Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

SMART Approach

Good Luch Michigan! An outdoor race will give you a better idea of true fitness vs time trials. Most can't match the times in a time trial vs a "race". I am hoping that first mile for you is not  faster than 6:50 for you Smile

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

SMART Approach

I am making my first attempt of the year on Friday evening.  I know I won't hit 20:00 but will nice to see where I am at. Hammys seem to be in check the last few weeks - just sore but able to bounce back from every run. It is kind of strange as I have done nothing different other than switching Fish Oil brands and incorporating Quercetin/Bromelain twic daily on empty stomach. I am sticking to it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

I had a really good 5x1000 workout last week.  Feeling a bit tired after upping my mileage recently (54mi in the last 7 days is high for me!).  My wife's been sick for a week and a half now, serious enough that I've been sleeping in the spare room to avoid her germs.  As of this AM ... starting to feel a cold in the back of my throat.  Hopefully, I'm just mini-tweaking, 'cause I'm feeling fairly optimistic otherwise.

I guess I should update, for whatever reason.  Didn't hit my 20 (or I'd have posted sooner!), despite running 4min/km in a 5.5km race last DEC and hitting the above workout.  Had the pace, felt good ... but then stomach troubles started and grew to the point of my hurling at about 3.5km.  Lost time, lost my goal, lost some motivation, and didn't really work the final km like I normally would've.  So 20:44 that could've been maybe 20:35 with my usual push ... and probably sub-20 if not for the chunder.  The ability is in there -- I just need to get the stupid stuff squared away and let it come out.

Might try again in mid-May; not the PR-friendliest course around, but not bad.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I am back from my race!

I had trouble finding my parking spot (I am not that familiar with MSU).

I parked at 10:15 and hurried to find the table to register.

I registered and got race bib number 67! Wow this would be a small field!

This was a 3.31 mile course because they modified the course to go past Chittendon Hall which this race was about..Get Chitt Done 5k.

I jogged a little over a mile then stretched and ran a couple race pace efforts for 60 seconds each.

I found my groove on the 2nd one and felt that would be a good race pace.

I chatted with a few runners at the start who assured me they had done almost no running leading up to this race.

I was worried about leading and not knowing the course so I decided to start out behind a few runners.

I was right on the start line when the go signal came.

I filled in behind a couple runners (an older guy and a younger guy).

There was a white chalk line to follow. The couple runners got ahead of me by 5-10 seconds early on.

I was in 3rd place but was passed after about 150 meters to fall to 4th place.

We made a few turns in the 1st half mile and I was passed by another younger runner to fall into 5th place.

I felt okay like I was going slow but not too slow to kill my time.

I saw a sign ahead on the grass and glanced at my watch still around 5:40.

As I got closer I saw the sigh said 1 mile keep going!

I passed this sign at 6:08.

Well I figured my pace was probably close to 7:00 and not 6:08 but you never know.

I did not try to slow down I kept my pace as I felt pretty good.

At about the halfway point we ascended a large hill.

I could not hear anyone behind me but was trying to stay in 5th place.

Then we went down the long hill and I tried to put distance ahead of whomever was behind me.

I kept looking at race spectators trying to gauge if anyone was close behind me but got no sign.

I did not want to turn around to look for fear if there was nobody behind me I woudl just cruise the rest of the way.

Well there was no 2 mile marker if there was I missed it.

I remember crossing a street and a volunteer said 19:38 and I knew I had a long way left to go

therefore I started to realize I was pretty slow today. I wanted to hold 5th place as my best in a race was 6th place several years ago.

I could see 3rd and 4th place about 30 seconds ahead of me... no way I could catch them unless they fell off the pace severely.

I stopped my watch where I thought the 5k mark was and it read 22:06.

I finished in 23:49 which would put me closer to a 22:29 5k effort.

Much slower than I was aiming for. But the 1st race in many years kept me way too conservative.

I do not know what I am capable of. I felt very rested after it was over. I could have taken some time off this effort for sure.

I think once I had 5th place I did not want to lose it and played it too conservative.

My next race may be a 10k.

MF - some times I think you think to much.

I do get that over-analyzing everything is part of the fun, but sometimes I think you get in your own way a little bit.

But I guess you sort of said that already in your post.  Congrats on the 5th place.  It's gotta be fun running near the front.

My first attempt is on Saturday. I'm running a local race here in Philly. I looked through the results from the past few years and it looks to be a pretty small race. The course goes through a cemetery where I used to do a lot of my training, so that'll be nice. I remember it as being pretty flat, but my memory may be off.

I'm a little nervous but mostly excited. It'll be my first 5k since late 2009. My running has been going pretty well. I was battling shin splints for a while but they seem to be 100% now. I had a good workout today: 3x3x400m at something close to 5k pace (?). I'm hoping to get into the 21 minute range but I really have no idea what's going to happen.

