training at high elevations (Read 889 times)

I'm running Crater Lake this August also. I figured I'd do a hard one first. My mom has worked communications at the Rim Runs for the last 20 years and convinced me that if I was going to run a marathon I had to run "hers". The difficulty is making me nervous a little but I figure If I just go planning to finish I am sure I will do fine. I live at 3,000. Today we took a drive up to 5,000 feet for a run and I didn't feel much difference. Actually I felt great because it was also 20 degrees cooler!

*´¨) ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.*¨) (¸.·´ (¸.·´ *Daisy*

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Great Wall and Comrades are 2 others I am interested in.
      Sounds like you need to come and run Monkey...

Imminent Catastrophe

Trent never passes up an opportunity...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go Pre!

Sorry Trent, I did mean to mention running your Monkey Hunt - I am interested in the crowded types first but I see myself running The Flying Monkey after satiating my hunger for the gaudy events Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

Cool! That one gets great reviews in terms of scenery and difficulty. Good stuff! I look forward to your report.
            http://www.runningahead.com/maps/714e9a56dea043eabb75548bde53f8bd Hmmm, I better do some hillwork.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Thanks for the Map. I've heard some stories about that big hill!

*´¨) ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.*¨) (¸.·´ (¸.·´ *Daisy*

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the Map. I've heard some stories about that big hill!
                My map is just an "best guess", but I think that it's pretty close, and the elevation profile got my attention! Yeah, that hill looks brutal. See ya there, daisy!

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm currently in Artesia, New Mexico running...I left Jacksonville, FL which is right at sea level...Artesia is above 6k feet....The first few days it felt strange running around here, but now I'm doing alright...For my mid-term PT test I ran a mile and a half in 10:03... Just my $0.02
                  dmiller, looks like I'll be joining you in Artesia in a couple of weeks. How's the running?

Hi there, I live and train at 5500ft. I noticed when I began that I was slow, and had difficulty breathing the thinner air. But, that passes, and by day 3 you should be fine! Smile