group