SMART Approach

Last Saturday I did a 20:24. Quite happy with that to say the least. My splits were 6:30, 6:55 (into breeze) and 6:18 with fast finish. My weight is up a few lbs and have not done any real "work outs" so pleased. If I can stay healthy, 20 min is in reach this year. Focusing on a half and two  10Ks in May and June right now.  The Fall months will be my best chance I think unless I can squeeze a 5K or two in during summer months. I may try again later this month.

CliveF -- 12MAY2012 -- Run Wild 5k

Not focused strongly on breaking 20, but that seems to be about where my 5k race pace should be these days.  So yeah, I'll take a whack at it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Last Saturday I did a 20:24. Quite happy with that to say the least. My splits were 6:30, 6:55 (into breeze) and 6:18 with fast finish. My weight is up a few lbs and have not done any real "work outs" so pleased. If I can stay healthy, 20 min is in reach this year. Focusing on a half and two  10Ks in May and June right now.  The Fall months will be my best chance I think unless I can squeeze a 5K or two in during summer months. I may try again later this month.

That is a strong time. I wish I was in that range but probably am just above 21.

I have been doing almost all slow efforts this year focused on just running for fun.

March 25 I ran my 1st race which was just over 5k and on April 3rd I ran intervals with the track club.

6 X 880 with around 40 seconds rest between each (We began each next interval at each 4 minute total timeframe).

I really felt good by the last one.

3:30

3:25

3:15

3:27

3:09

I think doing this speedwork was more beneficial to me than anything else I have done in a month.

I would like to get a 5k race effort in to see if I can keep sub 7 minute pace.

sjutton - April 7 - Furman 5k

Here we go.  Coming off a 1:38 half Marathon on March 18 - not done much since, so we'll see.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

RootieKazootie

I really felt good by the last one.

3:30

3:15

3:27

3:09

I think doing this speedwork was more beneficial to me than anything else I have done in a month.

I would like to get a 5k race effort in to see if I can keep sub 7 minute pace.

I'd put money on you keeping up sub 7 minute pace after that workout, especially if you felt really good by

the last one.

I was on for my 1st ever 200 mile month in March. Got to 186 and picked up a nasty bug that led to a chest

infection. Thought i was over it but could only manage half a mile at 8 minute pace yesterday. Had to stop

because i couldn't breathe.

Has anyone been in the same boat? How long did it take you to get running again?

SMART Approach

I would suggest going out slower at a 9-10 minute pace unless you have asthma or serious lung issues that may harmful. You can run but just go slower.  This is better than not running at all  (as long as you have no fever). You need to keep your fitness. It is not as fun but you can try. If you simply cannot function even at a slow pace then give yourself another week but walk on a treadmill on an incline.

hairshirt knitter

'k, I'm on the list, but hadn't committed to a race yet, so can you put me down for an attempt at the Field of Dream 5k Sunday May 6?

I have another 5k the week before, but I think that's going to be a tune-up and see where I am type of race. Breaking 20 is a long shot I think. I feel like I'm running well, but still just haven't quite got enough speed. My right hamstring is sore and is holding me back a bit as I don't want to make it worse. Anyway, it'll be close... I'm running 1k intervals reasonably comfortably in the 4:05 +-5s range.

4 weeks today...

I'm probably going to take another crack at it on April 22nd at the Mundy Pond 5k.  

There is nothing in my training to suggest that sub-20 will actually happen this time, and my recent mileage has certainly been nothing to write home about ("Dear Mom and Dad, you won't believe my mileage..."); but hey, no guts, no glory. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I decided to run a time trial on low mileage hoping that my 18 mile weeks would give me a boost from the rest.

I wanted to go under 7 minute miles and figured that would not be too difficult despite my 3.31 mile race a couple weeks ago at 7:11 pace.

From this past Tuesday's 6 X 800 interval workout I knew what 7:00 per mile pace felt like so that helped.

I hit a half mile in 3:23 & there was a long uphill in that stretch so I felt good.

I tried not to increase the speed but the next half mile has a long downhill so I hit a mile in 6:39

I felt this would really give me a nice cushion to staying ahead of sub 7.

But I knew that was probably too fast for my ability.

I tried to take it easier and stay under 7 but my next couple half miles came in at 3:31 and 3:32.

I felt okay but was becoming worse as the 2nd mile went on. I was at 2 miles in 13:42 and thought sub 7 was in the bag but did not want to run another 7 minute final mile so tried to find some in the tank for the last half mile.

I ran the 5th half mile in 3:33 which put me at 17:15 elapsed.

I came through 2.75 miles in 18:52 which really pleased me & was surprising.

The 3 mile mark went by in 20:31 and uphill to the finish at 21:12.

Sub 21 is in sight for sure. Had I really put the throttle down the last half mile it would have been close but I realized I was just a little behind sub 21 when I hit 2.75 so I kept it in check.

6:39, 7:03 and 6:49 mile splits. Total time 21:12.